AMD (RX 570) Linux mining

capricacaprica Member Posts: 6
I'm wondering how viable mining on Linux with AMD cards is now that AMD has a mining optimized driver for Windows. I set up Ubuntu 16.04.3 with AMDGPU (open source) and ROCm (Radeon Open Compute) kernel and this gives me some 17-18 MHz with default bios. The card I have is the ASUS Expedition Radeon RX 570 4GB.

I used a pre-compiled version of ethminer for the testing. I couldn't compile it myself with the OpenCL libraries that i have, it gives some error.

Anyway, does anyone have a setup of RX 5xx series cards running on Linux and what kind of performance do you get? Or is this more or less a lost cause and Windows is the way to go?

Comments

• xpointxpoint Member Posts: 13
    Different from windows and linux about 0.30-0.50 mh/s, i left windows and start use linux, more easer control farm
  • greybeardgreybeard Member Posts: 18
    @caprica ,
    I mined a bit in Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS with (4) amd rx580 8GB cards, unaltered VBIOS, and newest amdgpu drivers and such. Best I could do using claymore v10 was 20-23mh/s each card.

Using Windows Blockchain drivers made biggest difference for me, got me from 25 to 30mh/s each card (with VBIOS tweaks mixed in as well.)

I would not say linux mining is a lost cause, but it's hard to argue with 15% better performance per card just by using a different driver+OS combination.
  • rmhrmh Member Posts: 223 ✭✭
    greybeard said:

@caprica ,
    I mined a bit in Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS with (4) amd rx580 8GB cards, unaltered VBIOS, and newest amdgpu drivers and such. Best I could do using claymore v10 was 20-23mh/s each card.

Using Windows Blockchain drivers made biggest difference for me, got me from 25 to 30mh/s each card (with VBIOS tweaks mixed in as well.)

I would not say linux mining is a lost cause, but it's hard to argue with 15% better performance per card just by using a different driver+OS combination.

The linux driver ignores voltage settings in your bios, but will not ignore voltage offset. I get only 0.5MH/s difference between linux and windows. By the way, setting the voltage offset is much more efficient for undervolting.
  • capricacaprica Member Posts: 6
    I moved to amdgpu-pro driver yesterday and hashrate moved up to around 20 for the RX 570 which is at the lower end of what @graybeard got on his RX 580s.

Also tried core and memory overclock as well as fan settings but with no to little change. Will also look into voltage offset, thanks @rmh
    rmh said:

greybeard said:

@caprica ,

The linux driver ignores voltage settings in your bios, but will not ignore voltage offset. I get only 0.5MH/s difference between linux and windows. By the way, setting the voltage offset is much more efficient for undervolting.
    @rmh , sorry if stupid question but, re: voltage offset, do you mean 'flash vbios with a negative value (a negative percent or a negative float like -10.5)' ? thanks.
  • rmhrmh Member Posts: 223 ✭✭
    It's a negative integer represented in hexadecimal format. For example -100mV is -16 (because x6.25) which is F0 in hex. The problem starts when the card's bios doesn't have this property.
    For start, read this to get some clue: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1927792.0, then read more topics targeting those things you did not understand.
    @rmh , thank you for the super-helpful info. Wow. I must think about this for a while.