Geth removedb vs. sync latest blockchain

dirksterdirkster Member Posts: 8
Is there any argument against removing the local blockchain if machine hasn't synced for a while?

Since it takes days or even weeks to sync the blockchain if a client reconnects after a month or more of inactivity I keep on removing the local blockchain copy (geth removedb). Downloading the total state entries takes currently a few hours compared to sync and process the latest chain segments which again takes forever.

I can't have the machine running evs there any suggestion / recommendation

Comments

• dirksterdirkster Member Posts: 8
    I can't have the machine running every day. Is there any suggestion/recommendation with that practice?
  • danxdanx californiaMember Posts: 143 ✭✭
    My confusion with this question is the fact that you go for a month or more without connecting, I can only assume you are solo mining, in which case you are going a month or more without mining? If that's the case it will take you years to mine even 1 block assuming you don't have a couple nice rigs running. If you did, you wouldn't let them sit idle for a month. So with a standard gaming computer, running even a few days at a time every month, it will take years to mine a block.

So if this is the case, just use a mining pool. You don't have to sync, you get paid for the mining you do, even if you don't mine for a month, you don't lose anything, you can pick up where you left off, and you get paid faster.

Sorry for the late reply, you probably already figured out your issue and resolved it.

noobpool.com A mining pool for everyone, even those who don't have a house full of mining rigs.