No Video Signal

wege12wege12 USAPosts: 57
I just built a mining rig from GPUshack and I am unable to get a video signal. The fans spin up so it's being powered but I've tried swapping the ram, switch PCIE ports, and switching GPUs. Nothing seems to fix this issue. Everything is brand new except the GPUs but I know they work as I have tried them in a different rig.

Any idea what the issue might be?

Comments

• wege12wege12 USAPosts: 57
  • tedytedy Posts: 20
    edited May 18
    Start by removing the gpu's.
    If your cpu has an integrated graphics try running on it. If not install a single gpu that you know it certainly works.
    If the pc boots that's a good sign.
    If not try clearing the cmos by removing the battery and interrupting the power.
    Turn it on again.
    If it still doesn.t boot remove all the ram sticks and try them one by one. This is usually the cause.
    If it.s not. Then all i can think of is a faulty motherboard or maybe the psu can't deliver enough power.

If you manage to start the pc. Then add gpu's 1 by 1 untill you find the problem. Be it a faulty gpu, bad riser or cables.
    I don't know if my CPU has integrated graphics but my motherboard doesn't have any video ports to test onboard graphics. I have used several GPUs, two different power supplies, I've tried different risers and plugging the gpu directly into the Mobo, and removing the cmos battery. Nothing seems to work on it. All the fans spin but no video.

I'll likely have to do an RMA but I'm worried the same issue will arise.
    From what you say i understand that you changed everything but the mobo.
    Sometimes they are broken. You can RMA it and buy another. If the problem is the mobo then this issue shouldn't happen again.
    Atleast this is my opinion.

Ps1: If it's a intel cpu chances are in favor of having integrated gpu.

Ps2: the gpu's have 6 or 8 pin power connector ? Sometimes they have protection and if you plug a 6 pin in an 8pin socket the gpu might not start.
    edited May 19
    I have this issue with two separate motherboards, both same exact model. Super frustrating that they sent me boards without onboard graphics though.

I sent GPUShack an email tonight explaining my issue. We'll see what they say. Hopefully this will get resolved soon.

If you have any more ideas, please let me know. Thanks
  • JawboneJawbone Posts: 43
    Make sure you're using the first x16 slot (even if you have gen1 setting so they're all x1 speed) otherwise I'm stumped too. I'm surprised your mobo doesn't have integrated graphics, but some don't. The first x16 slot is your ticket though. Are you using a powered riser? I would try plugging card directly onto mobo to eliminate possibly bad riser (unless you have a proven working one) and make sure everything works before proceeding on with testing, like @tedy said.

Also try clearing CMOS.
    Jawbone said:

Make sure you're using the first x16 slot (even if you have gen1 setting so they're all x1 speed) otherwise I'm stumped too. I'm surprised your mobo doesn't have integrated graphics, but some don't. The first x16 slot is your ticket though. Are you using a powered riser? I would try plugging card directly onto mobo to eliminate possibly bad riser (unless you have a proven working one) and make sure everything works before proceeding on with testing, like @tedy said.

Also try clearing CMOS.

Thanks for the suggestions, however I have tried all the gpu slots, both with and without riser. I have also tried clearing the CMOS by taking the battery out for five minutes while the power supply was unplugged. No luck.
    What mobo do you have ?
    I figured it out, the hardrives had failed. I flashed ethos to a flash drive and it works perfectly now.