Best pcie riser for you?

jsanzspjsanzsp Member Posts: 170 ✭✭
edited October 12 in Mining
I have tried many models, some with a very low manufacturing quality that produced continuous falls in the rig, which is the best pci riser for you?

For me, this model has given me good results,

I have also used this one, it has more capacitors, but I prefer the molex connection than the these strange adapter pci6 pin to sata

Comments

• jsanzspjsanzsp Member Posts: 170 ✭✭
    jsanzsp said:

I have tried many models, some with a very low manufacturing quality that produced continuous falls in the rig, which is the best pci riser for you?

For me, this model has given me good results,

I have also used this one, it has more capacitors, but I prefer the molex connection than the these strange adapter pci6 pin to sata

the worst for me, can carry cable black usb or light blue, welds are of a poor quality, the base takes off with the heat,

• KlintistwoodKlintistwood Member Posts: 130
    I bought this one: PCI riser Aliexpress
    25€ for 6 and they're all working fine. I bought 12 so far. They look very similar to the ones you mentionned here.
  • kj08kj08 Member Posts: 7
    Folks, I have those molex risers that I ordered from Aliexpress. Amazing quality, I used 42 out of the lot of 200, every single worked and has been running for last 3 months. But I am not starting the farm that I was planning on initially so still left with 150+ of these. I live in Indiana, US. Can ship from here so you can have these in your hand within 2-3 days.

Let me know if anyone interested. Cheap, $5.25 per riser only + shipping. Whole lot could be shipped under 20
  • mjmeansmjmeans Member Posts: 56
    I prefer the ones with the 4-pin AMP connector, or for low power needs GPUs, alternatively, a SATA on the riser card. I don't like the 6-pin Molex connectors for power and heat reasons. The 6-pin connectors only have 12V and have to use 3.3V voltage regulator circuit which dissipate 12V to 3.3V necessary for GPU to boot. This wastes power and generates more heat than cards that generate the 3.3V from a 5V source (the red wire on the 4-pin AMP or SATA connectors). So I only use PCIe cards where the red power wire actually goes to the riser. Generating 3.3V from the 5V wire (red wire) also reduces the total power demand on the 12V rail of the power supply which will improve power stability if your running close to 100% on the 12V rail. While it is possible to efficiently generate 3.3V form the 12V source on the 6-pin Molex connector, that would require a much higher cost DC/DC converter circuit (costing dollars) instead of a voltage regulator circuit (costing pennies).

FYI, the design of the 4-pin connectors that everyone is calling Molex is really AMP MATE-N-LOK. It was developed in 1976 and is the standard for internal computer peripherals since the, Molex in 1983 released their fully compatible version. So even though the connector may be manufactured by Molex or any number of other connector manufacturers, the design is really an AMP MATE-N-LOK (or just AMP for short). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molex_connector