Asus RX580 (TOP and OC) not recognized in Device Manager or by AtiFlash

cira529cira529 Member Posts: 5
Hi,

I have a problem with Asus RX580 (TOP and OC) 8GB GPUs not showing up in Device Manager (Windows 10) and/or AtiFlash (-ai command), when attached to motherboard (AsRock H81 Pro BTC R2.0) via powered risers (ver006c, ver007s, ver008s). When I attach each card (TOP or OC) directly into PCI-E x16 slot, it shows up and works well. All risers are tested with PowerColor RX480 8GB on the same motherboard on each of x1 slots and everything works very well.

Have anyone had similar problems with these GPUs?

Thank you.

Comments

• JukeboxJukebox Member Posts: 513 ✭✭✭
    cira529 said:

Hi,

I have a problem with Asus RX580 (TOP and OC) 8GB GPUs not showing up in Device Manager (Windows 10) and/or AtiFlash (-ai command), when attached to motherboard (AsRock H81 Pro BTC R2.0) via powered risers (ver006c, ver007s, ver008s). When I attach each card (TOP or OC) directly into PCI-E x16 slot, it shows up and works well. All risers are tested with PowerColor RX480 8GB on the same motherboard on each of x1 slots and everything works very well.

Have anyone had similar problems with these GPUs?

Thank you.

Switch PCI-E slot speed to PCI-E Gen 1.
  • cira529cira529 Member Posts: 5
    Hi Jukebox,

Yes, I already tried that. Nothing is changed.

When I turn off my rig, I see white led diode, turned on, near 8-pin power connector on my Asus Strix RX580 T8G (while directly on mobo 16x slot), but led is turned off, while connected via riser cable.

I think that is the source of the problem, GPU needs power before rig is powered on, to be detected by mobo's BIOS. Can someone confirm this?

I saw the other user on this forum have/had the same problem, with same card on different mobo.

Do someone saw this kind of problem, elsewhere? I can't send mobo back to AsRock because it detects all other cards except RX580 series or maybe only Asus Strix line of RX580 series. :)
  • JukeboxJukebox Member Posts: 513 ✭✭✭
    cira529 said:

Hi Jukebox,

I think that is the source of the problem, GPU needs power before rig is powered on

Not sure. Try to plug off PCI-E external power - white LED diode becomes red.

Maybe you need to update ROM on your asus cards and your mobo to let them work correctly with risers
  • oberober Member Posts: 16
    Recently I had same problem with 2 different AMD mining edition cards. Tested with 3 different MBs and risers, Mint 17.3 and Winn10, GEN1 or auto. Result is always the same - if connected to 1x slot card is never detected. If connected to 16x slot, PEG 16x or PCIE 16x, all is fine and working as expected.
    I'm curious to hear ideas or solution too.
    Those are my first AMD based mining editions so for now I won't purchase more of them.

:)
    Jukebox said:

Maybe you need to update ROM on your asus cards and your mobo to let them work correctly with risers

I already tried to flash a new rom on both, GPUs and MB, but nothing changed. Also, when external power detached, nothing has been changed.
    ober said:

I'm curious to hear ideas or solution too.
    Those are my first AMD based mining editions so for now I won't purchase more of them.

:)

Yes. I believe you, me too.

Hi ober,

Did you, maybe, try a PCI-e x16 "doubler" (extender):

because both GPUs works well directly on PCI-e x16 slot? I can't find it to order it anywhere for reasoned price.

Thank you.