ethpool.org - Predictable solo mining pool

Comments

• happytreefriendshappytreefriends Member Posts: 537 ✭✭✭

I got this a few times yesterday and the day before. Just FYI.
  • dr_pradr_pra Member Posts: 445 ✭✭✭
    this might happen if your miner submits an invalid share to the pool (for whatever reason).
    No invalids have been reported when I check the status page.
    Once Homestead hits, do we need to switch to the new ethminer executable?
    I know your pool is already homestead ready, butdon't we need to use a different miner?
    No, the current mining software is fully compatible.
  • zorvalthzorvalth Member Posts: 174
    edited March 2016
    I think there is something worng with these invalid shares. If I use qtminer i got several per rig per hour. I got rigs in 3 separate locations. I moved to ethminer+proxy and non invalid shares at all. Probably it didint count them when using ethminer+proxy. Anyway I think they need to be reseted frequently...

Here are some examples on people who are probably using qtminer

http://ethpool.org/miners/10d50b62a87413dfd8b111398613f2eb8d819f6c
    http://ethpool.org/miners/86a46d59965bd19dcf1c6e7ed512e17cc0ea52c7
    http://ethpool.org/miners/d5d9a0033e6b0a3ba7634d0e1a9055ad5f452c3d
  • ghostghost Member Posts: 21
    Is here anyone from ethpool support?
    Could someone explain what is it?
    https://etherchain.org/tx/0x1811e81e1e0351061c0fa15f0ea318918761128d0787f86c3aca1276a178a121

What kind of reward is that? It is not 5eth even nearly
    It looks like qtminer does not validate shares locally (for performance reasons) before submitting them to the pool. That might cause more invalid shares send to the pool compared to ethminer. Ethminer also generates invalid shares but validates them locally (message: GPU gave incorrect result) before sending them upstream.

@ghost This is an uncle reward.
    dr_pra said:

So i mined for 10 hours and got only 1.85eth?
    What is the point of such mining if on dwarfpool i'm been rewarded on a constant basis
  • EtheonEtheon Member Posts: 5
    So you waited for a block and you just had an uncle reward ? That scares me a little bit cause I switched from dwarfpool to ethpool but if I potentially have 2 eth for 4 days of mining, what's the point ?
    it is exactly like solo mining. If you mine 10h solo there is also a chance that you receive an uncle. ethpool.org has one of the lowest uncle rates among all large pools so the chance is quite small that you receive an uncle (currently at around 4%). I agree that you were quite unlucky that you receive an uncle as a first reward but unfortunately luck is still part of the game.
    Etheon said:

So you waited for a block and you just had an uncle reward ? That scares me a little bit cause I switched from dwarfpool to ethpool but if I potentially have 2 eth for 4 days of mining, what's the point ?

Tonight i will calculate average income on ethpool.org to see if it is more profitable than dwarfpool.
    But even without calculation I see it might be the same excelt you can get uncle. On dwarfpool you wont get it
  • crsminercrsminer Member Posts: 75
    zorvalth said:

I think there is something worng with these invalid shares. If I use qtminer i got several per rig per hour. I got rigs in 3 separate locations. I moved to ethminer+proxy and non invalid shares at all. Probably it didint count them when using ethminer+proxy. Anyway I think they need to be reseted frequently...

Here are some examples on people who are probably using qtminer

http://ethpool.org/miners/10d50b62a87413dfd8b111398613f2eb8d819f6c
    http://ethpool.org/miners/86a46d59965bd19dcf1c6e7ed512e17cc0ea52c7
    http://ethpool.org/miners/d5d9a0033e6b0a3ba7634d0e1a9055ad5f452c3d

Subscribe to this.

I also have a lot of invalid shares running qtminer on my AMD rigs.
    Running eth-proxy does not show invalid shares so I cannot tell if I have them.
    Also running ethminer-0.9.41-genoil-1.0.4b3 (version with stratum) has issues because it freezes after some time.

Question is, is there a solution to run without invalid shares or with under 5 as front page says?
  • crsminercrsminer Member Posts: 75
    @dr_pra

One suggestion please, IMO it is better to sort the workers by worker name that we give them because when having multiple workers it's hard spot fast wich one is online/working correctly etc.

And another one, if you can bold or something this phrase "Currently xx workers are active". It is the first thing that I am looking when I open the page so I know if I have offline workers. Maybe put it right below "My workers" text.

Thank you and keep up the good work.

Best pool in term of payouts!
    @ghost you need to compare pool income over a long period of time (at least one week) and weight it by the difficulty of this period. Everything else is not representative and can't be used to draw any conclusions.

@crsminer we will rework the worker section to sort it by worker name, highlight invalid workers and give a clearly visible count of active & problematic worker.
  • dlehenkydlehenky Member Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭✭
    ghost said:

dr_pra said:

So i mined for 10 hours and got only 1.85eth?
    What is the point of such mining if on dwarfpool i'm been rewarded on a constant basis
    Perhaps because the constant reward you receive from dwarfpool is measurably less than the less frequent reward from ethpool.org, based on ETH/hash rate? Would you rather work a 40 hour work week getting paid $7/hr, where your boss hands you $7 each hour you work ($280/week), or be paid $400 at the end of the work week (that's $10/hr)? That is a very accurate analogy of the difference between dwarfpool vs ethpool.

As far as uncles go, get over it. All blockchain mining produces uncles (or orphans, etc.). Dwarfpool has a higher average uncle rate than ethpool.
  • zorvalthzorvalth Member Posts: 174
    edited March 2016
    Its not that much its more like 280 and 300 :)

And here is statistic about uncles: http://i.imgur.com/H80cvRM.png
    https://etherchain.org/statistics/miners

Also you have 2gh/s you get a block every other hour. Clearly a slow miner with 50mh/s if mine a uncle after 4 days he need to mine at least a month or two to get even...

I like the pool but there two thing i cant agree:
    1. It favores the big miners. All big miners are finishing with big lead over the runners up and all small miners are finishing with almost no lead becase there is always a big one right behind them. As I said earlier i think that the current credits on mined block its better to be subtracted with the current difficulty.
    2. Uncles are not distributed fairly. They can be collected and reworded as block once they got a sum of 5 ethers. Then every single reward will be full block reward. And small miner who mined 5 days for his block wont feel like the unluckiest guy in the world.
    Thanks for your suggestions, I like your idea regarding uncle reward distribution, will look into that if it can be implemented in an efficient way. The problem with your first suggestion is that when the pool is lucky the difficulty is higher than the top credits. This would cause the credits to go negative and miners would simply switch to a new address and keep the neg. balance on the old one.
  • Bensam123Bensam123 Member Posts: 62
    After using the pool off and on and comparing other pools, please consider the following.

When workers go offline, instead of reducing datapoints in the graph, make a gap. It's much easier to see and figure out where the miners went down. Also add a timestamp on the X axis for the worker graphs.

Payout information reallllly needs to be added. Income over the last 24hr, income for the last hr, and payout history. Estimated payouts are great and everything, but they don't tell you enough.

It would be great if the pool also paid uncles, however, I think that's the pool decision. It's part of the reason why Dwarfpool is so big.
    So about how much is 'lost' to the miners since uncles are not paid? Any1 run the numbers yet?
    Also. Is there a way to bring back a 'live' and current hash rate? This 60minute average for the 'current' hash rate is useless when trying to see stats on rigs individually.

I'm still 10% under actual rates. It is going up but slowly as hell.
    @happytreefriends Re: Uncles not paid. Who's not paying uncles? I've gotten 3 uncles on ethpool, and I received the uncle award. Are you referring to a different pool?
    dlehenky said:

@happytreefriends Re: Uncles not paid. Who's not paying uncles? I've gotten 3 uncles on ethpool, and I received the uncle award. Are you referring to a different pool?

I thought it was inferred above that ethpool does not pay/distribute uncles.
    Pretty sure they didn't or they don't mention it. Either way, if they're just paid to the blockfinder it's a heavily biased system as you're on a pool because you want to distribute payouts to people who don't have enough hash to find blocks on their own on a regular basis.

Uncles only to blockfinders basically allows big miners to skim the pool system, while having the benefits of being a solo miners.
    @Bensam123 So, I say above that I've gotten 3 uncle awards mining on ethpool, but you're "Pretty sure they didn't or they don't mention it". ??? Have you even mined on ethpool?

"Uncles only to blockfinders basically allows big miners to skim the pool system, while having the benefits of being a solo miners."

How do you figure that? Big miners are going to get more blocks than little miners, right? There are 3-4% uncles on ethpool, about the lowest pool around, so who do you think is going to get the most uncles? I'll give you a hint: it's not the little miners.
    I have, but I haven't received a uncle block or mined a uncle block.

I don't think you understand what a pool is for. A pool isn't there to reward people for the most hashrate who could mine solo, they're there to reward everyone equally for the amount of work they put in and spread out reward over everyone. If you work more, sure you get paid more, however you don't get rewarded disproportionally more then everyone else because you work more. You get paid proportionally for the amount of work you put in.

Even if there is a wee little hasher with 1Mh/s of hash, he still gets paid equally for the amount of work he puts in compared to a 20Gh.

That's the fundamental of a pool. Because the 1Mh guy can occasionally find a uncle or a block and can pay back to the other miners.
  • thesmokingmanthesmokingman Member Posts: 152 ✭✭
    FYI

Looks like the pool & website is down...failing my rigs over to another pool till everything is restored
    @thesmokingman Yep. Seems that my rigs that are connected are still mining, but I can't make a new connection. Can't even ping the IP. I can ping the eu1 server, but I can't seem to get the proxy working against that site (I'm is US).
  • thesmokingmanthesmokingman Member Posts: 152 ✭✭
    @dlehenky same here I'm East Coast US and I can't ping the site or the pool. Every instance of qtminer was giving me a socket error and not hashing. Hopefully for those that can still mine the backend is configured so it saves work/credits even though the site is down...