Mist 0.3.1 backup

ArpFlushArpFlush Member Posts: 14
Hello, I'm going to migrate to mist 0.3.9 but on another OSX system. To play safe, I like to backup my 0.3.1 wallet. How do I proceed?
Thanks

Comments

• JabulonJabulon Member Posts: 45
    edited February 2016
    Partial answer here, to which I'll add a question of my own. So, you will find your keystore, chaindata and other files in a hidden folder ~/.ethereum. Ctrl+h will show that folder. In theory, according to my understanding, a minimal (but sufficient) backup would simply be to copy your keystore files. Otherwise you can copy the entire data directory, and copy it over when you set up your new instance.

Note, I have not had the occasion to try this yet (apart from backing up my files), so perhaps there are delicacies to be aware of that someone else can speak about.

What I did try was to download the latest mist version (3.9) on the same machine as my old one, figuring I could just run it and it would find everything it needed from the existing datadir. This did not quite work. It did show my etherbase account, but the two wallets I created did not appear (a bit scary since that's where 99% of my coins are). When I closed out and ran mist from the older version (3.7), everything was normal again and all my coins appeared. So, I'm a little 'mistified'.

Edit: looking around for info, I found this: https://klmoney.wordpress.com/chapter-2-working-with-wallet-contracts/#c2q

Edit: Sorry, you're on OSX. Coorect path to wallet data: Mac: ~/Library/Application Support/Mist
    Post edited by Jabulon on