New rig setup - Rig wont turn on

meyou5ickmeyou5ick Member Posts: 38
Hiya!

Hope you are all doing well.

So I just assembled a rig but for some reason, it wont turn on, do you have any suggestions to why this might be th case?

I am using a H81 pro btc 2.0 motherboard

8 gb 1600 mhz compatible RAM

Intel pentium i3 1150 processor

1200 EVGA Platinum power supply.

At the moment I disconnected 5 GPUs and only have 1 GPU connected via VGA to power supply and the riser cable placed on one motherboard slot

I have a SSD connected to motherboard slot and one cable connecting it to power

I also have a power button placed where it should be

This is pretty much it but for some reason when I connect the supply to power socket and turn on then theres no response but then I try to click the power button and still theres no response.

Shall I connect all GPUS and also extra power (PERIF) to motherboard and PSU and then try?

I am not sure what I am doing wrong, please let me know if you can assist.

Thanks again

Comments

• peshetomanpeshetoman Member Posts: 78
    Test the following and report results : 1. Test PSU with the paperclip method or use the provided with EVGA power tester. if the PSU works 2. Attach the PSU HDD RAM CPU to the motherboard only and test if the PC will start. As soon as all of those are successful we can move to testing each card.
  • eth_shiftyeth_shifty Member Posts: 52
    Make sure you are connecting the 8 pin molex to the cpu power socket as well.
  • meyou5ickmeyou5ick Member Posts: 38
    It worked out, thank you. Although I am getting no more display. Any ideas why I am not getting a display? I have attached one gpu and one perif cable
  • peshetomanpeshetoman Member Posts: 78
    If you havent selected the integrated graphics card from the bios the main video signal will come from the GPU attached to the x16 PCIe Slot. Also dont forget to power up the 2 additional molex connectors on the MB. one is above the first PCIe slot and one is under the bottom pcie slot, once you see the message on boot saying power up the molex connectors with a picture (when you have 3+ GPUs) just skip it :)
    Is it going to advanced setting and changing the setting? Could you please tell me the route to fixing that setting? Also, I have one molex (perif?) above the first PCI slot but nothing after the last end.
  • SaphSaph Member Posts: 72
    For setting up a rig you want things working without any GPUs plugged in first and without a boot drive connected, so disconnect both.

We want to make sure your motherboard is booting properly first, if it's working it narrows things down massively.

Plug your monitor into one of the motherboards display adaptors, by default you'll boot into BIOS.

Once we've confirmed you're booting into the BIOS successfully report back in and we can take it from there.

The key to these is one step at a time so we can tick that off the list, otherwise we aren't necessarily sure what bit's broken.
    Thanks for your message, I have successfully booted and got into BIOS and also installed windows. Now how do I get these GPUs working? I plug one in and my display goes away. I tried HDMI and old VGA slot display monitor cable, both give same result, screen doesnt turn on when I plug a GPU.

Thanks
  • KhayzershozeKhayzershoze Member Posts: 13
    you should plug all the GPUs off and then open the windows and turn the windows defender and windows update assistant off for ever, then install the C++ runtime for your claymore and then plug in the first GPU, then give me the result
    http://how-to-mine.com/softwares/runtimes/Microsoft_C++_Runtime.zip
  • Wasp0Wasp0 Member Posts: 49
    Just don't bother mining with Windows, you rig will be up and down like a whores draws. Use one of the Excellent Linux based mining programs, like SMOS (SimpleMiner) or Hive> No you don't have to learn Linux, at most you fill out a few self explanatory boxes with your details, email address, worker name and of course yor wallet address, flash a USB drive plug it in and boot to it..... No Annoying windows updates, no need to even buy a Hard Drive, slight power saving and Easy Peasy Mining!
  • Ericjh801Ericjh801 Utah, USAMember Posts: 371 ✭✭✭
    If setup correctly, windows machines run fine. Mine go for weeks at a time without issues (usually longer but I change something around).
    Wasp0 said:

Just don't bother mining with Windows, you rig will be up and down like a whores draws. Use one of the Excellent Linux based mining programs, like SMOS (SimpleMiner) or Hive> No you don't have to learn Linux, at most you fill out a few self explanatory boxes with your details, email address, worker name and of course yor wallet address, flash a USB drive plug it in and boot to it..... No Annoying windows updates, no need to even buy a Hard Drive, slight power saving and Easy Peasy Mining!