Problem with Asus AMD Radeon RX 480 Dual Overclocked 8 GB GDDR5-RAM

outbreak198xoutbreak198x Member Posts: 14
Hello,

i tried to mine with thoase cards... - but - from 1 to 5 cards, always getting BSODs one after one, so i tried do slow down speed to 1200MHz core
So default settings not working, and slowed speed not working and so on.

The cards are on powered Risers and on Asrock F2A88X Pro3+ Board

Tried same with 5x XFX RX 480 XXX 8GB - working great.

Any ideas where i can start?

Comments

• outbreak198xoutbreak198x Member Posts: 14
    ah yeah, tried with 16.6.2 with some of 17 with some other 16...
    Now i tried just for fun Another board GA FM2A88X-D3HP...
    and when i connect a card (withour riser) - just one f***ng card.... - it don't boot up? with internal Graphics everything fine... so this should be a normal setup...
    not working with XFX, or the Dual OC...

i just took those boards, because in forum and the cryotomining site they are shown as supported with 5 cards...

this makes me angry...
  • QuantraQuantra Member Posts: 22
    Hi I have 2 of these ASUS cards working, they aren't the best but they do work. 16.10.3 or 16.11.5 drivers work for me. 16.10.3 runs a little cooler.

Mine ran OK but not entirely stable at stock settings, much better after BIOS mod so try that. Also I think the VRM is poor or not cooled well, check these temps in HWiNFO64 incase that's the problem.
    Today i modded the XFX on the Asrock Mainboard - seems that i found stable settings now, have to check some days :) 4x XFX - getting a little bit over 120MH/s - Wallet 700-730Watt. Cards 100-125Watt - i'm just a little bit confused, that the difference of same cards are so high - 60-80 degrees and Powerlimit -5 to +8%... something strange, but OK. If it's stable i'm happy with this result, and hope when i add the 5th card it won't be a problem (Raisers missing).

I think the Dual Card will take lower power... - i've to check

my other problem is still the Gigabyte Board i even can not install windows with a plugged in PCIe Card (just one) :D - nothing possible, maybe board is faulty - try to check with another one.
    Great you have the XFX working =]

How are you overclocking? I found using powlim in claymore was hotter and less stable than using WattTool to underclock.

I got some advise and posted some results in this thread here, maybe it will help: https://forum.ethereum.org/discussion/11655/1st-rig-unstable-please-help
    i think i read 90% off the posts depending to my cards... i'm not overclocking ;) i'm underclocking.

i think 1180Core / 2120 mem is a stable config for me now with 1000mV Mem, Core i think too, maybe lower.
    and do this directly in modded bios, and look on it with Afterburner

but.. - the Asus Dual Cards won't do so - when try to mine after 2 seconds thats it. BSOD, and i set same settings like in XFX now, so it's good underclock (stock should be 1308 or something on boost) and 2000mem.

don't know, i've to try one by one i think, maybe a card is faulty.

and still, the Gigabyte won't do with XFX or Dual... - maybe faulty too? - i don'T think so, all devices are new.
    Another thought. Did you modify the memory straps in the bios? If I used 1500 straps this would BSOD after 2 seconds for me.

If you think it is a problem with the cards perhaps it's an idea to revert to stock bios/settings and run a gpu stress test like furmark, one card at a time. If it can't do this without crashing send them back.
    Everytime i'm testing first with stock settings, and also that is not working, after that i tried to clock down. - now i'm trying one by one... we will see
    could this really be real... 2 Cards working 2 cards not... - same BIOS now, same Settings, everything the same... thumb down
  • drizzt_do_urdendrizzt_do_urden Member Posts: 181 ✭✭
    did you check the memory type on those cards? if they have micron memory then you are f..... and 1500 mod doesn't work on 480 8GB cards just the 1750!
    ahm... i even can not mine in stock settings...

2x Asus Dual 2x XFX now running some hours OK with 117MH/s - let it run over night... for testing

but the other 2x Asus Dual nothing possible. - i've done 3DMark now, success, everything fine.
    Run BurinInTest - Success everything fine.

start ZEC Mining - 30Sek. Error. - Reboot or just Empty Blue Screen
    start ETH Mining - 30Sek. Error. - Reboot or just Empty Blue Screen

There is no Problem with Memory Type - because 2 of them are running very smoothy :)

I can not just send it back and say, hey i can not mine with it, playing games won't be a problem...? I think they will come back same like now.. - but i'll give my best.

now running 5x XFX stable at 147 MH/s - little bit less 800Watt on wall

1x XFX and 2x Asus Dual are really faulty.. bad luck... sent them back
  • trevgranttrevgrant Member Posts: 16
    I have the Asus Dual and they are awful........I really need to send them all back. I've tried so many options and they still are not stable. Can anyone offer stable setting for Asus RX480 Dual??
    trevgrant said:

I have the Asus Dual and they are awful........I really need to send them all back. I've tried so many options and they still are not stable. Can anyone offer stable setting for Asus RX480 Dual??

I have 2 with 8gb samsung memory running for over 100 hours. Agree they are crappy and taken long time to make them this stable.

Mod bios and copy 1750 strap to 2000. Then over/underclock in WattTool

GPU0
    GPU P7 1125MHz 960mV
    Memory P1 2070MHz 960mV
    28.5MH/s @ 80W (GPU-Z)

GPU1
    GPU P7 1250MHz 960mV
    Memory P1 2020MHz 960mV
    28.1MH/s @ 81.6W (GPU-Z)

Target temp for both is 70C

Using latest claymore dual, mining in eth only mode.

Use 16.10.3 crimson driver, this is the coolest and most stable one I've tried.

I used to be able to run a much lower GPU clock on GPU1 but one day the MH/s just dropped without changing any settings and I had to up it to get back to the same speed.
  • cidmocidmo Member Posts: 332 ✭✭
    yea these GA FM2A88X-D3HP....
    such a headache has 2 bios chips im pretty sure theres nothing on the 2nd chip at all
    did same thing as u on 2 mobos both wouldnt boot after trying to do just crossfire
    tried bypassing the 1st bios chips at the pins and still just cycles in bios recovery without actually recovering
    just stop trying with amd after that
    well after spending 2 days emailing some tech support guy who obviously had no idea ppl want to actually use all pci-e slots on a mobo sometimes
  • trevgranttrevgrant Member Posts: 16
    Quantra said:

trevgrant said:

I have 2 with 8gb samsung memory running for over 100 hours. Agree they are crappy and taken long time to make them this stable.

Mod bios and copy 1750 strap to 2000. Then over/underclock in WattTool

GPU0
    GPU P7 1125MHz 960mV
    Memory P1 2070MHz 960mV
    28.5MH/s @ 80W (GPU-Z)

GPU1
    GPU P7 1250MHz 960mV
    Memory P1 2020MHz 960mV
    28.1MH/s @ 81.6W (GPU-Z)

Target temp for both is 70C

Using latest claymore dual, mining in eth only mode.

Use 16.10.3 crimson driver, this is the coolest and most stable one I've tried.

I used to be able to run a much lower GPU clock on GPU1 but one day the MH/s just dropped without changing any settings and I had to up it to get back to the same speed.
    Thanks I'll give that a blast. I have managed to get the cards running by switching to EthOS but they are only getting 23MH/s each
  • Jo3LJo3L Member Posts: 34
    @Quantra this would work with 4gb too?
    Jo3L said:

@Quantra this would work with 4gb too?

I'm not sure but from what I have read it should be similar but you can also try copying the 1500 strap instead of 1750 (try both) and then the over/underclocking values in WattTool should be similar.

Give both straps a try, it was quite obvious for me which strap worked best as the others would either cause hashrate to fluctuate a lot or BSOD after a few seconds/minutes mining. Don't over/underclock until you have done this.
    i think my board was physically damaged, but no problem, sent boards and cards back, get some new one.

and 2 of the asus dual working great, so the other are faulty... and 1 xfx too :)

now running 10 XFX - great working with both asrock board and gigabyte... 295MH/s everything OK.
  • karlrobertskarlroberts Member Posts: 8
    hi could someone please help me i have 6 asus radeon Strix RX480 8Gb OC cards and i need a custom bios for them
    so write your custom rom, i found out that nearly all cards are different... so it need some days to find the stable config...