ethOS - Linux Ethereum Mining Platform

Comments

• kotariuskotarius Member Posts: 331 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2016
    Sorry gorgamin, I am not a bank. If you want to buy ethOS and don't have $39, maybe paypal can extend you a $39 line of credit.

Edit: gpuShack accepts BTC, it is one of the options available during checkout after you enter your address. You can enter a bogus address if you want, it is just a limitation of our ecommerce platform.
  • gorgamingorgamin Member Posts: 18
    edited October 2016
    kotarius said:

Sorry gorgamin, I am not a bank. If you want to buy ethOS and don't have $39, maybe paypal can extend you a $39 line of credit.

Edit: gpuShack accepts BTC, it is one of the options available during checkout after you enter your address. You can enter a bogus address if you want, it is just a limitation of our ecommerce platform.

;) Hehe. You're right. Sorry for the hassle and putting up with me. I see it now, my bad. Look forward to checking it out. I'll buy you a beer. ^^
  • gorgamingorgamin Member Posts: 18

What people like @gorgamin need to learn is that @kotarius doesn't owe you anything.

He doesn't have to give you the software for free, or his source code, either, and it's a gross misunderstanding of the GPL to suggest that he does.

Firstly he is absolutely allowed to sell the software. Secondly, if you buy the software, then he needs to give you a copy of the source code, either included with the software or on request. But he doesn't need to give it to any dick or harry off the street just because they want it.

Those people who think a cost equivalent to about 3 ether is too much of an outlay for one of the core components of their mining operation are kidding themselves about a lot of things, and they can continue to do so for all I care, but let's not muddy the GPL into it.

You're right.
  • ulfbertulfbert Member Posts: 64
    edited October 2016
    Anyone running EthOS having rig issues over the last few days? It's the latest update. My rig, 5x390's, with 4g's, stopped mining a few days ago. I restarted, it started mining again with no issues ( the cards did seem a little slow to start hashing) and now it dropped off again to zero. The rig has been running since mid August without a hiccup. This happened in August for a week maybe ten days, where it wouldn't run for more that 2 days without dropping. The CPU and GPU fans run, but it doesn't hash. It won't let me SSH into the machine and the local monitor is completely frozen when this happens. Needs a complete restart. Any general ideas? Could it be a DAG issue?

I'm pool mining. I changed pools, but it's still happening on the other pool.

My cards are stock bios and not overclocked.
  • drizzt_do_urdendrizzt_do_urden Member Posts: 181 ✭✭✭
    sorry guys. i purchased the Ethos and installed it on my rigs. doesn't support the moded bios on any cards. can't adjust mV. does not worth it! I admint it is simple and elegant. but it is not profitable!
  • newmznewmz AustraliaMember Posts: 299 ✭✭✭
    ulfbert said:

Anyone running EthOS having rig issues over the last few days? It's the latest update. My rig, 5x390's, with 4g's, stopped mining a few days ago. I restarted, it started mining again with no issues ( the cards did seem a little slow to start hashing) and now it dropped off again to zero. The rig has been running since mid August without a hiccup. This happened in August for a week maybe ten days, where it wouldn't run for more that 2 days without dropping. The CPU and GPU fans run, but it doesn't hash. It won't let me SSH into the machine and the local monitor is completely frozen when this happens. Needs a complete restart. Any general ideas? Could it be a DAG issue?

I'm pool mining. I changed pools, but it's still happening on the other pool.

My cards are stock bios and not overclocked.

No problems with my rigs, I have 5 x 290s, 2 x 290Xs, 1 x 390 & 2 x 380s. All on 2 rigs running EthOS 1.0.7

Sounds like you have a hardware problem somewhere rather than EthOS problem, unless there's a problem with the newer EthOS version. Check all your risers first, then you could try unplugging all GPUs but one in the x16 PCIE slot. If that doesn't work try a different GPU. If that doesn't work it's a probably not the GPUs. If it does work with one GPU add the other GPUs one by one until it fails again and then you will know which GPU or riser is the problem.

If you have any overclocks drop them back to factory settings.
  • TEZTOUZTEZTOUZ Member Posts: 14
    @kotarius I purchased ethOS a few months back and I received a username and password for the download link, i had my rig fail and now i need to reinstall ethOS but my username and password no longer work with the download link.

I have emailed you guys over the past week but no one has responded to me. How can I download the latest ethOS?

My order# 7000. and the email was sent to Alex Levin.

Thank you.
  • cascadia_coincascadia_coin Member Posts: 67

@kotarius can you provide a status update on RX 480 support?

sorry guys. i purchased the Ethos and installed it on my rigs. doesn't support the moded bios on any cards. can't adjust mV. does not worth it! I admint it is simple and elegant. but it is not profitable!

What do you mean it does not support the modded bios on any of your cards? Do the cards not show up or what? I ask because I am about to build some 470 and 480 rigs and I've been weighing whether to mod their bios's. I am exclusively linux based (ethOS and/or PiMP) and would never use Windows for anything but gaming so if modding Bios's only achieves a higher hashrate under Windows then I might as well stop looking into modding.

Did you check the hashrate your pool says you're doing after a few hours to see if what it reports is higher than ethOS? I heard that with modded bios the cards hashrate is not read properly under linux but the cards actually are performing faster than linux reports. Check with your pool and see if that's the case maybe?

ethOS is an awesome mining platform and well supported.
  • cascadia_coincascadia_coin Member Posts: 67
    TEZTOUZ said:

@kotarius I purchased ethOS a few months back and I received a username and password for the download link, i had my rig fail and now i need to reinstall ethOS but my username and password no longer work with the download link.

I have emailed you guys over the past week but no one has responded to me. How can I download the latest ethOS?

My order# 7000. and the email was sent to Alex Levin.

Thank you.

They changed the username and password, try writing to GPUshack about it and they will send you the new one.
    TEZTOUZ said:

Thank you.

Got your email and replied on Oct 6th. I think your mail server rejected our email. Forwarded from my personal account to your email. If you have not received it yet, please resend your email with another email provider (if possible).
  • drizzt_do_urdendrizzt_do_urden Member Posts: 181 ✭✭✭
    @cascadia_coin I have all my cards moded I have rx 480's. in windows they work just fine with 29 mhs and 120 watt at the wall. but in ethos the same cards only do 24 mhs and can't lower the mV to 890 so it uses more power. around 150 at the wall. so the loss of MHS and increase of energy use it is not a good combination. went back to windows. lost 40 bucks ;)
  • techtottechtot Member Posts: 339 ✭✭✭
    i think there is supposed to be an update/newer version for the RX series soon, right @kotarius ?
    I too am waiting and went back to windows until RX compatibility was better. Seems like ethos is great for R9 2xx/3xx cards though..
  • shreddmatrixshreddmatrix Member Posts: 1
    I feel like this is a rookie question, but what is ethOS payout schedule?
  • theclamtheclam Member Posts: 91
    edited November 2016
    everyone has to learn... Ethos doesn't payout, the mining pool you choose does the payouts. You can adjust the payout amount on most pools. Some payout once or twice a day, some payout at coin thresholds that you set..
  • mettalmagmettalmag Member Posts: 20
    I'm fed up with shitty windows 7/10 stability and blackouts cause the huge problem. Farm is quite far away from home and if blackout happens at night only 30% of rigs came to life, other 70% should be powered manually.. So I'm looking for stable and reliable solution for my farm... There are 60+ rigs with 200+ GPU, the mining is splitted into three parts which means there are three different wallets/workers. What we need is a monitoring system and easy switchable solution from zcash to ethereum. I was thinking to order 2 or 3 ssd to test the OS itself. Also have some questions, some of them here and some in other posts.
    How easy it is to control/monitor rigs remotely?
    Also switching from coin to coin?
    How fast is zcash miner, Claymore gives 130h/s from my rx480.
    How modified bios affects eth mining ? I have modded all of them low power mod with 29.4mh/s.
    Can I integrate all rigs in one monitoring window and also split in 2 or more instances for different persons to watch their miners ?

edited November 2016
    @mettalmag Make sure your PDUs stagger power for each rig. For example port1, 10 sec, port 2, 20 sec delay, port 3, 30 sec delay.

If you have blackouts, you will have problems mining regardless of OS.

In any case, please check out http://ethosdistro.com/ , specifically, the feature set below:

Features

• Boots and mines: Automatic IP/hostname assignment, no need to install any drivers, configure XWindows, or compile any software.
    • Browser-based terminal: allow setup and configuration of ethOS rigs by connecting to their IP addresses via your web browser.
    • Supports multiple coins: Ready to mine Ethereum, Zcash, and many other gpu-minable coins.
    • Supports all hardforks and softforks: Blockchain syncing handled by pools and wallets.
    • Supports up to 8 AMD GPUs: Any 2GB+ HD 7000 series, any R9 200/300/Fury/Nano, and any RX 400 series.
    • Works on your hardware: Running on thousands of rigs with thousands of different components.
    • Remote configuration: Instruct rig to remote reboot, set core clocks, mem clocks, fan control, pool info, and other settings remotely.
    • Extremely lightweight: Works with weakest possible CPU made in the last 5 generations on only 2gb of ram.
    • Automatic GPU overheat protection: GPUs will automatically throttle or turn off if they reach temperature thresholds.
    • Stratum enabled: Automatically configured to mine via efficient stratum.
    • Automatic reporting: Web panel with detailed rig statistics, charts, and event reports (example).
    • Easy KVM: A terminal window opens with focus on boot, no mouse required.
    • Easy update: Update to the latest ethOS version with a single command.
    • Fast startup: Fast miner startup, low disk/cpu usage, and no out-of-space issues.
  • roninronin Member Posts: 25
    edited November 2016
    trying to get connected to suprnova any ideas what I am doing wrong? single rig mode

globalminer zcash-miner
    maxgputemp 85
    stratumproxy enabled
    proxywallet my zec account name.my six digit rig name
    proxypool1 zec.suprnova.cc:2142
    flags --cl-global-work 16384 --farm-recheck 200
    globalcore 1150
    globalmem 1500
    globalfan 70
    globalminer zcash-miner
    poolpass1 x
    @ronin

http://ethosdistro.com/kb/#password-pools

proxywallet should be just your account name.
  • roninronin Member Posts: 25
    ah poolside name only, thanks kotarius I did read that a few times just did'nt register
  • SpectrosSpectros Member Posts: 4
    @kotarius

Why is 8 GPU limitation? I'm thinking to use your system at 12 GPU rig. Is it posiible at all?

Thanks a lot for your comments in advance!
  • dakotadakota Member Posts: 5
    How do I change the worker name? Whenever I edit the /etc/hostname and /etc/hosts it doesn't save when I reboot
  • buffybuffy Member Posts: 101 ✭✭
    i think you can't change it. it's generate automatically from MAC address.
  • kristofferjonkristofferjon Sagittarius AMember Posts: 77 ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Change the worker name by putting an entry like this in your config file:

loc [6 character rig ID] [name]

example:

loc 8eaa5f IS-rig61
  • pouzypouzy Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I can't seem to find any other thread of forum with ethos support.
    I see that there's a mention for remote rebooting of the rig in the remote config file, but I don't understand how to tell the rig to reboot by changing the config file. Anybody knows ?

Thanks !
  • kristofferjonkristofferjon Sagittarius AMember Posts: 77 ✭✭
    pouzy said:

Hi, I can't seem to find any other thread of forum with ethos support.
    I see that there's a mention for remote rebooting of the rig in the remote config file, but I don't understand how to tell the rig to reboot by changing the config file. Anybody knows ?

Thanks !

Add a line like this to your config:

reb e3c33a 0

Replace 'e3c33a' with the ID of your rig, then increment 0 to 1 to reboot, then 1 to 2 and so on for the next reboot.
  • pouzypouzy Member Posts: 2
    Perfect, thanks ! I added reb 1, but didn't put the ID.
  • rachetaracheta Member Posts: 20
    Yo guys I am planning to make a Custom Web Stats Panel for ethOS
    Please read here
    https://forum.ethereum.org/discussion/11871/do-you-guys-want-a-ethos-custom-web-stats-panel
  • natminernatminer Member Posts: 3
    Not sure if any configuration can be done in ethOS to help this, but I have 8 GPUs and so I had to put one GPU on an M.2 adapter. The problem I'm having is that the GPU on the M.2 adapter has a much lower hashrate (22 MH/s instead of over 29). Is this normal when using an M.2 adapter, is there anything that can be done? In the BIOS I tested both 2x and 4x speeds on the M.2.
  • cristisstcristisst Member Posts: 11
    Is there any way to change the worker name in ethos?
  • rachetaracheta Member Posts: 20
    cristisst said:

Is there any way to change the worker name in ethos?

not easily i suppose
    it is set at boot time so you'll need to edit some scripts i guess