overclocking software with rx cards, cant change memory clock speed and low hash rates msi afterburn

SconesScones Member Posts: 7
when I'm using any over clocking software i cannot for the life of me increase the memory clock it will just keep going back down to 1750 (card are rx570 and rx480) but i can change the clock speed with msi afterburner but when i save and run ethermine i get stupidly low hash rates like less than 4Mhs per card im really stuck can anyone help me ?

Comments

• erstwealerstweal MidwestMember Posts: 122 ✭✭
    I don't mod my cards, but don't people underclock and undervolt rather than overclock?
  • SconesScones Member Posts: 7
    well people usually underclcok core speed and overclcok mem speed
  • cjclm7cjclm7 Member Posts: 77
    do not use MSI Afterburner (or other software) for overclocking AMD GPUs, use your miner directly

for example, if you using Claymore then use the variables cclock, mclock, etc, and assign to these variables the values you want to oc. Read Claymore README file to know more variables you can change (for undervolting). Then use your line in start file or define them in your Config.txt file.

This method will override any other software you using so is very efficient.

For AMD GPUs is that simple! and is the same method if you use Linux or if you use Windows. it is independent of the system you running Claymore.

For NVIDIA GPUs is not that simple... is a nightmare (I am trying OC GTX 1060 for days using nvidia-smi and coolbits)
    Omg thank you so much that's great I will try that tomorrow I'm currently stuck at 23 MHs I had no idea
  • ecs87ecs87 Dekalb, ILMember Posts: 339 ✭✭✭
    cjclm7 said:

do not use MSI Afterburner (or other software) for overclocking AMD GPUs, use your miner directly

for example, if you using Claymore then use the variables cclock, mclock, etc, and assign to these variables the values you want to oc. Read Claymore README file to know more variables you can change (for undervolting). Then use your line in start file or define them in your Config.txt file.

For AMD GPUs is that simple! and is the same method if you use Linux or if you use Windows. it is independent of the system you running Claymore.

For NVIDIA GPUs is not that simple... is a nightmare (I am trying OC GTX 1060 for days using nvidia-smi and coolbits)

Huh? As far as I know, the mining softwares have had issues with OCing cards whereas the dedicated OC tools have not had nearly as many issues (this may have changed with the recent versions of Claymore's tool).

I've had zero issues using either Wattman or my own AMD GPU OC tool on any of my 23 Polaris cards (unless I was using the fudged up version of the driver that AMD put out).

@Scones check your BIOS settings. You may be limiting your memory clock in there. People normally set them at 2200 or 2300 max to not have any issues while tuning.
  • cjclm7cjclm7 Member Posts: 77
    ecs87 said:

cjclm7 said:

Huh? As far as I know, the mining softwares have had issues with OCing cards whereas the dedicated OC tools have not had nearly as many issues (this may have changed with the recent versions of Claymore's tool).

I've had zero issues using either Wattman or my own AMD GPU OC tool on any of my 23 Polaris cards (unless I was using the fudged up version of the driver that AMD put out).

@Scones check your BIOS settings. You may be limiting your memory clock in there. People normally set them at 2200 or 2300 max to not have any issues while tuning.
    Well... for my MSI RX 580 8GB I do not use other software than the Claymore. I define the cclock=1125 and the mclock=2150 (either on start.bat either on Config.txt) and I get the OC I want (29MHs). I do not need any OC software other than the miner settings.

For me it works just fine.
    Thanks for the help guys you ave help loads but i still cant increase my mem clock. i have look in the bios and cant find anything about gpu memory but i have got 3 extra Mhs from each card without memory clocking anyone have any idea how to be able to change memory clock
  • ecs87ecs87 Dekalb, ILMember Posts: 339 ✭✭✭
    @cjclm7 have you taken a look at your voltage and watt usage? The clocks seem to set fine on Claymore, but the voltage not so much... (then again nearly any tool has an issue setting voltages past 17.7.1 drivers).

@Scones Look in the powerplay section of PBE. You should see a Max Memory Freq. Change that to 2200 or 2300. THEN after rebooting, tune the card.
  • nitroplusexpertnitroplusexpert Member Posts: 16
    AMD 17.12 driver has known bugs not allowing undervolting. From what I have read 17.13 has fixed this and wattman, afterburner, trixx as well as claymore commands, should work again
  • erstwealerstweal MidwestMember Posts: 122 ✭✭
    Is there a safe, conservative set of clock & memory speeds and volts people can use for a mix of 470, 480, 570 & 580 cards? It seems like every card has it's own optimal value, but I would like to use a modest tweak on everything instead of card by card.
  • Wasp0Wasp0 Member Posts: 49
    Jumping in on this thread, and really Noob Idiot here, but how do i insert the cclock and mclock setting in the Start,bat file. Treat me like you are explaining it to your grandma ;-)
    Thanks Guys
  • DavidC1DavidC1 Member Posts: 40
    erstweal: If you want to talk conservative, do 1850MHz on memory. ~1100MHz on core with 930mV is pretty much guaranteed for all the cards. I had an RX 480 that was the primary display adapter that had hard time going much below 930mV.