Is it worth investing £1000 in building my own rig?

MetzMetz Member Posts: 113
I used to mine ETH back when it was £7/ETH and gave up after my energy bills got too high.
I now kick myself for stopping as obviously the value of ETH has gone up.

If I was to cash out some ETH and setup a mining rig again, is it worth the £1000 cost?
Initial thoughts are:
  • ASUS B250 Mining - for future expansion
  • Intell G4400
  • 2 x 4GB RAM
  • 128GB SSD / Windows 10
  • 2 x 750w PSU
  • 2 x 8GB RX580s
  • 2 x 8GB RX480s (from current PC)
This should give me around 120MHs

Using the tools online, this should on paper make a profit (at max power usage):
ETH:

Energy:

Or...
Is it just better to invest my own money onto an exchange and hold onto ETH hoping for a boom?

Comments

• MiniotaurMiniotaur Member Posts: 11
    I have 3 PC's with 2x Vega 64 in each of them and they consume 1200W together so your power consumption seriously can't be 1400W.

And to your question: nobody knows the answer, but people are still mining... So...
  • Nicolas1804Nicolas1804 Member Posts: 50
    It's not because you have 1400w psu that you will need 1400w, with 4 rx 480 8go i'm around 500w for all the rig
  • MetzMetz Member Posts: 113
    I couldn’t resist the temptation of mining so I’ve been building up my rig over the last day or so.

Waiting on some risers but one RX580 is hashing away at 30.7MH/s(ETH only) consuming around 107w
    My RX480 are running a 30-31MH/s stable as well with a little less power usage.

Ended up getting 4 x RX580’s along with my 2 x RX480’s.

If I can get a stable 180MH/s @ 750w’s I’m hoping spreading the load over 2 PSUs will be ok.

Will keep you posted on how it goes.
  • sutheksuthek Member Posts: 203 ✭✭
    after making a few rigs and having over 30 cards,

I heavilly recommend the MSI Gaming X 4GB cards.
    They are dirt cheap and have amazing heat sync/fans. Run amazingly quiet and cold... and I can reliably get 30.6 mh/s out of them. Nearly always elpida ram.
  • MetzMetz Member Posts: 113
    @suthek I get your point about the 4GB cards... but long term, would the DAG not casue an issue for 4GB cards?
    Its around 2.2GB at the moment and could be close to 3GB this time next year.
    8GB cards would have a bit more longterm use if they last 2 years :smile:
  • sutheksuthek Member Posts: 203 ✭✭
    Metz said:

@suthek I get your point about the 4GB cards... but long term, would the DAG not casue an issue for 4GB cards?
    Its around 2.2GB at the moment and could be close to 3GB this time next year.
    8GB cards would have a bit more longterm use if they last 2 years :smile:

you expect the cards to last 2 years? I expect most cards will fail within that time.
    Even then, there will always be other coins to switch to.

The first 3 cards I bought were 8gb cards... and then I realized I was being dumb.