R9 295X2 Overclock/Undervolt. Which OS?

Comments

• MacHausMacHaus Posts: 28Member
    Here is another rather old post about three 295x2 and beyond without a solution.

https://setiathome.berkeley.edu/forum_user_posts.php?userid=10392336

The error "Stop Code: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
    What failed: atikmdag.sys" might related to crossfire still activated ("I didn't install the control center so no access/control of Crossfire.") or we have to conclude it is not possible to go more than 2x295x2.

edited June 27
    Then there is Rick's Performance Computing with Pro Duos.

"I finally got all 6 to be recognized! The latest driver 16.12.1 from AMD fixes the issue. I was planning to do a video on it when I have some time."

But a new build causes problems again.

I remember he tried 4x295x2 some while back and might deleted the videos. I sent him a message to ask how that project ended.

Here is some insight from an earlier project with 5 Fury Nanos on driver installation process in the comments. Manual install probably refers to using Device Manager and selecting "Have disk".

"Yes, on both of my AM3+ systems, Crimson will BSOD during install if there are more than 4 GPUs. The way I got 5 to work was to manual install with 4 enabled, then power down and disable one of those 4 and enable the fifth. Manual install and power down. Enable all 5 and power up again. Then cycle power again. Cool thing about Fury is that enable/disable cards is done by unplugging power from the card. It's a bit cludgy. I hope it will work better on x99, so I can finally get all 6 of the GPUs working on my triple ProDuo system. Have you tried this on a platform besides AM3+?"

• David047David047 Posts: 202Member
    edited June 27
    WOW that insane!!! Great finally! I will definitely try that out ASAP. I am dual mining now with 1270 power draw and now 27 mhs on Ethereum and 800mh for DCR. But 17.6 is the latest driver isnt???

Where is the DCR Going how can I monitor it?? I have both coins mining into my ethereum wallet is that right?
    edited June 27
    I think every coin needs a different blockchain and a different wallet. you might just lost those dcr hashes. just google how to dual mine with claymore, there are plenty tutorials out there.

yes, current driver should be ok when it has been fixed back then.

did you check if the mainboard is seeing the cards already? first thing to do i'd guess.
    edited June 27
    no I had no time yet. Ok I might have lost those coins. But in this video:

He is just mining with one wallet thats what confused me so much

This one as well

wtf?!?!?
    Post edited by David047 on
    edited June 27
    OK so in the video they mine ethereum into ther etherwallet and Decra into the worker I think but still my worker on supernover is showing 0 hashrate 0 coins mined...

I hope thats the issue

Yea i will do it now! And i have to plug them in etc
    edited June 27
    Ok I tried it out know again. So if I boot I cant get into bios. If I want to a black bar pops up and blinks:

OR

I get into windows and the middle GPU shuts down:

Wow I almost brick my cards with this shit... Pixels everywhere after that changing pci slots. I will let them chill now on normal clockrates.

How did you manage to get this:

It is a bit voodo. Set mem to 1250 and then change it back to 1050.
    edited June 28
    MacHaus said:

It is a bit voodo. Set mem to 1250 and then change it back to 1050.

My Hashrate dropped significantly after playing around with three cards. I have now 25 to 26 mhs on ethereum doesnt matter how much I reduce decret

OC doesnt matter either -.-
    edited June 28
    Keep the intensity for decret you had. Try in Afterburn to reset (stock clock) than

+0

after some hashes change to

+0

I have to do this after a restart to get the hashrate back up. As I said, Voodoo.
    edited June 28
    These guys are fantastic.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIy6h-7tAFyDXWY-o14zo-A/videos

For an ASUS board:

F7
    Advanced Tab
    • Platform Misc Configuration - Disable all
    • System Agent (SA) Configuration - DMI/OPI Configuration - DMI Max Link Speed - Set to Gen2
    • System Agent (SA) Configuration - PEG Port Configuration - Set all to Gen 2 and leave PCIe Spread Spectrum Clocking to Auto.
    • PCH Configuration - PCI Express Configuration - Set to Gen 2
    Boot Tab
    • Enable 4G Decoding - Enabled

Regarding this last setting there is also the suggestion you should enable this after driver installation.

https://forum.z.cash/t/msi-z270-pro-4g-decoding-enabled-problem/15921/10

"Make sure 4G decoding is OFF
    Install WIndows
    Install AMD or Nvidia drivers
    Turn 4G decoding ON"
    Post edited by MacHaus on
    edited June 28
    MacHaus said:

These guys are fantastic.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIy6h-7tAFyDXWY-o14zo-A/videos

For an ASUS board:

F7
    Advanced Tab

• Platform Misc Configuration - Disable all
    • System Agent (SA) Configuration - DMI/OPI Configuration - DMI Max Link Speed - Set to Gen2
    • System Agent (SA) Configuration - PEG Port Configuration - Set all to Gen 2 and leave PCIe Spread Spectrum Clocking to Auto.
    • PCH Configuration - PCI Express Configuration - Set to Gen 2
    Boot Tab
    • Enable 4G Decoding - Enabled

Regarding this last setting there is also the suggestion you should enable this after driver installation.

https://forum.z.cash/t/msi-z270-pro-4g-decoding-enabled-problem/15921/10

"Make sure 4G decoding is OFF
    Install WIndows
    Install AMD or Nvidia drivers
    Turn 4G decoding ON"
    So that will work with 3 cards???

My 2nd mobo broke again hahaha unbelievable cant boot again nothing no signal. I just unistalled driver, restarted and now it wont boot anymore -.-

Do you know which mobo might work with 3x Dual GPUs?

I have send them back and ordered now the ASUS Prime Z270A
  • misho93misho93 Posts: 25Member
    it stabel
    for 3 day at 31.5 580w
    the fan in back of card this for make the card ran for 24/7 cuz the vram very hoooot so you need this fan if you need use this card also for game
    every MB can work woth 3 r9 295x2 just use 6+ card mod
    misho93 said:

every MB can work woth 3 r9 295x2 just use 6+ card mod

I dont think so I tried everything with the MSI board modded bios doesnt help.
    Hell yea after I purchased the ASUS Prime 270A. I finally got all 6 cards to work with modded Bios, AMD driver 16.12.2 and two

WOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

However my afterburner doesnt want me to change settings:

If I apply the OC rates this happens:

You could try to deactivate the synchronization of MSI Afterburner settings. This also would mean you have to overclock every GPU one by one.

edited July 5
    MacHaus said:

You could try to deactivate the synchronization of MSI Afterburner settings. This also would mean you have to overclock every GPU one by one.

Thx tried that out but didnt help :( I also tried the ASUS tweaker and it doensnt start at all

If I want to open the AMD setting this happens:

My guess is that there are issues because I did not reinstall windows with my new mobo.
    David047 said:

I dont think so I tried everything with the MSI board modded bios doesnt help.

Soon it would have been possible with the MSI board as well it seems.

https://www.overclock3d.net/news/cpu_mainboard/msi_releases_special_bios_files_to_aid_miners_on_intel_motherboards/1

• npittasnpittas Posts: 23Member
    Have you connected a monitor in any of the cards? That fixed my issue with afterburner.
    edited July 8
    npittas said:

Have you connected a monitor in any of the cards? That fixed my issue with afterburner.

Yea I tried that but without any success (no signal). I even tried it with 1 card. Now my system is super unstable again. All the time I get crashes where he cant even boot after some time. Ethminer is giving me superl low hashrates starting at 28 dropping until 20mhs. I did everything exactly the same as before (windows, 16.12.2 driver and claymore. Fuck windows rly

edited July 8
    rmh said:

David047 said:

Ok what is your performance for your R9 295X2? I would be very curious how you overclocked it as I found 0 articles about that.

It's a hawaii gpu, look for articles about hawaii overclocking.
    Very good, but hardcore article: http://www.overclock.net/t/1561372/hawaii-bios-editing-290-290x-295x2-390-390x

Totally forgot that one. Did you other guys flashed your bios on your R9 295s? Maybe thats the problem why my hashrates are so shit. I am having issues understanding that geek language in the link. No idea what he is talking about and how to do it. I saw in videos that people use ati winflash, download the modded bios and flash their cards. For my cards, it sounds like rocket science.

System is stable again 140Mh with 6 cards dualmining decred. 1650 W power draw
    No mining-bios-mod on my cards. I never found a modded 295x2 bios or a tutorial specifically for this card, but I would try it if I got one.

Anyone else having experience? I am good with the tools and flashing in general, but I need a hint where to start.
    edited July 8
    I got a 295x2 plus 2x470 (had 4 but my 2nd 650 PSU couldn't handle them so I am waiting for an 850 replacement).
    I never found a bios mod for the 295 and I tried modding it myself and raising the TDP to 85 but it ended up crashing all the time. So I reverted the bios to default.
    I now have a reservoir plugged to the 295, just to be able to see if the pumps are working but with no real improvement to the temps, still hitting 74-75 and throttling to as low as 880 for the cores making from 31Mhs to as low as 27.5Mhs
    I tried using a fan blowing directly to the VRMs, but nothing happened, I tried the reverse, with the fan getting the temp away from the VRMs, still nothing positive. I bought a couple of SP120 and use them as Push/Pull for the radiator, still no effect on the temps.
    So I ended up using my AC unit to blow directly to the rig, and that has lower the temps from 68 in the night to 72-73 midday.
    Only thing I haven't done yet, is to change the VRM thermal Pads. I have the thermal paste ready but I did not had the time to change them, since I need to bring the rig to a stop and it is hashing so nicely for the last 6 days and I do not want to stop it unless I really need to.

In short, New thermal paste on the GPU blocks, Bios mod, radiator fans to Push/Pull at full speed, Reservoir with new coolant and fan directly attached to the VRMs have no significant effect to the throttling problem. A fucking AC blowing cool air was the only thing that works for now.

I have Sapphire and XFX 295x2 tested with all of the above, and I have them right here in front of me, and I have tested them all. I will use them on a separate rig for a friend next week so if any problems arise (I dont think so cause I will be using 2 different boards with 4 PSUs) I will come back and report.

Nick out
    edited July 10
    @npittas thanks for that! temps really are an issue on stock cooler. if even push-pull configuration for the radiator fan do not have an effect the GPU really has too much power to move it away efficiently.

therefore undervolting helps a lot. as you can see above I can go as far as -100mv in AB while decent overclock the GPU and underclock the memory (sounds like a contradiction for ETH, better timings I guess). this will reduce power and therefore temps a lot. also make sure to leave the power target at 0 or you are pumping again more power into the card = higher temps.

not dual mining reduces temps a lot as well. if you have to pay for the power of the AC blowing at the card the extra DCR or SIA might not cover the additional watts you use? at least during the warmer period.

@David047 hope your adapter will get AB working. if it does not you still can undervolt the cards via bios. as the 295x2 has a bios switch you are save to mod one of them and keep the other on for safety. just be aware that you need to do it for both GPUs on the board and don't mix the two while flashing because there is one master and one slave bios and they need to stay the same order I guess. Here is a step-by-step how to. Skip everything for the beginning and just try the volts. As AB shows an offset, not an actual voltage, it should work as described in this guide under "VOLTAGE OFFSET MODE IS TOTES GOOD TO GO":
    https://www.reddit.com/r/AMDHelp/comments/5q1b2a/290x390x_hawaii_bios_modding_streamlined_as_it/

EDIT: There are no offset available in the HawaiiBiosReader for this bios as far as I can see. So you would need to effectively change the volts in the table which is a bit more work. But looking at the HawaiiBiosReader you could change the fan speed to 100% (VRM Fan I guess) to get temps down. For the fan at the radiator just unplug from the card and plug it into any fan header on your motherboard and use AI Suite (Asus) to crank this one to 100% as well.
    Post edited by MacHaus on
    edited July 10
    And that is excactly what I did with my MSI z270-A Pro last night.
    Got the MSI control Center, plugged the SP120s directly to the motherboard and cranked them up to 100. Now the card is running with 1100 GPU and 1350 Memory at 31Mhs per GPU, at 71 Max midday.
    Now I have to find a way to auto set the speed of the fans, whenever the rig is rebooting...
    No need for the AC anymore!!