RX 470 4GB 28 MH/s help

emperorneroemperornero Posts: 29Member
Title pretty much.

I'm reading as much as I can about bios modding but I can't seem to figure it out. I've gotten my cards to 24 MH/s each pretty stable but I don't have a clue where to find the supposed strap settings for the memory to increase the MH/s.

Is there a step by step guide somewhere other than something that just says "you need to change xxxx value to xxxx" without any direction on how to accomplish said steps?

Comments

• vminingvmining Posts: 19Member
    https://forum.ethereum.org/discussion/11266/quick-guide-to-flash-your-rx470-rx480-cards
    What straps to copy there are some other threads. But mostly it is the 1500 to all above.
  • emperorneroemperornero Posts: 29Member
    Ok I think I get it now so copy the memory timings from 1500 into the boxes for 1625 and up?
  • theneogeo1982theneogeo1982 Posts: 530Member ✭✭✭
    ok this helped make my hashrate more consistent but I'm still hovering around 26.6 mh/s

Do i need to increase the overall frequency too?
    Just memory clocks and adjust power
    edited March 19
    Ok I think I'm doing something wrong after copying all the timings and increasing power I'm actually getting LESS mhs than before.

What could be wrong?
  • tinrooftinroof Posts: 26Member
    set power limit higher or it adjusts currents given to GPU lower.
  • tinrooftinroof Posts: 26Member
    One more thing some 470-4g cards works only at 26.XX at most. no matter how you tune it. In that case you would maintain th hashrate and find settings comsumes least power.
  • mbdmbnmbdmbn Posts: 21Member
    edited March 20
    This is what works for me I have the nitro+ 470's, copy the 1750 timing and paste it into the higher timings. then on trixx set -100 on voltage
    and then 1150 and 2050 on both clocks, save the profiles and then run your miner, I'm getting around 28.5 on each card sometimes it hits 29 when I'm dual mining pascal, hope it works out for you!

• yodiyodi Posts: 256Member ✭✭
    start with 1st step ...
    install gpuz , and let us know what is the memory inside ? samsung , elpidia , hynix , micron ?....
    edited March 20
    It has Samsung memory. Oddly enough after getting each card to 26mhs I'm actually mining less than at stock clocks even with hwinfo reporting no memory errors.

About to give up on modifying and just run stock been battling this for 2 days with no good results.
    edited March 21
    Yea don't give up, follow these instructions for flashing your card, https://forum.ethereum.org/discussion/11266/quick-guide-to-flash-your-rx470-rx480-cards where you change XXXX to XXXX is on the polaris bios editor, copy the 1750 timing and then paste it into the higher timings, save it and then use atiflash to program that bios, then all you have to do is tweek your settings on trixx or wattman and start your miner.
  • yodiyodi Posts: 256Member ✭✭
    samsung ok , but what is the model ?
    edited March 22
    I think a few of my cards can't handle the 1750 timings as I am getting higher hash rates but as soon as i get to the top end temperature, one of the cards is crashing. As much as I would love to figure out which one it is, this doesn't happen when I'm running them one by one by themselves, only when running all 6... This happens with zero overclock at 2000 mhz and no undervolt.

Samsung K4G41325FE something is the memory type. From what I gather it's 8 512 MB stacks.
    Mine crashed too because of no undervolt, you have to make sure you have the settings correct before you start your miner, if the cards are crashing at those settings on trixx, then turn down the memory clock by 25 and restart your miner.
  • cryptorexcryptorex Posts: 46Member
    Running 6x 470 MSI 4gb Armor OC here. Samsung Memory. I'm getting 170 Mh/s about ~28.3 each card.

-Crimson Graphics Drivers 16.11.5
    -Memory Timings from 1625 to 2000

MSI Afterburner settings:

-96 undervolt
    -GPU Clock: 1230 ("stock" for OC card)
    -Mem Clock: 2000

Hope the info helps if you're still having issues. Happy mining!

• wirelessnet2wirelessnet2 Posts: 359Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 23
    lol memory hardware errors basically dont count for shit
    I have 3 RX 480s producing millions of hardware errors each and they are mining at 30+ mh/s and the rig was on for 645 hours before I manually took it down to add cards to it
    It was a rig of a 390x, 2 RX 480s, and 3 nanos
    cryptorex said:

Running 6x 470 MSI 4gb Armor OC here. Samsung Memory. I'm getting 170 Mh/s about ~28.3 each card.

-Crimson Graphics Drivers 16.11.5
    -Memory Timings from 1625 to 2000

MSI Afterburner settings:

-96 undervolt
    -GPU Clock: 1230 ("stock" for OC card)
    -Mem Clock: 2000

Hope the info helps if you're still having issues. Happy mining!

try boosting to 2025 or 2040 see if you bump up to 29

lol memory hardware errors basically dont count for shit
    I have 3 RX 480s producing millions of hardware errors each and they are mining at 30+ mh/s and the rig was on for 645 hours before I manually took it down to add cards to it
    It was a rig of a 390x, 2 RX 480s, and 3 nanos

Are you sure that's true though?

I had a moment when i got the rig running stable at 166 mhs but after running it for a few hours I was actually finding less shares than running at stock settings at 130 mhs. Every card had tons of memory errors and I was finding only about 140-160 shares an hour vs the 210-240 at stock.
    @theneogeo1982 Weird. I tried those settings, made it jumpy between 164 - 168 Mh/s.
    hmmmmmm, guess they cant handle it.. odd inded
  • gpopgpop Posts: 1Member
    edited March 23
    Anyone have recommended MSI Afterburn settings for RX 470 ARMOR 4G Hynix? Most of my cards are Hynix. Only a few are Samsung. @cryptorex
    2000-2050 memory clock, undervolt you have to trial and error that
  • thepixelgeekthepixelgeek PhillyPosts: 96Member
    edited March 25
    Great thread! Exactly what I needed.

I just switched from ethos to windows 10. I'll be modding 6 Strix 470's 4G this weekend. I tried modding one card before reading this thread and got errors. I'll update my progress as I go.

Once I mod, should I stick with Windows10 instead of going back to ethOS?

Edit: I have 4 samsung, 1 Hynix, 1 Elpida. And, I believe they have Crimson 16.9...will need to double check.

Edit: Another question...best OC tool to use: MSI Afterburner, Trixx, or Wattman?

Update: Driver is Crimson 16.6
    Post edited by thepixelgeek on
    edited March 24
    @gpop I have my MSI Afterburner settings as mentioned above, but its Samsung memory. I don't have any Hynix cards: -96 undervolt ; GPU Clock: 1230 ("stock" for OC card) ; Mem Clock: 2000 ; Fans are also on curve but honestly they're at 90% or above all the time. :smiley:

@thepixelgeek From what I've learned so far it seems easier to stick to Windows 10 and there might not be a difference in hash rate. I've read you can BIOS mod the cards in windows and run in ethOS, but I'm not sure what OC tools ethOS has. I've only used MSI Afterburner, but all three seem to be accepted by the community.

edited March 25
    Flashed with 1500 timings.

Samsung Rx470 using Afterburner settings:
    +5 power
    1160 core
    1950 mem

28.9 Mh/s
    95W

edit: getting some graphic glitches...not stable...
    edited March 25
    Why do settings revert back to stock when restarting the computer? How can it be fixed?
    What Crimson driver is best for overclocking rx 470?
    edited March 25
    Messed something up...installed the AMD auto detect software, and now card is not working. Appears to be missing Crimson driver.

Update: That was fun...uninstalled AMD app, installed Crimson 16.8.1, AND reflashed with OG. The new driver appears to allow higher memory clock (2100), BUT only getting 26 Mh/s. Only 85 Watts though. 58C temps.

Side note, if I flash with mod bios, windows doesn't recognize card. Again, using 1500 timings.
    I've given up on bios adjustment. Yeah, you get higher MHS, but after watching the shares per hour, the averages actually fall from stock settings.

Seems the best way to handle it is just set it up, install OS and start up your miner, no extra messing with it required. It may be different for other versions of cards, but as far as these Armor 470s, stock seems the way to go.