Vega Performance

13567

Comments

  • erstwealerstweal MidwestMember Posts: 109 ✭✭
    Who is taking pre-orders?
  • midoprincemidoprince Member Posts: 189 ✭✭
    matricea said:

    I ordered one rx vega 64 :)
    They said just couple of days.

    cool
    waiting ur screenshots
  • homerklezhomerklez Member Posts: 13
    Looks like Claymore just released 9.8 with support for Vega cards. This should be interesting, I eagerly await the first official results :) I'm skeptical about 70MH/s let alone 100, but lets see!
  • MertGMertG Member Posts: 8
    erstweal said:

    Who is taking pre-orders?

    İ'm curious as well. Who is taking pre orders?
  • CryptoGiraffeCryptoGiraffe Member Posts: 32
    matricea said:

    I ordered one rx vega 64 :)
    They said just couple of days.

    Please someone give sources where we can pre order.
  • CryptoGiraffeCryptoGiraffe Member Posts: 32
    Please who is taking pre orders I need them !!!
  • boysieboysie Member Posts: 585 ✭✭✭
    been playing a little more over the last few days , seems the FE edition is sensitive to heat above 60c which is mental! any thing over and it throttles. @ 1600/1075 and 1080/1075 in a warm room it sits at 75c 100% rpm and hashes at 32-33MH, in a cooler room @ 100% RPM it hashes at 37-37.5MH @ 60c and as its windows down clocking doesn't work

    @Wolf0

    I thought undervolting never existed on in Linux, is this some thing new with this vega driver set?
  • Wolf0Wolf0 Member Posts: 319 ✭✭✭
    boysie said:

    been playing a little more over the last few days , seems the FE edition is sensitive to heat above 60c which is mental! any thing over and it throttles. @ 1600/1075 and 1080/1075 in a warm room it sits at 75c 100% rpm and hashes at 32-33MH, in a cooler room @ 100% RPM it hashes at 37-37.5MH @ 60c and as its windows down clocking doesn't work

    @Wolf0

    I thought undervolting never existed on in Linux, is this some thing new with this vega driver set?

    I modified the Linux Kernel. :P
  • ckailianckailian Member Posts: 28
    wait for vega to come to my country!
  • automobileautomobile Member Posts: 5
    boysie said:

    ... in a cooler room @ 100% RPM it hashes at 37-37.5MH @ 60c...

    What is the average temp in this room (approx.)?
    Seems like it can go over 40 MH if tuned well.
  • boysieboysie Member Posts: 585 ✭✭✭
    edited August 7

    boysie said:

    ... in a cooler room @ 100% RPM it hashes at 37-37.5MH @ 60c...

    What is the average temp in this room (approx.)?
    Seems like it can go over 40 MH if tuned well.
    I cant get the mem to be stable above 1080, I can use up to 1100 but will crash quite quickly and temp is impossible to keep down

    never come across a gpu that can run at max at 61c

    my advice is steer clear of the air version if this is what they are going to do in the rx and water cool all the way, its the only way to get the clocks up and stay up

    I have an ek block on order and a lot of exp with water so will at least keep it lower than 60 dual mining, btw it does 1.3GH at the same time as 37MH dual mining but as I say temps go wild and slows it right down.

    the room is warm it has other miners in it, I can imagine how this would ever work in a case, useless blower on the FE lets hope the rx blowers are better but I expect not, and only the AIB will come close to staying on top of the temps, or they will mod their bios to not strangle the card as soon as it gets to 60c plus

    40MH is a no go with mem crashing out. I might be just unlucky with my one but most have said they cant get very high. I hope its a heat issue and they will be have slightly better with water block and a good contact with some better pads.

    Oh and all this is with current shit driver in windows and with out a timings mod in sight when both them happen I expect 50 plus with water cooling and dual mining nearly 50MH/2GH dual dcr but the heat and power will be larger like 400w+ so if you custom build your water cooling massively over size it
  • ecs87ecs87 Dekalb, ILMember Posts: 273 ✭✭
    Perhaps there's a stupid low temp ceiling in the BIOS? I figure once the new ADL drops they'll add support for the Vega and I can check it out (once I get my hands on one).

    FWIW, I doubt it'll reach the performance levels needed to beat the Polaris architecture for mining. 400+ watts means it'll need more than double the performance to equal the 400 and 500 series cards. Even at 50MH, it's still not worth it. On the other hand, 60MH with BIOS mods would tweak everyones interest.
  • Wolf0Wolf0 Member Posts: 319 ✭✭✭
    ecs87 said:

    Perhaps there's a stupid low temp ceiling in the BIOS? I figure once the new ADL drops they'll add support for the Vega and I can check it out (once I get my hands on one).

    FWIW, I doubt it'll reach the performance levels needed to beat the Polaris architecture for mining. 400+ watts means it'll need more than double the performance to equal the 400 and 500 series cards. Even at 50MH, it's still not worth it. On the other hand, 60MH with BIOS mods would tweak everyones interest.

    I can mod the timings, but flashing an unsigned VBIOS to the card will cause it not to function. Need to get tricky with it. :3
  • automobileautomobile Member Posts: 5
    boysie said:

    never come across a gpu that can run at max at 61c

    I think it's because of a "crude" BIOS/driver and a "professional" grade of the card. AMD wants to play safe and If the card becomes hot, they had programmed throttle to prevent overheating. Maybe some "modded" anti-throttle BIOSes will available as the RX-series come in stock. Also it would be very appreciated if someone could mod it for the FE-series as well.
    boysie said:

    useless blower on the FE lets hope the rx blowers are better but I expect not, and only the AIB will come close to staying on top of the temps, or they will mod their bios to not strangle the card as soon as it gets to 60c plus

    Most likely RX blowers will remain the same exept for the color.
    boysie said:

    I might be just unlucky with my one but most have said they cant get very high. I hope its a heat issue and they will be have slightly better with water block and a good contact with some better pads.

    FE is like a "professional" grade card, so the chips here should be better than the RX-oriented card has. But I'm afraid of that the BIOS/driver for the RX-serie could appear as more preferable for mining purposes, although the cards are the same, exept for a memory amount.
    boysie said:

    I expect 50 plus with water cooling and dual mining nearly 50MH/2GH dual dcr but the heat and power will be larger like 400w+ so if you custom build your water cooling massively over size it

    50MH sounds good. A rig with 6 of them gets you to 300MH! But now it's just an expectation only.
  • Wolf0Wolf0 Member Posts: 319 ✭✭✭
    The 61C max isn't a temp throttle, it's a power limit throttle.
  • ecs87ecs87 Dekalb, ILMember Posts: 273 ✭✭
    Wolf0 said:

    ecs87 said:

    Perhaps there's a stupid low temp ceiling in the BIOS? I figure once the new ADL drops they'll add support for the Vega and I can check it out (once I get my hands on one).

    FWIW, I doubt it'll reach the performance levels needed to beat the Polaris architecture for mining. 400+ watts means it'll need more than double the performance to equal the 400 and 500 series cards. Even at 50MH, it's still not worth it. On the other hand, 60MH with BIOS mods would tweak everyones interest.

    I can mod the timings, but flashing an unsigned VBIOS to the card will cause it not to function. Need to get tricky with it. :3
    I thought you Linux guys had it easy with no BIOS-checking drivers? I may have misread that somewhere (I use Linux on my laptop for some native Android development, but haven't used them on my rigs or desktops for mining).
  • Wolf0Wolf0 Member Posts: 319 ✭✭✭
    ecs87 said:

    Wolf0 said:

    ecs87 said:

    Perhaps there's a stupid low temp ceiling in the BIOS? I figure once the new ADL drops they'll add support for the Vega and I can check it out (once I get my hands on one).

    FWIW, I doubt it'll reach the performance levels needed to beat the Polaris architecture for mining. 400+ watts means it'll need more than double the performance to equal the 400 and 500 series cards. Even at 50MH, it's still not worth it. On the other hand, 60MH with BIOS mods would tweak everyones interest.

    I can mod the timings, but flashing an unsigned VBIOS to the card will cause it not to function. Need to get tricky with it. :3
    I thought you Linux guys had it easy with no BIOS-checking drivers? I may have misread that somewhere (I use Linux on my laptop for some native Android development, but haven't used them on my rigs or desktops for mining).
    You're right, but they didn't do it in the driver this time.
  • magarci4magarci4 Member Posts: 8
    Wolf0 said:

    The 61C max isn't a temp throttle, it's a power limit throttle.

    Then even with a block of water (for down the temp) as @boysie want to do , he will not get better results. Right?
  • Wolf0Wolf0 Member Posts: 319 ✭✭✭
    magarci4 said:

    Wolf0 said:

    The 61C max isn't a temp throttle, it's a power limit throttle.

    Then even with a block of water (for down the temp) as @boysie want to do , he will not get better results. Right?
    He may get results a LITTLE better - as the hotter the chip gets, the more power it will use - but not a lot, you are correct, I think.
  • automobileautomobile Member Posts: 5
    edited August 8
    Wolf0 said:

    The 61C max isn't a temp throttle, it's a power limit throttle.

    2x8pin + 14nm = 400 watts / 61C ONLY? 295x2 goes over 650 watts.

  • Wolf0Wolf0 Member Posts: 319 ✭✭✭

    Wolf0 said:

    The 61C max isn't a temp throttle, it's a power limit throttle.

    2x8pin + 14nm = 400 watts / 61C ONLY? 295x2 goes over 650 watts.

    Power limit isn't at 400W... not in the VBIOS.
  • PMmeyourBTCPMmeyourBTC UK BristolMember Posts: 49
  • Miner8472Miner8472 Member Posts: 73
    for a brief moment I thought that was a miner and behind him were his giant rigs and he was showing off his new vega cards
  • SIRacer09SIRacer09 Member Posts: 245 ✭✭
    Will be interesting to see what the new drivers can do with VEGA. I've got some money set aside, but I think I'll wait to see what they can do. 100 MH/s seems pretty far fetched. Haha
  • lablettlablett Member Posts: 216 ✭✭
  • buuhh99buuhh99 Member Posts: 18
    boysie, what are you running for your power limit? Mine struggles above the stock 900, seems to always drop to the 500.
  • SIRacer09SIRacer09 Member Posts: 245 ✭✭
    lablett said:

    The price is looking a bit steeper than AMD first announced! http://wccftech.com/amd-radeon-rx-vega-64-price-599-usd-reference-model/

    That would suck. Haha! Was hoping to grab 3-4 if they turned out to be great for hashrate. Guess we'll see in a few days...

  • automobileautomobile Member Posts: 5
    Why is there a Big Tasty on the box? Someone will get greese stains on his Vega. Bon appetite!
  • Wolf0Wolf0 Member Posts: 319 ✭✭✭
    Wolf0 said:

    Wolf0 said:

    The 61C max isn't a temp throttle, it's a power limit throttle.

    2x8pin + 14nm = 400 watts / 61C ONLY? 295x2 goes over 650 watts.

    Power limit isn't at 400W... not in the VBIOS.
    To back this up - example from my Vega FE's stock VBIOS:

    [wolf@kineta ~/Desktop/VBIOS]$ ohgodatool -f VEGA-stock.rom --show-tdc
    OhGodATool - v1.3 (OGAC Confidential)


    TDC = 300A
    Amps times volts equals watts, of course, and let's look at the stock voltage for the highest DPM state...

    [wolf@kineta ~/Desktop/VBIOS]$ ohgodatool -f VEGA-stock.rom --core-state -1 --show-core
    OhGodATool - v1.3 (OGAC Confidential)

    GFXClk state 7:
    VDDC: 1200
    Clock: 1600
    CKSVOffsetandDisable: 0x00000000
    AVFSOffset: 0

    1.2V * 300A == 360W limit.
  • boysieboysie Member Posts: 585 ✭✭✭
    buuhh99 said:

    boysie, what are you running for your power limit? Mine struggles above the stock 900, seems to always drop to the 500.

    +22
Sign In or Register to comment.