Windows 10 autoupdate screw up?

AkromaAkroma Member Posts: 81
edited May 17 in Mining
Hello guys, i assume others have the same problem at this moment.

since yesterday Windows 10 keeps instaling the latest amd driver, and it gives the no opengl or cuda hardware installed etc.

using ddu or another clean utility and reinstalling the driver of ur preference (i use 16.9.2) solves the problem, and u mine again, but in less than 1 hour, win 10 autoupdates again.



i have device instalation settings on no under advanced system settings, hardware, device instalation settings. but still do the update.


anyone else is having this problem?

is there any solution?

thanks guys :(

PS: ive been mining before with no problems until this update. it was yesterday/today that it all started. thanks again

Comments

  • SunyataSunyata Member Posts: 32
    I've experienced something similar. Yes. Seemed to me that my amd driver magically uninstalled. Miner quit mining, but did not shut down or crash. When I went to start Claymore it said there were no AMD gpus! I reinstalled the driver seems to be fine.
  • Dave2kDave2k Member Posts: 46
  • Techman34Techman34 Member Posts: 388 ✭✭✭
    @Dave2k my version of Win 10 is home and I didn't seem to have the same capabilities for that group policy edit. Can't make any guarantees of course, but wanted to share this as the Fix for me was to rollback the last Windows Update in my history and then reinstall my drivers.

    First search "Update History" in your windows search back - click the link for Update History

    Then click "Uninstall updates" up at the top and then look for the recent update that ends in "KB3150513" that most likely was recently installed on your system (look at the date), select it and then click "Uninstall" and "Yes".

    From there reinstall your AMD drivers (use AMD clean uninstall utility prior to reloading your drivers) and you should be good.

    P.S. thanks Windows for being a major PITA - as soon as I have the time I'm going to play with EthOS.
  • AkromaAkroma Member Posts: 81
    @Dave2k thank you very much for the info. ill try that in a few minutes.

    @Techman34 thanks for sharing that method. lol i agree, thats why i selected Windows screwing us as a title haha.

    @Sunyata yes, i did the same, but after every try it would install again the new driver. ill try the other methods suggested.

    thanks guys :)
  • SmbdFrmSmwhrSmbdFrmSmwhr Member Posts: 22
    edited May 18
    @Techman34 thanks for your method. Do you know how to prevent that windows update installation?
    After first time my rig stopped mining due to this auto update I removed AMD drivers using DDU, then reinstalled them. I also disabled windows updates (run - services.msc - stop Windows Update Center service).
    It worked fine, but at night it happened again.
    Post edited by SmbdFrmSmwhr on
  • JawboneJawbone Member Posts: 44
    Hi @akroma!

    I have had similar issues with win10 updates. Group policy edit worked flawlessly for me and my miner has been on stable constant uptime for two weeks now! There's also a way to use the registry to accomplish the same thing - which is to disable auto updates for Windows.

    I'm on mobile and falling asleep, if you can't find it on the google, let me know I'll link you to it tomorrow. I have got a tutorial on it saved.
  • AkromaAkroma Member Posts: 81
    @Jawbone thank you very much :)

    ill try in a few minutes, its a long story involving me not having a monitor right now with hdmi, so i have to coonect via team viewer, and something is happening that it wont connect easily.

    my hdmi cable friend one card and my tv monitor, idk what happened :( trying to fix that .(

    thanks again :)
  • AkromaAkroma Member Posts: 81
    @Jawbone sorry to bother you again :( i have one question

    i have 2 of rx 480 4gb gigabyte g1, and 2 of msi reference rx 480 4gb.

    when i check my hardwares id, it has 2 of each (i guess because they are the same model, would have the same id)

    so when i paste the id, i should put 2 of each? or only one of each model?


    also i put it continued one below the other? or leave one space as if it was a paragraph?

    as all guides on google focus on people with only 1 video card :D not multiple :(

    thanks :)
  • IiaoIiao Member Posts: 33
    Had the same problem, a real pain, I take it this window update knocked out all AMD graphics cards machines on WIN 10 not just miners?
  • kekekekekekekeke Member Posts: 61
    Had the same problem. Checked my miner right before bed to see it wasn't running. Super pissed off, spent over an hour fixing it on a work night. I had auto-update turned off, but looks like Microsoft still shadow patches things, in this case, it screwed up AMD card detection. It's going to be a long day at work today with the missed sleep.
  • ShatzShatz Member Posts: 9
    Hit me with the same problem.. having a hell of a time getting it going again.. cant get the cards to see the drivers or windows to see the cards correctly...
  • kekekekekekekeke Member Posts: 61
    edited May 18
    @Shatz I did exactly what Techman34 said. Uninstall the windows update, use DDU to remove drivers, reinstall display driver. I disabled windows update with group edit policy, hopefully it works.

    EDIT: did a quick Google search and it looks like this has happened in the past before too. Windows update screws AMD display drivers. Here's an interesting article on the patch: infoworld.com/article/3182744/microsoft-windows/mystery-update-kb-3150513-makes-yet-another-reappearance.html
    Post edited by kekekeke on
  • ShatzShatz Member Posts: 9
    edited May 18
    @kekekeke Welp, got it running. could not get it working, so I reflashed the rx470s to the Original bios, and windows recognized them... I'm mining again, but with about -5mh/s lost per each card..

    its a start I guess.

    EDIT: apparently windows REINSTALLED the update again, after I uninstalled it once... I'm guessing that the new update won't recognize the cards with modified bios..
    Post edited by Shatz on
  • kekekekekekekeke Member Posts: 61
    edited May 18
    @Shatz that's very unfortunate. I was able to get mine detected with flashed bios. Did you try disabling windows update through group policy editor?

    Edit: What AMD driver version are you using? I believe the 17.X.X drivers won't detect flashed bios so you have to make sure to install 16.11.5(that's what I use).
    Post edited by kekekeke on
  • Jo3LJo3L Member Posts: 34
    I tried everything but nothing happens... so sad
  • SmbdFrmSmwhrSmbdFrmSmwhr Member Posts: 22
    edited May 19
    kekekeke said:

    @Shatz I did exactly what Techman34 said. Uninstall the windows update, use DDU to remove drivers, reinstall display driver. I disabled windows update with group edit policy, hopefully it works.

    That helped me, too. I did it yesterday morning and rig has been working well so far

    Post edited by SmbdFrmSmwhr on
  • lablettlablett Member Posts: 209 ✭✭
    Thanks everyone for the tips and here are steps I followed as I have a modded bios:-

    1. Disabled updates
    a. Run gpedit.msc
    b. go to /Computer Configuration/Adminstrative Templates/Windows Components/Windows Update
    c. Double click on 'Configure Automatic Updates and set to disabled.
    2. Now go to control panel and and click on "Programs and Features'
    3. Select 'View installed updates'
    4. Uninstall 'KB3150513'
    5. Run DDU and reboot
    6. Install appropriate drivers and reboot
    7. If you have a modded bios then install 'AMD/ATI Pixel Clock Patcher'
    8. Reboot.

    Please note once this issue has been fixed my MS then remember to enabled updates!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Hytech2kHytech2k Member Posts: 130 ✭✭
    edited May 20
    lablett said:


    Please note once this issue has been fixed my MS then remember to enabled updates!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    This might seem like a noob question, but why? These are miners, at least in my case. I don't use any of my personal PC's to mine so, if it's just a miner and nothing important is stored on it, and it's working fine, why fix something that isn't broke. Or give those fools at Microshit the opportunity to screw it up again..

    Personally I have all updates blocked, if a problem arises, i'll choose how to deal with it, not MS at 2am.

    :) Just my opinion.

    Hytech2k
  • lablettlablett Member Posts: 209 ✭✭
    Hytech2k said:

    lablett said:


    Please note once this issue has been fixed my MS then remember to enabled updates!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    This might seem like a noob question, but why? These are miners, at least in my case. I don't use any of my personal PC's to mine so, if it's just a miner and nothing important is stored on it, and it's working fine, why fix something that isn't broke. Or give those fools at Microshit the opportunity to screw it up again..

    Personally I have all updates blocked, if a problem arises, i'll choose how to deal with it, not MS at 2am.

    :) Just my opinion.

    Hytech2k
    I agree with what you say but I wanted to help those who do understand the risks of not enabling updates. There is a small chance that in one year a non-update MS Windows 10 machine forms part of DDOS attack on North Korea ;-) Or your mining rig/s are used to attack your home network. I was just worried that some people who mine might not be as experienced as you and me ;-)
  • Hytech2kHytech2k Member Posts: 130 ✭✭
    lablett said:

    Hytech2k said:

    lablett said:


    Please note once this issue has been fixed my MS then remember to enabled updates!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    This might seem like a noob question, but why? These are miners, at least in my case. I don't use any of my personal PC's to mine so, if it's just a miner and nothing important is stored on it, and it's working fine, why fix something that isn't broke. Or give those fools at Microshit the opportunity to screw it up again..

    Personally I have all updates blocked, if a problem arises, i'll choose how to deal with it, not MS at 2am.

    :) Just my opinion.

    Hytech2k
    I agree with what you say but I wanted to help those who do understand the risks of not enabling updates. There is a small chance that in one year a non-update MS Windows 10 machine forms part of DDOS attack on North Korea ;-) Or your mining rig/s are used to attack your home network. I was just worried that some people who mine might not be as experienced as you and me ;-)
    Good point, updates can be a a good thing in certain cases...

    Thanks

    Hytech2k
  • MrN1ce9uyMrN1ce9uy Member Posts: 158 ✭✭
    So I am using Win10 Home and used the regedit method to notify of updates instead of auto install. It did not work. Should I reinstall using Win10 Pro and use the gpedit method?
  • Hytech2kHytech2k Member Posts: 130 ✭✭
    MrN1ce9uy said:

    So I am using Win10 Home and used the regedit method to notify of updates instead of auto install. It did not work. Should I reinstall using Win10 Pro and use the gpedit method?

    You can also go into the "control panel" and disable the update service from there. Follow the link below. I personally did the gpedit method and this method (http://www.thewindowsclub.com/turn-off-windows-update-in-windows-10) ... But i'm sure MS will figure out a way to circumvent that eventually, so I went back to Win 8.1 Pro, less headache and seems more stable to boot...

    Hope this helps..

    Hytech2k

  • ShatzShatz Member Posts: 9
    Thanks All! @lablett @kekekeke @Hytech2k

    followed everyone's advice, got my 5 msi rx470s back to around 26.1 mh/s ea and stable... windows updates are off for now.. driver is the 16.11.5...

    i am living proof someone who has no background in this field, can pull things together!! lol

    happy hashing!


  • Jo3LJo3L Member Posts: 34
    edited May 22
    Just one question, do the "AMD/ATI Pixel Clock Patcher" increase hashrate? I mean, if I don't have installed, would I have less hashrate?
    Post edited by Jo3L on
  • Hytech2kHytech2k Member Posts: 130 ✭✭
    Jo3L said:

    Just one question, do the "AMD/ATI Pixel Clock Patcher" increase hashrate? I mean, if I don't have installed, would I have less hashrate?

    No, it just signs the driver files when you run a modded bios... Doesn't have any effect on hash rate at all..

    Hytech2k
  • darren1979darren1979 CyberjayaMember Posts: 5
    Hi guys, i have the issue for claymore miner to connect to internet after the latest windows 10 updates.. Before the updates, everything is ok (i am using WIFI adapter) . The reason why i do window latest updates is to get my new gpu gtx1070 to be installed..
    Has anyone face the similar issue?
  • danny1danny1 Member Posts: 42
    edited August 2
    win10 auto updates are a hot topic
    Post edited by danny1 on
  • AkromaAkroma Member Posts: 81
    @darren1979 ive had a lot of problems with wifi. is not update related. it will fail in time. i now just use wired conections and gg :)

    try it and it will fix the problem.

    good luck
  • darren1979darren1979 CyberjayaMember Posts: 5
    Hi @Akroma , yes is nothing to do with windows 10 update...

    I have just found that is the wifi adapter problem.
    After I switch to another new wifi adapter, its works perfectly.. LOL....

    thx guys!
Sign In or Register to comment.