<

>
hide You are viewing an archived web page, collected at the request of Ethereum Foundation using Archive-It. This page was captured on 02:37:25 May 01, 2021 , and is part of the Community collection. The information on this web page may be out of date. See All versions of this archived page. Loading media information

Do you need to download whole blockchain to use a local wallet?

RedsquirrelRedsquirrel Member Posts: 32
I was playing around with geth as I setup a wallet for mining, and wanted to check the balance (obviously zero haha) and just play around with it a bit, so googled how and then it said to start geth console so I did, but then it starts to download the blockchain. On this particular machine I don't want to download it as I only put a 60GB SSD. Do I actually need the block chain local to use a wallet? Also, do I need to forward ports? I was hoping that was just an optional thing for if you are solo mining. I don't want to forward ports to this machine as it's on my main vlan. Though I guess I can move it to my "internet" vlan.

Roughly how big is the block chain at the moment, and do I need high disk I/O to handle it? Also if I build more than one mining rig do I need the blockchain on each machine or can I just have one central machine that has it? I will be mining to a pool for the time being.

Comments

• UnacceptableUnacceptable Member Posts: 30
    I believe so....My eth Mist wallet is almost 200 gig...

Trying to find out if it can be trimmed in any way....no luck yet on that info.

I will tell you this,on a spinner HD it takes FOREVER to load,but on a SSD it is ALOT faster.So if you do plan on keeping a wallet on your PC,as I do,get at least a 480gig SSD.Newegg has some for $140 or so.

You can move your wallet to run on another drive by following this guys video ;)

Works on Win7 too ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=16&v=1fHeUUbWthI
  • RedsquirrelRedsquirrel Member Posts: 32
    I have several TB of raid 10 space on my primary NAS so it's not an issue, but do I need to have it on each miner too or can each miner mine to the same wallet address even if that wallet is not on that PC? I was not planing on putting much disk space on my miners so I'm hoping I won't have to. I may need to add more drives in my NAS though, maybe make a dedicated VM to run the wallet so I can put it on another vlan if it requires a port forward. The wallet does not need to be on same machine as miner since it all talks through blockchain protocol anyway right?