Solo mined a block and did not receive credit for it!

MrYukonCMrYukonC Member Posts: 627 ✭✭✭
edited September 2015 in Mining
As the title says, I mined a block (at 14:15:09 in the attached screenshot), and never received credit for it. Coincidentally, there is a block in the block chain (with a different hash) at nearly the same time that I "mined" this block, but the miner is listed as a different address: https://etherchain.org/block/253916

Am I missing something?

Post edited by MrYukonC on

Comments

• MrYukonCMrYukonC Member Posts: 627 ✭✭✭
    I just wanted to update this because I've tried solo mining at least 2 more times since I posted this and this has happened each of those 2 times. :|

The latest incident was this morning -- I "mined" 3 blocks in ~2.5 hour window (currently hashing at ~403 MH/s). I received credit for the first 2, and did not receive credit for the 3rd.

What is a "stale" block and can/does it apply to Ethereum? I assume it means someone else also computed the correct result for the block and their submitted result was accepted by the network before mine?

If that is the case, it sure would be nice to know via some kind of notification by the client (cpp-ethereum in this case) that the block was not accepted.

The frequency with which this happens just seems wrong and/or broken to me as I have a solid internet connection.

Anyone have any input on this?
  • jambttjambtt Member Posts: 6
    Sorry I cannot help you with your question. Just curious what setup you are using to get a 400MH/s hashrate?

Are you sure that is not 400H/s?

Thanks
    jambtt said:

Just curious what setup you are using to get a 400MH/s hashrate?

Are you sure that is not 400H/s?

Thanks

Ummm, I am 100% certain of my hashrate. 15 x R9 290X + 3 x R9 270 will easily give you 400+ MH/s.

Since that original post, I've made tweaks and things now run around 420 MH/s.
  • skithunoskithuno Member Posts: 74
    Increase the number of people you are peering to. e.g. in go-ethereum
    build/bin/geth -rpc console -maxpeers '100'
    It will decrease your block propagation time and decrease the probability of being orphaned.
    The original post is way old at this point and was with the C++ version of eth, which had problems.

I've long since switched to using Geth and there haven't been anymore problems.

Please stop responding, thanks!