Which to learn, Serpent, Mutan or LLL?

LinaVLinaV Member Posts: 4
I would like to learn to write Ethereum smart contracts, but I'm not sure what language to learn it in.

I do a bit of web development and so I know some PHP and JavaScript, but I've never written much code and I don't know Python, Go or LISP.

I'm leaning towards Serpent, but I seem to be finding more learning resource for Mutan and LLL.

Why would I choose one of these languages over the others??

Thanks!
Lina

Comments

• cphicphi Member Posts: 46
    @vaX Well said. Or not. I have no idea what any of that means.
  • robmyersrobmyers Member Posts: 65 ✭✭✭
    lll is the easiest to debug at the moment IMO.

Serpent is the most readable.

Mutan has functional and type coolness.

I'd recommend lll as it has the most examples (DOUG/PRODOUG/Eris), or failing that Serpent as its syntax is the easiest.
  • StephanTualStephanTual London, EnglandMember, Moderator Posts: 1,282 mod
    vaX said:

(+ (*pro (+ (+gram ming) (+lang u age))) (+ (-s z) 0))

Somebody's been writing some LLL :)
  • KenKen Member Posts: 10
    edited August 2014
    Vax is right of course. There are great similarities; and in the end, understanding more than one language is really inevitable. But - for guidance on where to start... from the languages posted as familiar, I would think that one of the languages other than LLL might be the best bet. I really like Lisp - and I plan on writing more contracts in LLL - I also plan on learning some Clojure (which is a newer Lisp or Lisp-like functional programming language that interfaces nicely with Java. However, the structure of a LISP-like statement is quite different than other languages. This might put someone off, unless they already grok lots of interesting single parens (note: I did not say irritating)
    If you noticed that I missed a closing paren above - then, you might be a natural Lisp-ian (not to be confused with a Less-pian, which has to do with CSS processing). If you have no idea what I'm talking about, then stick with serpent. In the world of lisp - smiley faces tend to introduce errors.
    ;)
    and always remember to seek balance, but never forget that just because things appear balanced does not mean that there is nothing wrong.

-KKKKKKKen