Mining Hardware: GPU targeted - What machine do I need?

DonaldMcIntyreDonaldMcIntyre DenverMember Posts: 17
If I have a MacBook Pro with NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB, is that OK to have some chance of mining?

If not, do I need to buy a USB plugin? What is recommended?

Thx!

Comments

• StephanTualStephanTual London, EnglandMember, Moderator Posts: 1,282 mod
    edited February 2015
    We haven't issued recommendation yet as the algorithm is still under active development. We however *aim* to have CPU and GPU (both nvidia and AMD) as reference implementations.
  • cphicphi Member Posts: 46
    I wonder if Ethereum will bring back the golden age of home-based GPU mining? (Even if it is only for 6 months to a year). I am also curious if it will be beneficial to purchase new hardware rather than to just buy Ethereum on an exchange? I guess we won't know until a few days after launch.
  • DonaldMcIntyreDonaldMcIntyre DenverMember Posts: 17
    Thx guys!

I hope there is a recommendation soon, before launch, so I can buy the gear to hook it up to my laptop to mine since the start.
  • Michael_AMichael_A LondonMember Posts: 61
    Hey Stephan do you think testing the debug/force mining option through AlethZero interface will give us already an approximative idea of our future mining processing power or it's still just experimantal ?
  • tomlondontomlondon Member Posts: 31
    I'm thinking of buying some hardwear for mining but not sure what to buy yet.

Any recomendations would be apreachiated.

I'm going to try and install the go client on my old laptop to see how it works over the weekend and see how easy it is for someone whos only a little tech savi.