Help with issues getting 6th GPU to work

techninetechnine Member Posts: 4
I have been running this rig for a few months now, no matter what I try I cannot get it to run 6 cards properly. Cards are Powercolor Red Devil RX480's with Boysie's 31MH Bios. Initially all 6 cards would run but one would consistently fluctuate all over the place with regards to GPU clock rate. It wasn't thermal throttling and it wasn't the overclock (it happened even with the stock BIOS). I figured it was that card so I sent it off to Powercolor under RMA. While the rig was running with 5 cards it was rock solid, ran for 3 weeks straight without me having to touch it once. After I got the RMA back from Powercolor I put the new card in and everything went back to the same fluctuating GPU clock on one card, boot issues, crashing as soon as I launch claymores if I can get it to boot, as well as sometimes windows only recognizing 4 or 5 cards. If i unplug one card (doesn't matter which one) everything goes back to normal, super stable.

I purchased a new Riser thinking that might be the issue, problems continue. I reinstalled windows, same issue. Tried current drivers as well as 16.11.5 no fix. I tried setting PCIe to Gen 1 in BIOS but issues persist. I'm running out of possibilities and figured I would come to you guys for help.

Board ASROCK H81 Pro BTC
PSU 1300W EVGA Supernova
8GB RAM
128GB SSD
Windows 10

Comments

• a1ex772a1ex772 Member Posts: 3
    I'm a beginner miner and I have a similar problem, I can only get one GPU to be recognized by my Asrock H81 Pro BTC, I have 6 Sappire Nitro + Radeon 480x 8gb graphic cards and I'm stuck on how to utilize them all...? Is there something I have to tinker with in the BOOT menu or BIOS to get my motherboard to recognize all six of my graphics cards at the same time? I have each GPU plugged in by PCI Express via usb 3.0 with two 80plus gold EVGA 850W PSU's powering the Mining Rig. If anybody has any helpful tips or suggestions I would greatly appreciate it.
  • tinrooftinroof Member Posts: 26
    Try 6GPU patch. may search this forum to find.
    I tryed downloading the 6GPU patch and running it but still no success.... I downloaded DDU and resinstalled all my drivers so they where up to date on amd website and still no success. I'm stuck now...I went into device manager and saw that it is giving me (code 43) error. I have 4 GPU's ready to mine, just slot 5&6 are not reading, apparently this is a common problem with this motherboard anymore advice.....?
  • rocksodrrocksodr Member Posts: 15
    edited April 17
    Same problem as you Alex....
    My 6x MSI 470 and h81 pro BTC r2.0 won't run more than 4 gpu, sometimes 5 but one will only hash 0MH/s... Windows 10 pro. Afterburner installed.
    I tried everything, 6 patch, different drivers, putting cards one by one, plugging in the extra molex on the motherboard. All I get with 5 or 6 cards is BSOD and random card recognition (sometime device manager doesn't find my last card). When I apply 6patch it won't boot on 17.4 drivers. Tried 16.8.2 with no success too.
    Only thing I didn't try is use my Corsair gold 1200w psu molex directly on riser instead of sata to molex connectors.

Anyone can help out ? Thanks
  • SentinelSentinel Member Posts: 3
    You can try setting up virtual memory to 16 GBs
    edited April 18
    I have it set at 20gb ( ur talking about pagefile right ?)
    Would reinstalling Windows with all cards plugged help ? Because im feeling this is a mobo or gfx driver issue.
    Post edited by rocksodr on
    @rocksodr My problem was solved!! I was running windows 7 home premium with 6 gpus and apparently it can only run 5 a little buggy! So I did a free upgrade to windows 10 and restored my whole computer to all orginal settings and started over again. Redownloaded the 6gpu patch and now all six of my gpu's are up and running! Now I'm having a problem trying to flash the bios with atiwinflash....:/!! I keep getting an error message (cannot detect discrett ati video card)? Anybody have any suggestions on this?
  • narba88narba88 Member Posts: 85
    a1ex772 said:

@rocksodr My problem was solved!! I was running windows 7 home premium with 6 gpus and apparently it can only run 5 a little buggy! So I did a free upgrade to windows 10 and restored my whole computer to all orginal settings and started over again. Redownloaded the 6gpu patch and now all six of my gpu's are up and running! Now I'm having a problem trying to flash the bios with atiwinflash....:/!! I keep getting an error message (cannot detect discrett ati video card)? Anybody have any suggestions on this?

I am EXTREMELY CURIOUS about this. I never got past it but I use another system for flashing as a work around.

a1ex772 said:

Hey, I am sadly already using windows 10 pro and having the same issue (tho my windows install is not activated, but I doubt that's whats preventing it to work as intended). I will try your solution tomorrow by reinstalling windows 10, can you tell me if you are using home or pro edition ?
    Did you install windows with all 6 cards plugged in ? And what version of catalyst driver are you using ? thanks
    Thanks

For the flashing issue, I have read it is recommended to flash only one card at a time plugged into the motherboard directly.
    Anyone had any progress with H81 BTC and MSI RX470 x6 ?
    I can only get 5 to work max, with the sixth one it crashes, tried swapping risers and cards, same issue.