Vega Performance

boysieboysie Member Posts: 591 ✭✭✭
Please post your Vega Performance links and any info you have about real life performance mining or alike.
People should start receiving the cards today or tomorrow and It would be good to start a thread capturing people experiences

Thanks

Boysie

Comments

• ShnikesShnikes Member Posts: 22
    @lablett 33mh/s ? Should I have been expecting more?
  • FurryBuxyFurryBuxy Member Posts: 42
    33mh/s is not bad if it can be modded further, probably not worth the price though
  • boysieboysie Member Posts: 591 ✭✭✭
    once a bios editor can be found and then a sig hack which will no doubt be needed then the timings can be tightened up, an RX480/580 only gets 24MH OOB and can hit 33 with bios mod. so 33 is a fairly good sign just not for the price maybe a good hope for 40+
  • DavidC1DavidC1 Member Posts: 40
    I don't think the hashes will get much higher. 40, if lucky.

In contrast the Tesla P100 gets 270MH/s in a 4x configuration meaning each does close to 70MH/s. It uses HBM2 as well.

My theory is that AMD's memory controllers are just not that good compared to Nvidia. It has always been the case. Intel and Nvidia's chipset memory controllers were neck-and-neck, and AMD was noticeably behind.
  • dueiddueid Member Posts: 33
    edited June 2017
    It is a workstation grade not mining or games card. Better wait for rX 580 stock. Strictly advised by AMD Vega it is for AI development and graphics editing HBM is for buffering pixels at high development work loads not for games, workstation grade. This cards don't perform well in mining.

For 1000 usd dollars you buy 4x rX 580(250 rrp) which gives you an average of 120 mHs.

Not worth the investment, wait patiently for aMd stock on rx 580, they will be releasing enough in order to compete with Nvidia, in case they want to retain in market share. Which ethereum mining as been working well for them.

My mSi rx 480 4 GB and 8GB hashes at 28 and 30 stable, considering I invested $260 each they are well better then Vega Frontier edition at 33 mHs - (50 mHs lets suppose) priced at $1000, even though if modded, not worth the investment of $1000 per card!!! iMo.

Again, this is a work station grade card not a gaming mining card.

Post edited by dueid on
  • DavidC1DavidC1 Member Posts: 40
    edited June 2017
    28-30 isn't better than 33. :)

Being aimed at a workstation and costing $10,000 doesn't prevent Tesla P100 from vastly outperforming any existing solutions.

The problem is likely much more deep down. Like architectural. The gaming cards will also cost far less, but even at 40MH/s its better to buy RX series cards or even GTX 1060s.
    edited June 2017
    Vega is in the market to price down Nvidia stupid pricey cards, that doesn't allow people in some environments to be able to afford AI and development cards, rather then pricing their technology at sky rocketing prices, AMD gives you a great architecture for a great value to work on them.

aMd is turning tables around and disrupting areas, where they have great speeds on their cPus at the moment and beating iNtel and Nvidia, acquiring market share from this two.

In there, I put a tumbs up for AMD.

Its nothing to do with architecture, this cards are great but not for mining @DavidC1. They are for game development environments, Ai environments, 4k studio editing etc... and they excel in there.

Again this is a workstation grade, and for that reason not suitable for mining iMo.
    Post edited by dueid on
  • fveilleuxfveilleux Member Posts: 15
    From what I can gather, the VEGA has a 483 GB/s Memory Bandwidth bus while the 480 as a 224+ GB/s.
    So right off the bat you can expect a 50Mhs OOB for eth.
  • zuzuxzuzux Member Posts: 40
    i will wait rx vega parts for mining ,this board is for solidwork kind job
    So I have managed to get a Vega working with almost all miners apart from any claymore so it seems its just claymore that's not working

lets hope he is feeling rich and got him self one or knows why its failing, maybe its due to recognising it as a gfx900

with no tweaking its using 250-270w @ 33MH but it gets hot and in a hot room its gets really hot and is throttling back and settling down at 25MH :( although it uses less power its doing less

It has the same issue the rx 480 had with the card controlling the fan where by it would prefer to thermal throttle back to go slower than ramp up the fan, I guess this is a more quite option but it impacts the perf by quite a lot

You can get round it by setting the min fan speed at 80% and max at 100% and up the power to 20% but then its using 350w but is stable at 33Mh 1600/945

I'll play more and hope @claymore can fix the issue with his software, both zcash and eth/dual and night

Boysie

Now the fun starts.
    Overclocking mem and undervolting core/mem
    almost at 40Mh

I would save time and return it.
    dueid said:

I would save time and return it.

no sense of adventure!
  • FurryBuxyFurryBuxy Member Posts: 42
    keep going, you will have a better idea when the gaming one hits the market. hows the power from the wall?
    I'm under volting both core and mem and at the above screenshot its sitting at 330w for entire system using a 750 gold 230v psu. I haven't focused on power yet just enough to get the temps down so thermal throttling is no longer an issue. more to come, small steps, it seems to mostly mem speed bound, not tried under clocking core yet...or overclocking it.
  • workwork Member Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭✭
    Need to get my hands on one of these. Been hard to track one down. Be interesting to see what some kernel tuning could produce.

Thanks for sharing as usual, @boysie.
  • lablettlablett Member Posts: 333 ✭✭
    boysie said:

I'm under volting both core and mem and at the above screenshot its sitting at 330w for entire system using a 750 gold 230v psu. I haven't focused on power yet just enough to get the temps down so thermal throttling is no longer an issue. more to come, small steps, it seems to mostly mem speed bound, not tried under clocking core yet...or overclocking it.

How much did the card cost ?
  • BUTUZBUTUZ Member Posts: 139 ✭✭
    Can you test what it does on Zec? it should be good.
    BUTUZ said:

what miner would you recommend? assuming you have seen that no claymore miners work on it? and it needs to be windows based, fed up of rebuilding to Linux only to have the same issue or worse perf.
  • hero420hero420 Member Posts: 4
    Hi boysie, I would like to thank you for sharing such nice results. Please keep us updated as you do any progress.

With shitty drivers and no optimized miner, i can see 41.32Mhs max, is a great result.
    Maybe these cards have a potential to go far beyond 60Mhs.

I read somewhere the max memory oc can be upto 1800 MHz. So far people have managed to do very small overclocks on memory. How far did you go?
    hero420 said:

Hi boysie, I would like to thank you for sharing such nice results. Please keep us updated as you do any progress.

With shitty drivers and no optimized miner, i can see 41.32Mhs max, is a great result.
    Maybe these cards have a potential to go far beyond 60Mhs.

I read somewhere the max memory oc can be upto 1800 MHz. So far people have managed to do very small overclocks on memory. How far did you go?

I get to 1105, if I go over this the card hangs almost instantly.

The slider indeed does go way up but my speedo in my car says 200MPH doesn't mean it will ever be able to. Still I'm hoping for better driver support in the coming weeks as clearly its a pile of £hiT right now. But expected given their previous releases on day 1/week1

60 seems a little high and would need more than driver support for that, bios mod and a driver that allows it. the RX vega I'm not expecting any more off just to be a bit cheaper because it wont have the Pro mode which I haven't really tested yet coz I think cant mod the clocks/power will have to check though.

Boysie
  • HelioxHeliox Member, Moderator Posts: 634 mod
    Custom timings and a bit of finetuning will get you easily near 50Mh on those.

Will consume a shitload though..
  • BUTUZBUTUZ Member Posts: 139 ✭✭
    boysie said:

BUTUZ said:

what miner would you recommend? assuming you have seen that no claymore miners work on it? and it needs to be windows based, fed up of rebuilding to Linux only to have the same issue or worse perf.
    Ah ok I thought you were talking about Eth only. You can try Optiminer Zec its about the same performance as Claymore usually? Cheers for taking the time to experiment, currently it looks like 1080ti is way better price, and lower power?
  • zuzuxzuzux Member Posts: 40
    none of miners have optimization for vega btw .wait rx vega for real perfomance
  • poissonpoisson Member Posts: 8
    dueid said:

It is a workstation grade not mining or games card. Better wait for rX 580 stock. Strictly advised by AMD Vega it is for AI development and graphics editing HBM is for buffering pixels at high development work loads not for games, workstation grade. This cards don't perform well in mining.

For 1000 usd dollars you buy 4x rX 580(250 rrp) which gives you an average of 120 mHs.

Not worth the investment, wait patiently for aMd stock on rx 580, they will be releasing enough in order to compete with Nvidia, in case they want to retain in market share. Which ethereum mining as been working well for them.

My mSi rx 480 4 GB and 8GB hashes at 28 and 30 stable, considering I invested $260 each they are well better then Vega Frontier edition at 33 mHs - (50 mHs lets suppose) priced at $1000, even though if modded, not worth the investment of $1000 per card!!! iMo.

Vega is a gaming card, but is also a workstation card--it's comparable to the Nvidia Titan Xp in that regard. However, the reason why you shouldn't get a Vega FE is the same reason you shouldn't use Titan cards to mine ETH. The true workstation grade cards are the FirePro and Quadro series that use actual certified drivers for applications like CAD, or whatever rending software you use, and cost several thousand dollars.

That being said, the Vega FE is an accurate representation of what we can expect for RX cards. AMD has several drivers for FE owners to choose from depending on their tasks (i.e.- gaming, workstation, compute, etc).

The real question is how well it can perform after optimizations. I saw someone got 40 Mh/s, but I have no idea what exactly they did to "optimize".

poisson said:

dueid said:

Vega is a gaming card, but is also a workstation card--it's comparable to the Nvidia Titan Xp in that regard. However, the reason why you shouldn't get a Vega FE is the same reason you shouldn't use Titan cards to mine ETH. The true workstation grade cards are the FirePro and Quadro series that use actual certified drivers for applications like CAD, or whatever rending software you use, and cost several thousand dollars.

That being said, the Vega FE is an accurate representation of what we can expect for RX cards. AMD has several drivers for FE owners to choose from depending on their tasks (i.e.- gaming, workstation, compute, etc).

The real question is how well it can perform after optimizations. I saw someone got 40 Mh/s, but I have no idea what exactly they did to "optimize".

Hey, its was I that got 40 and really its only been as a spike not a constant, 37-38 is the constant and for some reason that comes down over time to 33.8 although I have no idea why, its not heat or any thing like that and could be driver or miner, until Claymore gets his working on this card we will be in the dark as to what it really can achieve. I've never really like ethminer but its currently the only one that works

In th eUK the rx580 are now running around £350 plus and you are right 28Mh which is what you are actually likely to get does stack up if you got 2 or 3 of them and power wise it is comparable but its all a bit of fun right.

The card is as you say this expensive because of the workstation mode not the gaming mode, I expect the RX vega to retail at $699 or £699 and at launch that will quickly rise to £800 with high demand and possibly even more. I don't see why they will perform any better other than they have had longer to get the gaming driver tuned up which the FE will use anyway when in gaming mode. plus we are going to no doubt mod that bios if we can at any point to gain perf like you have to with any rx version.

Its all good fun and the war of nv and amd continues...
    edited July 2017
    They have a test mode for games but that's all, not completely for gaming, the card it's not aimed for gaming.

What they aim is, Ai and studios graphics rendering.

The Rx vega will be slightly better, but even with this minining cards that every manufacturer is releasing to feed demand, is a joke iMo. Better margins for them, less connectors and old chipsets, and taking advantage of mining claiming dedicated cards for the purpose. They are cheap to manufacture.

I will still be waiting for stock on Rx 580, and that's my aim. VEGA is a nonsense card for gaming and mining, both, price and poor mining.

Workstation cards never work well in that sense.

Ps: it's fun overclocking but on 1000 usd cards for mining, I don't touch them iMo, Roi is too low.

Unless they hash at the same rate of 4x cheap cards and same power to save me the amount of pcie connected and heat spreaded around the box. I'd rather increase the life of the Gpu in the long term by having 4 well tunned, instead of maxing 1 out.

Thanks, for taking the time to try it out @boysie

And I think the Rx vega will need to be cheaper than 699.
    Post edited by dueid on