Ethereum blockchain update

Hi,

I have downloaded the latest version of the Ethereum Wallet and need to update the blockchain data.

But it takes forever... I gain about 4k Blocks a day, with 830.000+ still missing. Network speed is 40Mbit+ and usually connected with 10+ peers.

Is there any way to get the blockchain faster?

Comments

• NeunMalSechsNeunMalSechs Posts: 6Member
    Thanks for helping with this question. Not.

Situation is getting worse:

Even if I keep the wallet running, Blocks are currently faster created then downloaded. The wallet also slows down other applications significantly.

If no one cares to help, I will have to assume, that Ethereum is completely unusable for private and small business purposes and also for any IoT applications.
  • o0ragman0oo0ragman0o Posts: 1,237Member, Moderator mod
    The Ethereum Wallet uses Geth as its node. If there is no existing chain data then Geth will do a fast sync, however if the wallet is closed before it has sync'd, it must then carry on with a normal sync the next time it's opened.

The biggest contributor to slow speeds is using a HDD instead of an SSD. The IO of an HDD can be easily swamped by sync'ing and cause performance degradation across the whole system
  • NeunMalSechsNeunMalSechs Posts: 6Member
    edited June 1

The Ethereum Wallet uses Geth as its node. If there is no existing chain data then Geth will do a fast sync, however if the wallet is closed before it has sync'd, it must then carry on with a normal sync the next time it's opened.

The biggest contributor to slow speeds is using a HDD instead of an SSD. The IO of an HDD can be easily swamped by sync'ing and cause performance degradation across the whole system

Thank you for the information.

I would consider it a bug / bad system design.

Is there any way to download the blockchain elsewere or any other solution then reinstalling my complete PC?

Even with fast sync, >3mio blocks will probably take days / weeks to sync on my HDD. Could I move the blockchain data to an SSD? At the moment it seems to hard coded to my system disc.