A handful of mining pools are damaging Ethereum -- please help get their settings fixed!

MrYukonCMrYukonC Posts: 626Member ✭✭✭
edited June 22 in Mining
It is believed that the following pools either have the gas limit hardcoded to 4,712,394 or something lower.

These pools need to change their Ethereum client settings to allow for a flexible gas limit (see below on how to do that): If you have contact with any of the above pools, please direct them to the Reddit thread linked at the bottom so we can help get them setup with the correct command line flags!

The following pools appear to be using the proper settings:

All pools should be running with the following settings:

Geth:
--gasprice 4000000000 --targetgaslimit 4712388

Parity:
--gas-floor-target 4712388 --gas-cap 9000000 --gasprice 4000000000

If you are on social media (Twitter, Facebook, etc.) then please share this thread and get it as widely distributed to your mining friends or friends of friends, as possible.

Thank you!

For more information, please see the following discussion on Reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ethtrader/comments/6imwi2/dwarfpool_and_f2pool_are_damaging_ethereum_a

Thank you!
Post edited by MrYukonC on

Comments

• o0ragman0oo0ragman0o Posts: 1,251Member, Moderator mod
    I personally prefer ethermine.org given their long and stable history and community positive interactions.
  • MrYukonCMrYukonC Posts: 626Member ✭✭✭

I personally prefer ethermine.org given their long and stable history and community positive interactions.

Same here. @dr_pra runs a stand up outfit and has been supporting the Ethereum network since day one.
    Morning bump -- this is extremely important!
  • shutfushutfu Posts: 320Member ✭✭
    we talked on reddit and i made the switch to nanopool. I tried getting in touch with @miningpoolhub here but he hasn't logged-in in months. This is how i've always contacted him before.
  • Dzembo77Dzembo77 Posts: 17Member
    stop mining on those pools and it will either sort itself out or they will eventually die off.
  • wcryanwcryan Posts: 118Member
    im not really familiar with any of this, but does this give them more profit off of miners in the end of things? What are these "bad" settings actually doing
    wcryan said:

im not really familiar with any of this, but does this give them more profit off of miners in the end of things? What are these "bad" settings actually doing

These "bad" settings are preventing the block size from dynamically adjusting upward to accommodate increased transaction traffic.

For example, during ICOs and stuff when the network is under greater load, the block sizes should be allowed to grow in order to carry more TX's per block.

But, some of these miners are running incorrect settings which prevent that from happening and it is effectively choking the network and creating the massive TX backlog that we had earlier this week during the Status ICO.

That in turn leads to a price decline which then hurts EVERYBODY.
  • shutfushutfu Posts: 320Member ✭✭
    has this been addressed yet? I noticed it was removed from the reddit sub
    shutfu said:

has this been addressed yet? I noticed it was removed from the reddit sub

It wasn't removed, it was just unstickied.

Here is some additional discussion surrounding the situation:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/ethereum/comments/6iu566/the_gas_limit_of_4712388_that_we_are_converging/
  • DJNeff01DJNeff01 Posts: 2Member
    MrYukonC I am running a single card out of my Oculus PC and have most parts for a rig sans GPU's. I noticed I have nanopool in my .bat file. Ijust started this and haven't signed up with a "pool" if that's even necessary. Can I just add those lines above to my .bat file and keep on truckin? Thanks and great videos.
    DJNeff01 said:

MrYukonC I am running a single card out of my Oculus PC and have most parts for a rig sans GPU's. I noticed I have nanopool in my .bat file. Ijust started this and haven't signed up with a "pool" if that's even necessary. Can I just add those lines above to my .bat file and keep on truckin? Thanks and great videos.

No, the lines above are not what you are looking for -- they are for the pool operators and their Ethereum mining clients that people like you and I would connect to.

There are too many details to get into in this thread.

If you ask in the mining forum, others will help you get setup:
    https://forum.ethereum.org/categories/mining
  • DJNeff01DJNeff01 Posts: 2Member
    Thanks. I just want to make sure I'm not contributing to the problem.
    DJNeff01 said:

Thanks. I just want to make sure I'm not contributing to the problem.

No, you are definitely NOT part of the problem.
  • danxdanx californiaPosts: 126Member
    I started a new pool, noobpool.com and I saw your post first, so I use the correct settings. I don't want to add to the problem.
  • cochranizer613cochranizer613 Posts: 4Member
    Would it also hurt if the minimal gas price was above that amount?
    So, the good news is that ethpool, ethermine, and ethfans have all voted to raise the gas limit.

I suppose some other pools must have jumped on board as well, because now the gas limit has been raised to ~6.7M+ which is great news.

See the Gas Limit graph here: https://ethstats.net
  • AlanAlan Posts: 1Member
    MrYukonC said:

wcryan said:

But, some of these miners are running incorrect settings which prevent that from happening and it is effectively choking the network and creating the massive TX backlog that we had earlier this week during the Status ICO.

That in turn leads to a price decline which then hurts EVERYBODY.
    As this hurts everybody - on Ethereum - could these "bad settings" be intentional? Could these pools be run by miners who are working for and on other coins?

Would not competitor coins gain at Ethereum's loss?

It seems to me that the core of those on Ethereum Classic might easily think this would be a thing to do.