Rx Vega mining so far

billbbillb Posts: 11Member
Picked up the new Vega 64 finally got it hooked up for mining

Out the box 31.5 MHs temp 75 fan 50
With new blockchain driver 34.5 MHs temp 76 fan 49

Over clocked using Wattman and managed to get some good results so far

I found running temps had a big effect on speeds.
Getting the temp under 70 = +3 MHs

Also adjusted memory clock up to 1025mhz and

Current speed 41.2 MHs temp 68 fan 62

First time poster and newbie miner also not done much overclocking so still figuring things out advice would be great. Some questions tho

Are the fans cool to run at that speed 24hrs?
What effect does increasing/decreasing the GPU speed?
Also any help on undervolting would be great I still can't understand how it works on wattman

Quick update my card seems to max out at 1025mhz memory speed any higher and the rate drops to 37-38 again

Comments

• Wolf0Wolf0 Posts: 306Member ✭✭✭
    I undervolt it on Linux, then it's awesome.
  • lablettlablett Posts: 186Member ✭✭
    Wolf0 said:

@Wolf0 - when you say awesome - what are you getting as torn to get Vega 64 or some more580's!

• SIRacer09SIRacer09 Posts: 243Member ✭✭
    lablett said:

Wolf0 said:

@Wolf0 - when you say awesome - what are you getting as torn to get Vega 64 or some more580's!

I too am curious. I've got a Vega 64 that I'm debating on taking back... heard it's WAY to loud and WAY to hot for little hash gain.
  • jsanzspjsanzsp Posts: 150Member ✭✭
    VEGA price x3 RX 500 ,power X3 RX 500 , vega hashrate 41, hash rate X3 RX 400/500 80/90 MHS any reason for buy VEGA?
    lablett said:

Wolf0 said:

I'll be getting a lot more Vega 64 cards if I can find them in stock!
  • SIRacer09SIRacer09 Posts: 243Member ✭✭
    Wolf0 said:

lablett said:

Wolf0 said:

I'll be getting a lot more Vega 64 cards if I can find them in stock!
    Could you give us a ballpark on best hash you are seeing? Are you anywhere near the 70-100?
    I don't have it yet - just ordered one today.
  • cidmocidmo Posts: 326Member ✭✭
    theres been rumors of 74
    but after seeing vega in general i bet it was 2 cards on a stock bios
    and just a rumor
    itll be nice to see what itll go to with a modded bios
    but hbm is a bit different than 400/500
    this will be prolly another low power card like the nanos
    squeezing a crazy amount of hash per watt
    well see tho just speculating without my hands on one yet
  • billbbillb Posts: 11Member
    Yeah the max I can get from 1 card is 41.2 dropping to 40.5 after 30 min. Still waiting for my wall monitor to check power usage.

Im currently building a rig with 4x vega64s and running into a problem with random freezes. The build is

Asus 270z
    I3 processor
    850w PSU for mb and 2 cards
    650w PSU for the other 2 cards
    120gb SSD
    4gb ram
    4x Vega 64

The rig runs fine with 2 cards ( any combo - both from 850psu/1 card from each psu)
    Rig was also running fine with 2x Vega and 1x 560
    The problems start when I have all 4 hookup up computer runs slow and random freezes. Im sure it's a ram issue ( min req for Vega is 8gb and im trying to run 4 cards with 4gb ). Can this be what's causing the problem?
    Got everything up and running now. Decided to start from scratch, uninstalled everything wiped the bios reinstalled windows then set BIOS for multiple GPUs installed cards switched on and success all GPUs connected to mb. Installed drivers and been mining stable since. Power usage is crazy for these bad boys tho.

Running Vega driver for now and managing 147mhs@1100w for now but with the blockchain driver I think 162+MHs should be reachable

• cidmocidmo Posts: 326Member ✭✭
    try lower clocks with it and see what the ratio is below running max
    my nanos run most efficient around 22Mh
    try lower freq on the HBM too and see what u get
    ima get 2 of the 56 cards for gaming rigs so ill play with one of them
    itll be waterblocked tho so prolly not completely real world mining
  • capricacaprica Posts: 1Member
    Wolf0 said:

There have been some severe driver issues on Linux with regard to rx vega mining. Hopefully there will be a fix soon but right I think Win10 is what you have to use.
    So I've been playing around with the 2 drivers available and found the blockchain driver to be too hard on the cards. I can get a stable 163
    mhs running at 1100W total power with the blockchain driver but temps/fans/power are too high as can only undervolt to -5% before mem clock becomes unstable. With the newest and driver I can get 155mhs running on 750w undervolting to -20%

Set up for each was

Blockchain driver mem 1025 core -10% temp target 68 power -5% total power 1100W

Crimson 17.8.2 mem 1100 core 1000mhz temp target 60 power -20% total power 750W

Having some issues with one of the GPUs on the crimson driver settings, after 5mins on these settings the hash rate drops to 0 then the card crashes and resets in wattman. Pulled the underclock back a bit (1085/1200/-15 power) and it's been running stable with little loss of hash rate. Currently lowering the speeds now to see where the issue was. Strangely this card also hashed slower on the BC driver.

One thing I noticed is that when a card crashes in wattman it will then run at full speed regardless of mining or not. Restarting pc fixes this.
  • samjankussamjankus Posts: 70Member
    billb said:

So I've been playing around with the 2 drivers available and found the blockchain driver to be too hard on the cards. I can get a stable 163
    mhs running at 1100W total power with the blockchain driver but temps/fans/power are too high as can only undervolt to -5% before mem clock becomes unstable. With the newest and driver I can get 155mhs running on 750w undervolting to -20%

Set up for each was

Blockchain driver mem 1025 core -10% temp target 68 power -5% total power 1100W

Crimson 17.8.2 mem 1100 core 1000mhz temp target 60 power -20% total power 750W

Having some issues with one of the GPUs on the crimson driver settings, after 5mins on these settings the hash rate drops to 0 then the card crashes and resets in wattman. Pulled the underclock back a bit (1085/1200/-15 power) and it's been running stable with little loss of hash rate. Currently lowering the speeds now to see where the issue was. Strangely this card also hashed slower on the BC driver.

One thing I noticed is that when a card crashes in wattman it will then run at full speed regardless of mining or not. Restarting pc fixes this.

That is spectacular. MH/Watt is really good. Too bad so $$$.
  • greatauror28greatauror28 Posts: 86Member
    edited August 31
    Snipping tool is really an underrated software.
    I picked up a Vega 56 today and was about to hook it up but am having doubts about powering another GPU from any of my PSUs. I have 850w+650w psus each powering 2 GPUs and the 850 powering the mb. With the total power draw at 770w the 850w PSU should have enough power for the 56 but im concerned wattman resets the GPUs and overloads the PSU. Do I need a bigger power supply or should I be good to go?
  • greatauror28greatauror28 Posts: 86Member
    billb said:

I picked up a Vega 56 today and was about to hook it up but am having doubts about powering another GPU from any of my PSUs. I have 850w+650w psus each powering 2 GPUs and the 850 powering the mb. With the total power draw at 770w the 850w PSU should have enough power for the 56 but im concerned wattman resets the GPUs and overloads the PSU. Do I need a bigger power supply or should I be good to go?

Wait, so you have a total of 1500w and you only use a couple of 580s (plus components) and you're adamant of adding a Vega 56 which more or less draws about 200w of additional power? If my math isn't that rusted, you're more than alright to proceed.

P.S. I use 6x 580s dual-mining with 2x 750w gold PSU and i draw only about ~1000w at the wall.

Wait, so you have a total of 1500w and you only use a couple of 580s (plus components) and you're adamant of adding a Vega 56 which more or less draws about 200w of additional power?

Im running 4x Vega 64s. Total power before underclocking was 1280W so im worried if I add the Vega 56 and wattman resets the cards then it would overload the PSU.

• samjankussamjankus Posts: 70Member
    billb said:

Wait, so you have a total of 1500w and you only use a couple of 580s (plus components) and you're adamant of adding a Vega 56 which more or less draws about 200w of additional power?

Im running 4x Vega 64s. Total power before underclocking was 1280W so im worried if I add the Vega 56 and wattman resets the cards then it would overload the PSU.

Doesn't matter how many cards you have hooked up... they will not be mining when you start and use the computer right? So they won't be used, and so no power draw. Just turn it on... check and update Wattman settings and done.

Or am I missing something?