RX 580 Power Consumption :'(

swifteagleswifteagle Member Posts: 12
Hi all,

I just got some Gigabyte RX580 8GB Gaming cards, I just installed them but it seems my rig is consuming a lot of power at the wall. (using wall power meter)

Default the system was using 980Kwh / 134 mhs claymore.

With Bios mod I found here (https://anorak.tech/t/bios-mod-request-for-rx580-gigabyte-aorus-8gb-hynix/7864/14)

without touching MSI after burner 1300kwh/ 183 mhs.

With coreclock of 1000 and mem clock of 2000: 991Kwh/ 160 mhs...

It just seems like these cards are using a lot of power... with RX470s I was able to get 160mhs at 780kwh, am I doing something wrong?

MSI after burner tells me each card is using 90w... so wouldn't that be 90x6= 540w? + plus the system another 160w, should this thing be in the 800's?

Can someone please lend me a hand.... I only have a 1000w corsair power supply and I dont want to kill it.

Thank you!

Comments

• MrN1ce9uyMrN1ce9uy Member Posts: 158 ✭✭
    edited June 21
    You're looking at kWh? Your energy meter should show you just Watts or volt-amps (VA). It will be different (lower) than kWh.
  • DjithBitDjithBit Member Posts: 40
    faulty wall power meter?
  • MrN1ce9uyMrN1ce9uy Member Posts: 158 ✭✭
    My wall meter shows 682W and 1020kWh.
  • GolfmadGolfmad Member Posts: 34
    I am in a similar situation I have 6 Sapphire RX580s and Im building a rig with a 1000w power supply. I took a look at the official site and it states the wattage is 225! for each card. Think I am going to test it at a max of 4 cards and see how I go.
  • iamnoobplzhelpiamnoobplzhelp Member Posts: 191 ✭✭
    580's definitely take more power than any of the 4xx series. The 470s will take even less power than the 480s. So, that sounds pretty normal to me.

If you want to get your wattage lower, make sure you are undervolting using MSI Afterburner or another overclocking tool.

Some of my RX 580s are taking only 65-70w each, whereas some others I can't get under 100w. It depends on the type of memory and how much you overclock. I suggest getting another power supply and tying them together. I use a 1200w server PSU for the video cards + risers and a ~400w psu for the motherboard, CPU, and SSD.
  • swifteagleswifteagle Member Posts: 12
    Thank you all for your answers and help. I tried a different meter and had the same results.

I need to use KWH now as it the reference point with my RX470's and those rigs are at my dad's who lives 500km away (power is cheaper there).

I was sent a different bios mod, will try it and see if I have better luck.

Can someone please clear up the following for me please:

What I don't understand is that MSI is showing power usage for each card at 73w.

73W x 6 RX580 cards = 438W + system

Why is it still pulling 910w? are those readings from MSI accurate?

Thanks all
  • nhidognhidog Member Posts: 67
    No hwinfo only shows GPU power draw not whole card... For your Rx need add 40-60w per card... System itself should only be 70w. 910 - 70 = 840 / 6 = 140w per GPU... Sounds bout right.
  • swifteagleswifteagle Member Posts: 12
    Hey guys I have a question... playing with MSI after burner, noticed that if I drop my core clock to 900 I get about 100w drop in power consumpotion.. if I go to 901 it goes back up 100W... Just wonder... Would I break my GPUs faster if I continue to use 900? The mhs drops but not too bad... with that drop I actually make a bit more money as I can now dual mine at 830w without worrying about my power supply (1000w).

• jang430jang430 Member Posts: 52
    Hi @swifteagle , How did you get to adjust core clock? I have the same card as you. No matter how I change Claymore -cclock, nothing happens. In afterburner 4.3.0, using 17.7.2, nothing is adjustable.
  • LazrailTRLazrailTR Member Posts: 37
    edited September 14
    guys, 5x rx 580 hynix 8gb >> 155 mh/s (modded bios and 1200/2200 and -96% undervolt >> 930 watt ..lel those cards are just power hungry
  • yodiyodi Member Posts: 257 ✭✭
    edited September 14
    even if i cant understand why you choose 580 and i don't know the rx580 for good bios change , but you have to hardcore downvolt in bios directly , cause rx500 series has more voltage in hardware than rx400 , you'd probably got 29~30 Mh/s with good compromise, i get that for :
    - 8x gpu MSI Rx570 Armor 4gb
    - with AMD driver fix dag
    - Dual Mining
    .... = ~ 1050 Watt At the wall , for exemple of Dual -> ETH = 216 Mh/s / LBRY 500 Mh/s or Dcr 5400 Mh/s
    - no setup in claymore v10 for downvolt or any tweak targeting gpu
    -
    in MSI AB 4.4.0 beta 16 , monitoring ~120w for each GPU (before dag driver fix was to 107)... , voltage showing ~837 mV / Core clock 1075 /Mem Clock 1900
    and best comprimise ... getting close to 27 Mh/s for each GPU , depend of dual mining choice ( never pasc to hard for cards) stable ... sometimes freeze but i got an usb stuff in case of freeze for autoreboot :open_mouth:

ps: anorak is just doing basic changes without testing more , you have to push and try understand to get the best , anyway i 'm not blaming him , he spend time to share lot of bios , thanks to him for all people using and learn from his stuff

edited September 14
    even if i cant understand why you choose 580 and i don't know the rx580 for good bios change , but you have to hardcore downvolt in bios directly , cause rx500 series has more voltage in hardware than rx400 , you'd probably got 29~30 Mh/s with good compromise but close to my consummation, i get that for :
    - Dual Mining
    - WinDumb10
    all folks are = ~ 1050 Watt At the wall , (for exemple of Dual -> ETH = 216 Mh/s / LBRY 500 Mh/s or Dcr 5400 Mh/s)
    -
    in MSI AB 4.4.0 beta 16 , ... , voltage ~ 837 mV / Core clock 1075 /Mem Clock 1900
    the best compromise stable ... getting close to 27 Mh/s for each GPU , depend of dual mining choice ( never pasc to hard for cards) stable ... sometimes freeze but i got an usb stuff in case of freeze for autoreboot :open_mouth:

ps: anorak is just doing basic changes without testing more , you have to push and try understand to get the best , anyway i 'm not blaming him , he spend time to share lot of bios , thanks to him for all people using and learn from his stuff
    Post edited by yodi on
  • wirelessnet2wirelessnet2 Member Posts: 368 ✭✭✭
    edited September 15
    lol i got 8 RX 480 under 1000w from the power supply and it pulls 1032 watts from the wall while producing 227 MH/s
    all completely reference cards

lol i got 8 RX 480 under 1000w from the power supply and it pulls 1032 watts from the wall while producing 227 MH/s
    all completely reference cards

we are not talking about rx400 and what is funny ?
    you cannot compare rx400 with r500 cause hardware have +0.01v.

I got rx 480 to, i know they are faster ,and your stats are in solo mining for consummation
    let's launch yours rx480 in dual mining to see Watts ...
    with rx570 you can't have so high hashrate with good shares
    even if i cant understand why you choose 580 and i don't know the rx580 for good bios change , but you have to hardcore downvolt in bios directly , cause rx500 series has more voltage in hardware than rx400 , you'd probably got 29~30 Mh/s with good compromise, i get that for :
    - Dual Mining
    .... = ~ 1050 Watt At the wall , for exemple of Dual -> ETH = 216 Mh/s / LBRY 500 Mh/s or Dcr 5400 Mh/s /
    -
    in MSI AB 4.4.0 beta 16 , monitoring ~120w for each GPU (before dag driver fix was to 107)... , voltage showing ~837 mV / Core clock 1075 /Mem Clock 1900
    and best comprimise ... getting close to 27 Mh/s for each GPU , depend of dual mining choice ( never pasc to hard for cards) stable ... sometimes freeze but i got an usb stuff in case of freeze for autoreboot :open_mouth:

• siforeksiforek Member Posts: 3
    First I just wanted to let the OP know watts is how you best calculate usage. 1 KWh is just 1000 watts for an hour, a 1000watt rig would use 24KWh/day. Typically meters show total KWh used.

Second, default/stock & w/o bios mod the 580s usage is quite high, but considering their price I'm considering building a rig with them if I can under volt them enough.

I know a few figures have been made but what's a good wattage expectation for a reasonably overclocked 580?

This: shows 1070s at 160watts, but I've got mine OC''d & power down to 125 with no issues.