CUDA miner

Comments

• ennuiennui Member Posts: 8

ennui said:

The high CPU load also seem to stem from the cuda_sync blocking routines. I usually work around this by tying all my threads to a single CPU. This reduces power and cpu load and has no effect on hashing since the CPU cycles are all busy waiting.

@ennui, I'm all ears here... How does one go about tying my threads to a single CPU (single core?)

I used taskset, for instance:

ps -eL | grep cudaminer | grep -v grep | awk '{ print "taskset -cp 1 " $2 }' | bash
  • o0ragman0oo0ragman0o Member, Moderator Posts: 1,291 mod
    @antonio8, pretty sure it was just CUDA 7.

I can't check right now as my rig's 700W PSU just inexplicably died while only drawing 480W :'( . Worse, I replaced it with a brand new one, fresh out of the box and it sh!t itself too! So I'm out of the game for a few days. I've got a 1200W PSU coming in but that was going to be for my HD7990 rig...
  • antonio8antonio8 Member Posts: 44

@antonio8, pretty sure it was just CUDA 7.

I can't check right now as my rig's 700W PSU just inexplicably died while only drawing 480W :'( . Worse, I replaced it with a brand new one, fresh out of the box and it sh!t itself too! So I'm out of the game for a few days. I've got a 1200W PSU coming in but that was going to be for my HD7990 rig...

Sorry to hear that.

• go6ooo1212go6ooo1212 Member Posts: 17
    Does someone tried mining with 750ti on Windows 10 ?
    @Genoil : Hey , mate , did you try compile the miner withh cuda 6.5. It might get descent performance , more that 7 and 7.5. Unfortunately my compilation skills are week to try that...
  • afoguafogu Member Posts: 63 ✭✭
    @Genoil

thx, I built as you recommended:

cmake .. -DBUNDLE=miner -DETHASHCU=1 -DCOMPUTE=35

I had a bit of trouble at these (2) points:

/path/to/cpp-ethereum/libethcore/Ethash.h:177:24: error: comparison between signed and unsigned integer expressions [-Werror=sign-compare]
    for (int i = 0; i < gpuDeviceCount; i++) {

( solved by s/int/unsigned/ )

/usr/local/cuda-7.0/include/CL/cl_gl_ext.h:44:4: error: "/*" within comment [-Werror=comment]
    * /* cl_VEN_extname extension */

( solved by    * /\* cl_VEN_extname extension */   )

I do see : 'cudaminer0' rather than 'gpuminer0' reported on workloop, but avg is pretty much 17.1MH/s, so not much diff.
    Launched thusly:   ./ethminer -U --gpu-workgroup-size 128 --gpu-batch-size 20

I've altered the settings, doesn't seem to make much diff so far. --gpu-workgroup-size maybe adds 1MH/s, not sure.
    Q: where to read about the 'compute=35' and so on, what doc(s) cover that?

thx!
  • cryptletcryptlet Member Posts: 29

Does someone tried mining with 750ti on Windows 10 ?

I managed to compile with cuda 6.5, running on Win10 and drivers 355.60. Performance on my 750Ti still awful, at 2.2+MHs only.
    For whoever is compiling their own ethminer, follow this small modification and recompile. Your cpu usage will fall to zero.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=826901.msg12157142#msg12157142
    Anyone have a compiled source for Windows? I can't figure out how to convert it from the source for the .snl

Genoil showed me the steps but that is like a foreign language for me.
    edited August 2015
    antonio8 said:

Anyone have a compiled source for Windows? I can't figure out how to convert it from the source for the .snl

This version was compiled on Win10 with CUDA 6.5. However it doesn't run at full speed for me. See if it works for you. This has a mod so cpu utilization is zero.
    cryptlet said:

antonio8 said:

This version was compiled on Win10 with CUDA 6.5. However it doesn't run at full speed for me. See if it works for you. This has a mod so cpu utilization is zero.
    It won't unzip.

Says no files to extract

edited August 2015
    antonio8 said:

It won't unzip.

Says no files to extract

I have no problem to unzip. I uploaded another time. Try again.
    cryptlet said:

antonio8 said:

It won't unzip.

Says no files to extract

I have no problem to unzip. I uploaded another time. Try again.
    That one worked. It was a little bigger file than the previous one.

Cpu usage at 100% though and hash at about 2 Mh/s

100% cpu usage??? Hmmm no idea on this. Mine's running 0%.
    @cryptlet Does it only works on 750ti, mate ?

@cryptlet Does it only works on 750ti, mate ?

I compiled it only for my 750Ti (compute 5.0)
    cryptlet said:

100% cpu usage??? Hmmm no idea on this. Mine's running 0%.

Any extra flag for cpu usage?

@antonio8 no extra flag. mod was in the code
    edited August 2015
    @Genoil
    Something weird I just noticed.

using the --gpu-devices, No matter what number I type in it uses the same gpu. I have 4 cards in my system so I wanted to test what that 750ti does mixed with my 960's. I even used --gpu-devices 12 and it usess the same 960 card. So no matter if I do 0 or 1 or 2 or 3 it chooses My gpu 2 which is a 960.

My total hash is is about 36 Mh/s but I wanted to try and choose each card to see what the difference is with cards in the pci-e slot versus being in risers.

EDIT: Was able to use --gpu-devices 0 2 3 and stop my 750ti and hash is at 33.8 Mh/s so my 750ti is doing about 2 Mh/s on that system.

Windows 7 64bit driver 353.30
    cryptlet said:

For whoever is compiling their own ethminer, follow this small modification and recompile. Your cpu usage will fall to zero.

thanks for pointing that out @cryptlet , that works for me. I had a [email protected]% when ethminer was running, now its idle.
    @Genoil
    seems like your ethminer has settled out to run about 17.6MH/s and I did see 18MH/s at least once, looks like
    it is improved.
  • o0ragman0oo0ragman0o Member, Moderator Posts: 1,291 mod
    ennui said:

I have a bunch of 750Tis running on Ubuntu; noticed speeds around 8.8Mhs to 9.8Mhs (PNY stock OC). Was able to use nvidia-settings to OC it to 1.28GHz/6.6Ghz for about 10.6Mhs. I used CUDA7.0.

The high CPU load also seem to stem from the cuda_sync blocking routines. I usually work around this by tying all my threads to a single CPU. This reduces power and cpu load and has no effect on hashing since the CPU cycles are all busy waiting.

Also, one interesting power saving trick I noticed was that if you set the power limit of the 750Ti to 30W from 38.5W, the hash rate does not drop significantly (~5%?), but the power is massively reduced. For my rig of 6 750Tis, I observed a Kill-A-Watt drop 520W to 430W, and it's still currently running at a hash rate of about 51MH/s (all stock cards) and 56MH/s (all OC cards).

@ennui, I got my system stable again last night and was playing with the power settings as you suggested. I recorded a 0.2% drop in hashrate (43.0-> 42.9) for a 6.1% drop in power consumption. Then my PSU inexplicably died as did the replacement as soon as I started hashing (!!!???). Admittedly they were cheap ebay buys but WTF. 2x 12V rails at 25A and 28A. At 300W, even the lesser rail has enough power for 5 GPU's. It advertises current and over volt protection so I'm pretty pissed at it. The second PSU was only 550W and it went in the same way.

Can I ask you what PSU's and connectors you are using on your 750 rigs?

• dimfelddimfeld Member Posts: 22
    @Genoil Just tried out the binary you posted back on page 5, on Windows 10 with a 660GTX 2GB. Using -U I'm seeing hashrates of about 9.2MH/s compared to 7.4MH/s with stock ethminer, and verified with ethpool.org that the hashing is correct. Nice work!
  • dominusdominus Member Posts: 36
    Nice work Genoil ;)

I am another unlucky 750ti user. I have tried all of the versions and cannot get it work over 2.xMH. It is in win10 pc together with 970. The 970 makes 18+MH, both togehter 20.5MH and I noticed also a weird thing with --gpu-devices parameter. It just cannot make to work only 750ti. If i use --gpu-devices 0 or --gpu-devices 1 it makes no difference and runs only 970.
  • PhantomPhantom Member Posts: 46
    @dominus You have to try Ubuntu. My rig with 6 x GTX 750 ti runs about 44 Mh/s now. I am trying to get over 50 Mh/s but still mess.
  • dominusdominus Member Posts: 36
    Phantom said:

@dominus You have to try Ubuntu. My rig with 6 x GTX 750 ti runs about 44 Mh/s now. I am trying to get over 50 Mh/s but still mess.

I have it in my work pc in the office and cannot mess with it. Maybe I'll take it home to my new j1900 build but not very soon. Thanks for hint.

BTW has anyone built a "sp modded" genoil miner for win?

ennui said:

I have a bunch of 750Tis running on Ubuntu; noticed speeds around 8.8Mhs to 9.8Mhs (PNY stock OC). Was able to use nvidia-settings to OC it to 1.28GHz/6.6Ghz for about 10.6Mhs. I used CUDA7.0.

Also, one interesting power saving trick I noticed was that if you set the power limit of the 750Ti to 30W from 38.5W, the hash rate does not drop significantly (~5%?), but the power is massively reduced. For my rig of 6 750Tis, I observed a Kill-A-Watt drop 520W to 430W, and it's still currently running at a hash rate of about 51MH/s (all stock cards) and 56MH/s (all OC cards).

@ennui, I got my system stable again last night and was playing with the power settings as you suggested. I recorded a 0.2% drop in hashrate (43.0-> 42.9) for a 6.1% drop in power consumption. Then my PSU inexplicably died as did the replacement as soon as I started hashing (!!!???). Admittedly they were cheap ebay buys but WTF. 2x 12V rails at 25A and 28A. At 300W, even the lesser rail has enough power for 5 GPU's. It advertises current and over volt protection so I'm pretty pissed at it. The second PSU was only 550W and it went in the same way.

Can I ask you what PSU's and connectors you are using on your 750 rigs?

Not quite sure, I'm using a mix of cheap PSUs from China as well all around 800W (though they did advertise theirs at 80 plus), your situation could really be just real bad luck.
    cryptlet said:

Works! Always thought the CPU utilization was a polling 'feature' not a bug lol
  • buechlingbuechling Member Posts: 13
    edited August 2015
    @mrp @VeritasSapere @antonio8 @SuchFakeAccount
    My Rig is running with 3x GTX 750 Ti ( no risers, just Mainboard with 3 x16-Slots )
    Idle: 54 W
    CPU under load: 110 W
    1 GPU ( and 1 core 100% ): 9,3 Mhash @ 174 W
    2 GPU ( and 2 cores 100% ): 18,6 Mhash @ 255 W
    3 GPU ( and 3 cores 100% ): 27,9 Mhash @ 355 W

so everything seems fine.. as i use ubuntu 14.03 , i can not tell anything about frequencies etc.. i just installed nvidia drivers..

@Genoil, Thanks. I didn't realise the full nature of the --gpu-devices switch.

@antonio8. Can you do a study up on your PSU. I think your cards might be getting current limited.
    My rig currently has:

• 3x Galaxy 750Ti slim
    • 1x emTek 750Ti
    • 1x Gigabyte 750 OC Low profile.
    • pulling 43MH/s
    • 700W Casecom PSU with 2 12v rails (CC-700W-12CM)
    • 485W at the wall
    Issues I had were mainly with the Gigabyte 750 dropping out. It doesn't seem to like the powered risers but works fine pulling power from the PCIe slot itself. Not a problem with the other cards on powered risers. Remember there's only a total of about 175W avaliable to the PCIe slots so 3 Ti's at TDP of 60W will get current limited.

I'll also note that the full size card is running 'much' cooler and faster than the low profiles.

As the 750/Ti's generally don't come with a 6/8 PCIe power connector, I'm left just powering them on Molex connectors. The question mark here is that I don't know which 12V rail the Molex connectors are on so there was a bit of trial, error and hope they weren't all on the same one which would have limited the number of cards without hacking together a PCIe -> Molex adapter.

It's been running nice now. Going from 4 to 5 cards jumped CPU usage from 200% to 400% which was unexpected.

I'm still waiting on one more Gigabyte 750Ti Low profile. I'll then rebuild the rig onto a 6 PCIe slot mobo I received yesterday. The current 5 slot mobo will be retasked with 2 (3 if I can land it) HD 7990's
    i don't think there is a 175W limit? ( see above ). I think the limit is 75 W per PEG-Port ( special kind of PCI-X-Port, german: http://www.heise.de/ct/hotline/Was-ist-PEG-325734.html ), so we have 3*75W = 225W . i thought about connecting 6 cards per mainboard.. but these seld-built risers seem to be very risky.. so i will just use 3 cards per mainbaord, without risers..
    ennui said:

ennui said:

@ennui, I'm all ears here... How does one go about tying my threads to a single CPU (single core?)

I used taskset, for instance:

ps -eL | grep cudaminer | grep -v grep | awk '{ print "taskset -cp 1 " $2 }' | bash
    great! it works. thank you!
    ennui said:

interesting! can you tell us: how can you set a power limit?

Genoli -- many thanks for this thread. Took me a couple of days of tweaking to get this up and running, but I have one rig with 6 x 750 ti, linux mint 17, 8gb ddr3, 3.1gz haswell cpu running at 54M+ and best of all, it's coming in at 390 watts at the wall... love that 750 ti!

ℹ 23:58:25|ethminer Mining on PoWhash #9e3b5328… : 54143339 H/s = 471859200 hashes / 8.715 s

also interesting! can you tell us how you achieved the low power usage? :)

• GenoilGenoil 0xeb9310b185455f863f526dab3d245809f6854b4dMember Posts: 769 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2015
    The gpu-devices flag was quickly thrown together without actually having multiple cards, so I'll have to look at it again when I got a machine with 2 cards.

Attached is a Win64 binary with sp_ mods.

Hashrate-wise, on my GTX780 it unfortunately doesn't do any better than what was already there. Actually a tiny bit worse (caused by the cudaDeviceScheduleBlockingSync). But apparently that dramatically lowers CPU usage, which is a good thing! No solution for the GTX750Ti problem yet..
    Post edited by Genoil on