<

>
hide You are viewing an archived web page, collected at the request of Ethereum Foundation using Archive-It. This page was captured on 21:55:51 May 01, 2021 , and is part of the Community collection. The information on this web page may be out of date. See All versions of this archived page. Loading media information

How to pass bytes to smart contract function from web3.js

bitsanitybitsanity Member Posts: 8
I have this function in a smart contract:

contract MyToken {
  function approveAndCall( address spender, uint256 value, bytes context ) returns (bool success) { ... }
}
I'm trying to call it using web3.js. My test code tries to pass an array as the third parameter:

var context = [];
token.methods.approveAndCall( sca, 10000, context ).send( {from:accounts[0]} ).then( () => { ... } )
It throws an exception - seems to be where it marshals the array parameter:

Unhandled rejection TypeError: value.replace is not a function
    at SolidityTypeDynamicBytes.formatInputDynamicBytes [as _inputFormatter] (/home/me/node_modules/web3/packages/web3-eth-abi/src/types/formatters.js:83:24)
    at SolidityTypeDynamicBytes.SolidityType.encode (/home/me/node_modules/web3/packages/web3-eth-abi/src/types/type.js:188:17)
    at /home/me/node_modules/web3/packages/web3-eth-abi/src/index.js:255:29
    at Array.map (native)
    at ABICoder.encodeParameters (/home/me/node_modules/web3/packages/web3-eth-abi/src/index.js:254:34)
    at /home/me/node_modules/web3/packages/web3-eth-contract/src/index.js:451:24
    at Array.map (native)
    at Object._encodeMethodABI (/home/me/node_modules/web3/packages/web3-eth-contract/src/index.js:450:12)
I have tried a few other things: an array with one byte set to 0x00, an array of characters, web3.utils.hexToBytes(val), etc.

Anyone know the right way to pass bytes?

Answers

• bitsanitybitsanity Member Posts: 8
    Additional note: found the unit test in github and using a string literal like '0x42' seems to work.

token.methods.approveAndCall( sca, 10000, '0x42' ).send( {from:accounts[0]} ).then( () => { ... } )