Final steps: Frontier is launching at testnet block #1028201

StephanTualStephanTual London, EnglandMember, Moderator Posts: 1,282 mod

Comments

• celticwarrior72celticwarrior72 Member Posts: 83
  • gcolbourngcolbourn Member Posts: 48
    Does Geth need to be installed/updated using git to get the Frontier update? I Installed from PPA (https://github.com/ethereum/go-ethereum/wiki/Installation-Instructions-for-Ubuntu). Will I be able to do a "sudo apt-get upgrade" or will I have to uninstall/delete everything manually and reinstall with git?
  • roz303roz303 Member Posts: 66
    edited July 2015
    gcolbourn said:

Does Geth need to be installed/updated using git to get the Frontier update? I Installed from PPA (https://github.com/ethereum/go-ethereum/wiki/Installation-Instructions-for-Ubuntu). Will I be able to do a "sudo apt-get upgrade" or will I have to uninstall/delete everything manually and reinstall with git?

It needs to be updated to version 1.0.0, so sudo apt-get upgrade ethereum if you've installed from PPA should do the trick :smile:
  • tomlondontomlondon Member Posts: 31
    Are any videos about how to install the upgrade, going to be made for the nontech savy people like me?
  • Michael_AMichael_A LondonMember Posts: 61
    what about for OSX
    brew update && brew upgrade?
  • skithunoskithuno Member Posts: 74
    tomlondon said:

Are any videos about how to install the upgrade, going to be made for the nontech savy people like me?

I will work on updating my guide Thursday or sometime during the weekend so that the unsavy can savy the new chain.

@roz303 When I do that it says:

The following packages have been kept back:
    alethzero eth ethkey ethminer ethvm libethereum libethereum-gui liboxideqtcore0 linux-generic
    linux-headers-generic linux-image-generic linux-signed-generic linux-signed-image-generic lllc mix
    oxideqt-codecs rlp solc testeth
    0 to upgrade, 0 to newly install, 0 to remove and 19 not to upgrade.

edited July 2015
    Ok, I got around that by using sudo apt-get install _packages-kept-back_ (askubuntu.com/questions/601/the-following-packages-have-been-kept-back-why-and-how-do-i-solve-it/185402#185402), but my Geth is still on v0.9.39!
  • StephanTualStephanTual London, EnglandMember, Moderator Posts: 1,282 mod
    edited July 2015
    A couple more notes since I posted this, if you have used Ethereum before:

- You should generate new keys using a recent (RC) client, and not reuse testnet keys.
    - However, do back up your keys (maybe some of them are eligible for Olympic rewards) – they are located in ./ethereum/keystore
    - Delete your old chain please (it’s located in ./ethereum, delete the following 3 folders only: ./extra, ./state, ./blockchain)
    - You can safely leave your ./ethereum/nodes, ./ethereum/history and ./ethereum/nodekey in place
    - Having DAGs pregenerated in ./ethash will not hurt, but feel free to delete them if you need the space
  • LarsPensjoLarsPensjo SwedenMember Posts: 35

- You should generate new keys using a recent (RC) client, and not reuse testnet keys.

I suppose the old keys will work, but it is recommended practice to not use them?
    If you want to access the Olympic rewards, you have to leave them in the keystore. That means the default mining address will still be the original testnet first key?
    Or is it better to remove the keystore, generate a new key with the new client, and then import the old testnet keys?
  • tym4ttym4t Nagata-ku, Kobe-shi, Hyogo-ken, JapanMember Posts: 71 ✭✭✭

I suppose the old keys will work, but it is recommended practice to not use them?
    If you want to access the Olympic rewards, you have to leave them in the keystore. That means the default mining address will still be the original testnet first key?
    Or is it better to remove the keystore, generate a new key with the new client, and then import the old testnet keys?
    The import will more or less do the same steps. Each set of keys are contained within their own file.

The reason why you don't want to use testnet keys is to avoid replay attacks against them on the live blockchain.

How do you do this?
    @gcolbourn, simply create a new account when booting up your newly build client, job done :)
    Ok, you just mean "geth account new" then? :-) ( what does RC stand for?)
    @gcolbourn : release candidate. Anything recent (last few days or so)
  • HellRazorHellRazor BerlinMember Posts: 99 ✭✭
    @StephanTual Congrats to you and the whole Ethereum team and thanks for such an amazing work!
  • realroverrealrover Member Posts: 31
    What branch in Github should I use to build RC 1.0.0?
  • bubilasbubilas Member Posts: 13
    edited July 2015
    Hi. So, today for experiment bild the genesis_block.json with hash at 922222 block, generate it, make new account, and start the new client on win 7. but after i want to try generate new block in my fake chain and start "geth.exe --mine console". DAG generate for epoch 0 but mining was about 5-10 minutes, CPU load on 80-100%, but don't generate any blocks. WHY? eth.getBalance() return "0". Why client of rontier(1.0.0) don't mining?
  • MaranMaran Member Posts: 7
    The difficulty will be very high at launch, it's quite possible you didn't give it enough time yet to find a block. Keep trying.
  • EthereumUserEthereumUser Member Posts: 1
    $ python mk_genesis_block.py --extradata hash_for_#1028201_goes_here > genesis_block.json
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "mk_genesis_block.py", line 124, in
    EXTRADATA = (d[2:] if d[:2] == '0x' else d).decode('hex')
    File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/encodings/hex_codec.py", line 42, in hex_decode
    output = binascii.a2b_hex(input)
    TypeError: Odd-length string
    Hi, seems there's a problem on my machine. What should I do?
    edited July 2015
    Maran said:

The difficulty will be very high at launch, it's quite possible you didn't give it enough time yet to find a block. Keep trying.

thanks, on my 5 cards I generate 17 blocks yet. But when I mined the first block and others I see : "Mined block (#1 / 6968e9a1). Wait 5 blocks for confirmation." but now 17 blocks, and my eth.getBalance() return "0" all the same. where is a problem?

$ python mk_genesis_block.py --extradata hash_for_#1028201_goes_here > genesis_block.json
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "mk_genesis_block.py", line 124, in
    EXTRADATA = (d[2:] if d[:2] == '0x' else d).decode('hex')
    File "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/encodings/hex_codec.py", line 42, in hex_decode
    output = binascii.a2b_hex(input)
    TypeError: Odd-length string
    Hi, seems there's a problem on my machine. What should I do?

input hash, but not "hash_for_#1028201_goes_here"

example "$ python mk_genesis_block.py --extradata 22571cb4dfdb9639c042156631b56b4ca089b43cd407d867c1009de17d5b7de7 > genesis_block.json
    "
    Post edited by bubilas on
    I0730 13:48:43.565586 6344 worker.go:294] ?? Mined block (#25 / d3779508). W
    ait 5 blocks for confirmation
    I0730 13:48:43.567586 6344 worker.go:489] commit new work on block 26 with 0
    txs & 0 uncles. Took 1.0004ms
    I0730 13:48:43.567586 6344 worker.go:401] ?? ?? Mined 5 blocks back: block #
    what is mean?
    why eth.getBalance() return 0?

how I can to check my balance for 25 mined blocks?
  • IncepatorIncepator Member Posts: 10
    edited July 2015
    Don't mean to be rude or something like that but I strogly recomand for you or someone in your comunity to make a video with Geth/ether install for noobish users like me, from 0 to up and running added with mining guide of ethereum also. This could really help us, the simple users/pre-sale buyers/enthuziasts etc. Shouldn't take more than half an hour. Thank you!
  • daylightdaylight Member Posts: 5
    edited July 2015
    Post edited by daylight on