Ethereum Mining pool for noobs! noobpool.com

Comments

• danxdanx californiaMember Posts: 145 ✭✭
    Yeah, it is a bit scary for new people because until a block is found it doesn't show how much ethereum you have actually mined, that's why in the really big pools it goes up often because they have 25k miners and blocks being found constantly.

That is an issue for new pools, if you don't have a bunch of rigs yourself, or pay for hash power your pool will have a low hash rate and look less attractive to new people so the rate stays low. If all the people who didn't mine because of the low hash rate were to decide to give it a shot for a day, the rate would probably be much, much higher.

It will take some time, but once we find our first block and it shows the payouts, people will feel a little more confident and should start to join.
    I don't want people to think I'm doing nothing because the website isn't changing. Behind the scenes I'm working on a graphing system, email notifications, a better looking interface, and a mining rig to bump up our hash rate and get the blocks found faster. Currently my power cost is almost .30KW/H and I have horrible internet speeds, so looking into renting a building somewhere to start setting up rigs, the commercial electric rate is only .09 here. The pool server is at a datacenter with a 1 gig internet connection, so no worries there.

There will be a lot of improvements over the next couple weeks.
  • vintagemintagevintagemintage Member Posts: 9
    You know I haven't direct mined actual ETH in awhile (mostly trade into it from mining other coins) but what the hey I'll give it a shot for a half day or so (330-340hash). I think you have better luck with keeping miners if you went to PPLNS so as to discourage hops and encourage loyalty, though not sure if that entails more cost. Maybe we'll get lucky ;)
    Hopefully we will mine our first block soon so everyone can get a payday, that extra 330MH will speed it up. :)
    edited July 2017
    I'm mining ETC at the moment at another pool, that has been VERY lucky for me. Going to give it another 18 hrs to see if it was a fluke. Will let you know if things change. Would you consider changing to Classic for awhile? I run a small FB group that can bring some extra hash beyond that (like a gig or 2 depending where your servers are)
    I'm considering setting up a subdomain and running an etc node from there, but I'm going to keep the ETH going as it is for now. I've already setup the sub domain actually, etc.noobpool.com but it's not running for etc yet. I'm not a Linux expert and still working on figuring out how to point that subdomain to a separate folder.

The server is at a datacenter on the east coast, so that also makes it a little harder because I have to remote connect to it and do everything with command line.
  • ravenigmaravenigma Member Posts: 11
    I'll be redirecting my miner to your pool after I receive my next payout from Nanopool, which should be in the next day or so. I'm currently at about 66Mh/s but I have another 1070 on the way.
    I've worked out most of the issues with running ETH and ETC on the same server, so should have an etc node available in the next few days.
    danx said:

Yeah, it is a bit scary for new people because until a block is found it doesn't show how much ethereum you have actually mined, that's why in the really big pools it goes up often because they have 25k miners and blocks being found constantly.

That is an issue for new pools, if you don't have a bunch of rigs yourself, or pay for hash power your pool will have a low hash rate and look less attractive to new people so the rate stays low. If all the people who didn't mine because of the low hash rate were to decide to give it a shot for a day, the rate would probably be much, much higher.

It will take some time, but once we find our first block and it shows the payouts, people will feel a little more confident and should start to join.

Are you able to estimate how long until a block is found given the pool's current hashrate? I'm new to mining so don't know a lot about how that works.
  • rubberduckorubberducko Member Posts: 1
    Joined with my rather small rigs combining 25-30MH. Lets see if we can get that first block soon.
    Luck plays a part in it as well, so we could get lucky and find it in the next couple days if the hash rate stays around the 1GH mark like it has been or could take a week. But I doubt it will take longer than that. I'd guess within the next couple days.
  • therocktherock Member Posts: 45
    So far whats the average time needed to mine ?
    Can't come up with an average since we are still working on our first block.
    It looks like we may have found our first block, though it is not yet mature.

http://www.noobpool.com/#/blocks/immature
    edited July 2017
    Yep, and payments are already going out, an hour and a half after I said it would be a few days if we are lucky. Guess I was off.
    Yes they are! Just received mine!
    edited July 2017
    And now that people see that everything is legit, the hash rate has doubled since we found the block. :)

From the time the block was found until the time everyone was paid took 1 hour. 45 minutes for the block to be verified, and 15 minutes for all the payments to be made. What more could you ask for? Other than blocks being found more often and the price of eth to jump up to the range of bitcoin. But I think we are off to a good start.
    Post edited by danx on
    I setup Telegram chat for our pool, the link is on the website, top left.

noobpool.com A mining pool for everyone, even those who don't have a house full of mining rigs.
  • tearsdontfalltearsdontfall Member Posts: 23
    having huge amount of hashers in a pool is beneficial or having small amount of hashers in a pool is beneficial ?

is it something like this that in a large pool i will get small amount of shares because there are many people who hash better hash power than me and the opposite in small pool i will get large amount of shares because i have better hash power than others.

wanted to know in details.
    That's a matter of personal choice really. In a large pool, like nanopool for example, with over 30k miners and mine a block every few minutes, you will get your share added to your pending amount much more often. In a smaller pool like ours, at our current rate will mine a block a week, so it will show a 0 pending balance until that block is mined. You will consistently earn a little more in a smaller pool you just won't see it as fast.

Luck is also a factor. If you contribute say 5% to the total mining to mine a block and that block is mined in a week, you will make more than if it's not as lucky and takes 10 days. In the larger pools where they mine a block in 3-5 minutes, luck doesn't really matter much because you won't be contributing enough to notice a difference if it's found 2 minutes faster than the last block.

So basically in a large pool you have faster updates to your amount and a very consistent amount earned. Smaller pools it's longer between updates but with the luck factor being more of a factor you should consistently earn more.

For instance, with the block we mined last night we had a 31% variance and some people reported making 3 times as much as they would have in the same amount of mining time using nanopool's estimated earnings calculator. It won't always be that way of course as luck can be bad too, but in my opinion the good will outweigh the bad when it comes to that. Not to mention it's exciting to see a block being found earlier than expected.

Don't get me wrong, not saying anything bad about nanopool, they are huge and I could only dream of my pool getting anywhere close to their level.

I hope that made sense.
    Basically, you'll "usually" get a bigger payout with a smaller pool but you can't lose your dick while waiting and quit. It sometimes can take days...
    Our hash rate has been pretty steady around 3.5GH. That means we should get a block about every 5 days depending on luck.
    I'm mining on your pool for last two days and today I saw a weird thing. when I get share then my round share % is increasing but when I am not getting any shares/stop mining for a while then my round share % is dropping every second. why this is happening?? I have never seen this type of thing in any pool :/
    The amount of round share is divided between the people mining by how much they mine. When you stop and others continue to mine, their share % goes up and yours goes down. It always calculates to 100% across all miners.
  • VadimVadim Member Posts: 20
    edited July 2017
    Yeah this is pretty obvious... at least for me. What does Current Round Variance mean? Is this is kind of a chance to find new block for pool? Previous one was stopped on 31%. Gonna add a couple new rigs soon.
    Current round variance is kinda like the luck factor. Below 100% you had good luck, over 100% not so good. Luck has a lot more impact on smaller pools than larger ones. Large pools find blocks every few minutes so doesn't really matter much. Smaller pools can get lucky, like we did on the last block and it makes a big difference.
  • blizoblizo Member Posts: 1
    Joined the Telegram group but there's no way for me to type a reply. Theres only Mute and Unmute. First time using telegram btw.
    It's mostly for sending information, not really a chat program. There is a way to set it up to work like that and I am going to change it soon.
    I am continuously mining for last 3 days in your pool. my round share was .89% in the evening but now I am checking its .83% :/ why this kind of thing happening with me ?
    That's pretty simple. You're mining for a share of 100%. Miners with a bigger hash rate are getting a higher share and that lowers the % for everyone else. That's how it should be. Someone with 500MH/s should get a higher % of the 100% than someone with a 20MH/s. It doesn't mean you'll earn less because the block will be found faster. If you were to mine solo you'd get 100%, but it could take months to find a block.