Why should I buy ether?

InvestorInvestor Member Posts: 7
I am impressed with the concept of etherium, however I can't figure out why I should buy it. I am not a programmer, If I buy 2000 ethers I can't resell it because the next buyer won't know if I held onto the wallet and used it. If I can't sell it and the value is going from 1 BTC for 2000 ethers to 1 BTC for 1300 ethers then what have I gained. I guess I don't know why I should spend 10000 dollars for some ethers. How would I get my money back?

Best Answer

Answers

• maidenlakemaidenlake Member Posts: 44 ✭✭
    One reason might be that you see the world-changing potential ethereum has and you want to support it / be a part of it and hopefully (but not definitely) benefit financially in the process. Also, there is the potential of those with ethers joining with developers on a project. Andrew suggested this and then avsa referred to it as The Ether Venture Capital Fund here: https://forum.ethereum.org/discussion/comment/5552/#Comment_5552
    There are probably other reasons to invest as well. Hope this helps with your decision.
  • BittBurgerBittBurger Member Posts: 7
    edited August 2014
    Investor said:

I can't sell it and the value is going from 1 BTC for 2000 ethers to 1 BTC for 1300 ethers then what have I gained.

Well you gained a 70% increase in value right there. Without doing a thing.

Can someone explain to me what the OP means: I cant sell it because the next buyer wont know if i held onto the wallet and used it" ? Seems to me like there'd be a way to verify funds on an address...
  • Wil611Wil611 Member Posts: 77 ✭✭
    @BittBurger I think he means that if he sold before the actual genesis launch then there is a chance that he could be first to move the ether from the existing address to a new address before the person he sold them to. The ether won't be created in the blockchain until winter 2014/2015 at the earliest yet people are already looking to trade/sell their "ether IOUs" .
  • InvestorInvestor Member Posts: 7
    My thoughts are, I agree to sell my entire ether wallet to BUYER A and send BUYER A my wallet with password. I then sell the entire ether wallet to BUYER B and send BUYER B my wallet with password and then I do the same with BUYER C. Will this situation change in winter 2014/2015? I want to buy some ether, but I don't want to be left holding ether with no personal gain and the inability to sell it.