Trying to import json backup

A couple of years ago I became quite interested in Bitcoin, and bought a small amount. And it was through this that I heard about Ethereum and joined the pre-sale with a very small amount as a bit of a punt. I received a backup json file and was told I'd receive something a few months later. I don't recall receiving anything (it may have gone into my spam folder) but had the backup file stored safely so I never really thought much more about it.
Just a few days ago I read on Coindesk about the hike in the price of Ether so I checked my wallet amount and now it is quite a substantial amount!
I wanted to make sure I still have access to it. So I downloaded and installed Ethereum Wallet on my computer. I tried importing the json backup file, but it asks for a password! Oh dear!
I have a good idea what base words I probably would have used, and would have added some other filler numbers / symbols etc. but I'm not sure what length the system would have demanded the password to be etc.
Can anyone advise me what the criteria for the password would have been (e.g. minimum n chars, Capitals, symbols, numbers?)

Thanks,
Trevor

Comments

• TrevorTrevor Posts: 6Member
    Can anyone help? There must be someone here who purchased during the pre-sale.
    Can you remember if it required you to enter a specific number of characters, numbers or symbols?
    Or.... worst case scenario - it specified the password for me. In which case, I'll have to give up!
    Ok. I've finally worked out the password that I used!
    Now I want to do two things:
    • Backup the wallet
    • Convert a small amount to cash (just to make sure that I'm able to do so)
    What is the best way to do this?

I'm running 'Ethereum Wallet' on Linux.
    When I select 'Accounts' -> 'Backup' -> 'Accounts'
    I get a file open dialog, as though it wants me to select a file to back up into?
    Not really sure what I'm supposed to do here?

I'd like to transfer a small amount of Ether to my Bitcoin account. Is that easy to do?

Any advice would be appreciated.
    Trevor
    Why do I feel like I'm talking to myself??!

So I've had a look around and it seems I should be able to convert some ETH into cash using Kraken. I'll give that a go today (although I was hoping for some advice on the recommend methods).

But most importantly, I want to know how to backup my wallet?
    As I mentioned when I select 'Accounts' -> 'Backup' -> 'Accounts' in Ethereum Wallet, I just get a file open dialog. I don't know what the program is expecting here.

Please help.
  • o0ragman0oo0ragman0o Posts: 1,238Member, Moderator mod
    @trevor When you select the backup option, it opens to the location of where your private keys are stored. Simply copy the contents of that folder to some other backup location such as a USB drive that you can lock away.

Reputable exchanges like Kraken are typically how people buy and sell ether.
    @o0ragman0o Thanks for the response.

Ok. I've backed-up the wallet to a USB stick.

And I set up an account with Kraken and got it to generate an Ether address to deposit Ether into.
    I then went into Ethereum wallet and selected "Send". I only entered 0.5 Ether to check if the process works but then it says "Exceeds block gas limit"

What does this mean?
    Anyone?
    What does "Exceeds block gas limit" mean? I've tried putting all different amounts into the dialog and the only other error I'm able to get is "Intrinsic Gas too low"
    Is there anywhere where I can get information about how to use Ethereum Wallet?
    Or maybe, is there a better program I can use?
    Or now that I've placed my backup into Ethereum Wallet, I am stuck with it until I can use it to transfer the ether somewhere else?

Also, as it starts up, it gives a message "Ethereum needs to sync, please wait... Looking for peers..."
    Nothing seems to happen, no matter how long I wait.
    In the end I press "Launch Application"
    Is that the cause of my problems?

Please help.
    Trevor
  • JustCauseJustCause Posts: 25Member
    edited June 18
    You will have to wait for the nodes and blocks to completely update and download. Once it's completed, the transactions should go through smoothly. It works for even small transaction amounts or fees.