MSI Z170 7 GPU BIOS Setting step by step

Comments

• CameronSCameronS Member Posts: 46
    I have followed the steps listed throughout this thread and it seems regardless of what card or PCI slot on the motherboard I choose windows will only show 2 cards in device manager. Windows is only picking up 2 of my 6 cards. I'm in UEFI, I have enabled 4G, set the 2 settings to GEN1, and set the integrated graphics to PEG. I'm using 6x Power Color Red Devil Rx 480 8gb cards, with the MSI Z170A Pro Gaming Carbon. I have had to mine with only 2 cards so I at least can make some of the investment back.
  • lablettlablett Member Posts: 333 ✭✭
    CameronS said:

I have followed the steps listed throughout this thread and it seems regardless of what card or PCI slot on the motherboard I choose windows will only show 2 cards in device manager. Windows is only picking up 2 of my 6 cards. I'm in UEFI, I have enabled 4G, set the 2 settings to GEN1, and set the integrated graphics to PEG. I'm using 6x Power Color Red drop hDevil Rx 480 8gb cards, with the MSI Z170A Pro Gaming Carbon. I have had to mine with only 2 cards so I at least can make some of the investment back.

Go back to basics. Drop down to five cards. DDU to remove all drivers. Install 17.4.4 and check you get this far. Remember after remove drivers you must disable 'enable 4g' then install drivers.

lablett said:

CameronS said:

I have followed the steps listed throughout this thread and it seems regardless of what card or PCI slot on the motherboard I choose windows will only show 2 cards in device manager. Windows is only picking up 2 of my 6 cards. I'm in UEFI, I have enabled 4G, set the 2 settings to GEN1, and set the integrated graphics to PEG. I'm using 6x Power Color Red drop hDevil Rx 480 8gb cards, with the MSI Z170A Pro Gaming Carbon. I have had to mine with only 2 cards so I at least can make some of the investment back.

Go back to basics. Drop down to five cards. DDU to remove all drivers. Install 17.4.4 and check you get this far. Remember after remove drivers you must disable 'enable 4g' then install drivers.

I'm going to start over on EthOS instead.
  • iamnoobplzhelpiamnoobplzhelp Member Posts: 239 ✭✭
    CameronS said:

I have followed the steps listed throughout this thread and it seems regardless of what card or PCI slot on the motherboard I choose windows will only show 2 cards in device manager. Windows is only picking up 2 of my 6 cards. I'm in UEFI, I have enabled 4G, set the 2 settings to GEN1, and set the integrated graphics to PEG. I'm using 6x Power Color Red Devil Rx 480 8gb cards, with the MSI Z170A Pro Gaming Carbon. I have had to mine with only 2 cards so I at least can make some of the investment back.

Have you tried each card individually to make sure that they work? If you open up device manager, are the other VGA adapters listed in "Other Devices"? Sometimes Windows won't automatically apply the drivers down.

Did you upgrade the motherboard BIOS to the most recent version provided by the manufacturer?

Are you sure that all your cards are plugged in to the risers properly and everything is being powered properly? Did you try different risers?

CameronS said:

Have you tried each card individually to make sure that they work? If you open up device manager, are the other VGA adapters listed in "Other Devices"? Sometimes Windows won't automatically apply the drivers down.

Did you upgrade the motherboard BIOS to the most recent version provided by the manufacturer?

Are you sure that all your cards are plugged in to the risers properly and everything is being powered properly? Did you try different risers?
    I have done all that you recommended, I'm currently on ethos and 4 GPUs detected immediately fixing kernel panic to get 5th and 6th working. Now I just gotta find some overclock settings for the red devil rx 480s
  • asd123asd123 Member Posts: 8
    edited June 2017
    @lablett Do I have to overwrite files from 16.9.2 to 17.5.1 and install , apply atkmdag patcher as well? I hear you just need to apply atikmdagpatcher after cancelling 17.5.1 restart for 17.5.1 drivers for amd.

I tried to follow this guy's instruction, but he was not specific with his drivers or modding setting so I just went with

17.5.1 amd driver. after installing the driver(cancel the restart) and applied atikmdag patcher.exe then restarted.

The computer detects all the gpus, but two of the modded gpus have error -43 on the driver(which means signature confirmation failed)

can anyone help me out?

I have 1.7 motherboard bios patch. 4g decoding on. peg1 peg2 set to gen1.
    windows fast boot disabled
    booting is UEFI, and GPT partitioning windows 10.
    asd123 said:

@lablett Do I have to overwrite files from 16.9.2 to 17.5.1 and install , apply atkmdag patcher as well? I hear you just need to apply atikmdagpatcher after cancelling 17.5.1 restart for 17.5.1 drivers for amd.

I tried to follow this guy's instruction, but he was not specific with his drivers or modding setting so I just went with

17.5.1 amd driver. after installing the driver(cancel the restart) and applied atikmdag patcher.exe then restarted.

The computer detects all the gpus, but two of the modded gpus have error -43 on the driver(which means signature confirmation failed)

can anyone help me out?

I have 1.7 motherboard bios patch. 4g decoding on. peg1 peg2 set to gen1.
    windows fast boot disabled
    booting is UEFI, and GPT partitioning windows 10.

I have not tried 17.5.1 yet but try these updated steps.
    1. Use DDU to remove installed drivers.
    2. Install the driver 16.9.2 but cancel on configuration screen and the driver will be installed un c:\AMD
    3. Install the AMD driver 17.4.3 but cancel install on configuration screen.
    4. Copy and replace all content from
    a. "C:\AMD\Non-WHQL-Win10-64Bit-Radeon-Software-Crimson-16.9.2-Sep21\Packages\Drivers\Display\WT6A_INF\B307117"
    to
    b. "C:\AMD\WHQL-Win7-64Bit-Radeon-Software-Crimson-ReLive-17.4.3-Apr17\Packages\Drivers\Display\W76A_INF\B313057" (Basically you copy the old driver over the new)
    5. Install the VGA cards manually from Device manager in Windows pointing path to the new driver 17.4.3 in this case.

OMFG - AMD 17.5.2 driver works with 6 cards!!!!!!

1. DDU uninstall and shutdown
    2. Reboot and go into bios and disable ‘Above 4G Decoding’.
    3. Reboot into windows and install AMD driver. Please note this may take some time and only some of the cards will initialise correctly. Do no restart after install.
    4. Shutdown
    5. Reboot and go into bios and enable ‘Above 4G Decoding’.

• NebellNebell Member Posts: 39
    lablett said:

3. Reboot into windows and install AMD driver. Please note this may take some time and only some of the cards will initialise correctly. Do no restart after install.
    4. Shutdown

?????????????????????????????????

Nebell said:

lablett said:

4. Shutdown

?????????????????????????????????

Yes - makes no diffrence reboot/shutdown- And it works for 7 cards - Please note it takes ages with 7 cards and when you do the final reboot just wait for all the cards in device manager!
    Yeah, but you wrote do not restart after install but the next step is to shutdown. It makes the whole process confusing.
    lablett said:

4. Shutdown

Is that for Rx 470s or rx 570s? Also did you mod the bios? At what point did you install atkdag patcher and turned off driver signature?
    asd123 said:

lablett said:

4. Shutdown

Is that for Rx 470s or rx 570s? Also did you mod the bios? At what point did you install atkdag patcher and turned off driver signature?
    This was for 580'x and BIOS's are modded. I just checked and 'atikmdag-patcher' has not been applied although I have applied it in the past. Give it a try without 'atikmdag-patcher'
    I have put the final 580x into my last rig which is based on the MSI A170 and it has been one hell of a journey. However, if you are starting with this motherboard now then due to the new AMD driver (17.5.2) things are a lot easier. Just got to sit back now and get back to a normal life.
    I have the same motherboard, does the same process work for 7 Nvidia cards as well? (GTX 1060)
  • LanzaLanza Member Posts: 2
    edited June 2017
    On the SLI PLUS the new driver 17.6.1 worked for 5 RX580s on Windows. Later I switched to Ethos because it was little unstable and it gets really annoying to go into wattman to set each GPU values after crashing.
  • iamnoobplzhelpiamnoobplzhelp Member Posts: 239 ✭✭
    Anyone able to get 8 cards running on the Z170 boards? MSI Gaming M5, Pro Carbon, or SLI Plus?
  • LanzaLanza Member Posts: 2
    I have a PCIe multiplier, but can't test it until I get more GPUs... Care to send me 2 and I'll be more than happy to test it for you lol...
    edited June 2017
    lablett said:

4. Shutdown

Did not work for rx 470. :(
    Post edited by asd123 on
  • Zion2345Zion2345 Member Posts: 11
    edited June 2017
    I see tons of chatter about AMD cards but has any one else tried to use GTX 1070s? I'm NOT using the carbon version of this board only the gaming pro. So far i have only managed to get 4 of my 6 GTX 1070's working. Windows just doesn't detect the last two. I have flashed the BioS to the most recent version. and followed the guide as to how to modify the BioS. The cards have power and i have checked both the cards and risers all function properly the computer just doesn't seem to detect them.

Mobo: MSI Z170A Gaming Pro (Not Carbon)
    LGA 1151 3.2ghz Celeron processor
    DDR4 Ripjaw 2133mhz ram
    Kingston SSD
    Windows 10 (not sure on service pack or verson atm)
    6x gtx 1070
    EVGA 1600W supernova

Edit: i got 5 of the 6 cards to work by reinstalling the bios. Not sure why its still not registering the 6th card.

Edit 2: Make sure all your cards power cords are plugged in. XD systems fully operational now!
    Post edited by Zion2345 on
  • PenechoPenecho Member Posts: 8
    edited June 2017
    Guys, i kinda have the same problem as some of you and would really appreciate your help.

I did a clean install of win10 x64 in uefi mode, confirmed via msinfo32 it is really in uefi mode.
    Plugged in 1 rx570 (via 6pin powered Riser), connected DVI cable, booted to windows and installed ATI driver.
    Plugged in a 2nd card (also via 6pin powered riser) and all i get is a black screen, after i turn it on. No bios screen, no nothing. The cards worked fine in another PC 1 day ago.

Anyone any suggestions what might be the culprit? PSU is a 1200W be quiet dark power pro 11 titanium.

Edit: Problem is solved. In case anyone else is experiencing the same problem. The GFX with the DVI/HDMI cable connected needs to be in PCIE_2 (the metal one close to the CPU) otherwise it will not work
    Post edited by Penecho on
  • Zion2345Zion2345 Member Posts: 11
    edited June 2017
    @penecho some times you have to change the port you have your monitor plugged into or unplug it and plug it back in for your computer to register it. try that.
  • EthergiggEthergigg Member Posts: 8
    Hello guys,

I have a few problem with MSI Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon. I have attempted mining with Windows and Linux but the
    1- windows froze
    2- GPU doesn't give me proper hashrate
    3- Or it doesn't detect 4-5 GPU.

I am using MSI Armout rx 580 with Hynix chip.

4- Everytime I flash GPU. I get a black screen and never system comes up.

My theory is MSI Armour 580 is not compatible with MSI Z170A.

Any advice would greatly appreciate.

Thanks
    Ethergigg said:

Hello guys,

I have a few problem with MSI Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon. I have attempted mining with Windows and Linux but the
    1- windows froze
    2- GPU doesn't give me proper hashrate
    3- Or it doesn't detect 4-5 GPU.

I am using MSI Armout rx 580 with Hynix chip.

4- Everytime I flash GPU. I get a black screen and never system comes up.

My theory is MSI Armour 580 is not compatible with MSI Z170A.

Any advice would greatly appreciate.

Thanks

nah this is a driver configuration issue. just get the working with factory BIOS. What and driver version are you using ?
  • EthergiggEthergigg Member Posts: 8
    latest version of RX 580 Armor
    Ethergigg said:

latest version of RX 580 Armor

which is ?
  • PicciohPiccioh Member Posts: 2
    I have 2x z170a gaming m7. The first with 7x rx470 works great!! Now i'm trying to setup the second mobo for 6x r9 390 but i have much problem with the reconize of all gpus...im using w10 os...my question is: is it poaaible to run 6x r9 390 on this mobo??
  • SuicideEvilHasherSuicideEvilHasher Member Posts: 1
    Can I use this BIOS update for PiMP OS?
  • EHICEHIC Member Posts: 7
    I am new to the mining community and i know i am kind of late to the party but can you guys please help me ...

My setup is
    Mobo: msi z170a gaming m5
    Cpu: celeron g3930
    Gpu: rx 560 4gb (x7) couldn't what so ever to get my hands on 470, 480, 580 or 570.
    Ram: 4gb x2 Kingston
    Hard drive : 120gb ssd

On simplemining, i only get 4 gpus when plugging more os works but i get "no amd gpu ..."
    On windows 10, 6 gpus detected out of 7 and in device manager 3 gpus out of 6 are recognised. Rest 3 dont work.

Any help is much appreciated.
    Thank you
    I hope you understand my English.
  • Techman34Techman34 Member Posts: 405 ✭✭✭
    This guide from @BitsBeTrippin might help: