MSI Z170 7 GPU BIOS Setting step by step

Comments

• lablettlablett Member Posts: 333 ✭✭
    How many people with this board are using a M.2 drive as maybe that's my problem ?
  • otheregootherego Member Posts: 26
    I've done some question on the MSI support community but nobody reply me
  • iamnoobplzhelpiamnoobplzhelp Member Posts: 239 ✭✭
    lablett said:

How many people with this board are using a M.2 drive as maybe that's my problem ?

I've gotten 6x cards to work on the MSI Z170A SLI PLUS using one M.2 to PCIe, but the 7th card didn't have enough resources. Not enough PCIe lanes.

I'm hoping that the Pro Carbon will have enough lanes for 8.

I also have a Gaming M5 on the way. I'll be testing that as well.
    edited May 2017

lablett said:

I've gotten 6x cards to work on the MSI Z170A SLI PLUS using one M.2 to PCIe, but the 7th card didn't have enough resources. Not enough PCIe lanes.

I'm hoping that the Pro Carbon will have enough lanes for 8.

I also have a Gaming M5 on the way. I'll be testing that as well.
    I'm hoping too. But believe me it doesn't works even disabling audio card and integrated lan to free some resources
    Mine isn't detected by windows and even from motherboard explore in the bios menu
    Post edited by otherego on
    The Z170 Intel chipset has 20 lanes so we just need to know how these are used.
    lablett said:

The Z170 Intel chipset has 20 lanes so we just need to know how these are used.

May be with some bios modifications
    edited May 2017
    Also it seems most CPU only support 16 lanes! But this is just for direct access to CPU so 20 limit still stands!
    Post edited by lablett on
  • MaguaryMaguary Member Posts: 59
    After checking some technical aspects from

Maguary said:

Very interesting guide, its possible to use 8x cards with those PCI-e switches?

Once I get a stronger PSU, I will try 8 cards via the M.2 to PCIe adapter.
    Awesome, but i think there's a better alternative, after researching the PCI-e bus architecture in MSI Gaming M, which a believe share the same architecture of the MSI Pro Carbon, i find out this:

PCI-e Connections
    • Slot 1 - 3.0 X1 to Z170A Chipset
    • Slot 2 - 3.0 X16 to Switch X16 to Socket 1151 CPU
    • Slot 3 - 3.0 X1 to Switch X4 to Z170A Chipset
    • Slot 4 - 3.0 X1 to Switch X4 to Z170A Chipset
    • Slot 5 - 3.0 X8 to Switch X16 to Socket 1151 CPU
    • Slot 6 - 3.0 X1 to Switch X4 to Z170A Chipset
    • Slot 7 - 3.0 X4 to Switch X4 to Z170A Chipset
    So, after that i was think about those 3-1 one PCI-e x1 boards, just plug 2 to slot 2 and 5, that going directly to CPU, so, 6x GPU direct to the board and another 2 on the normal risers on slot 1 and 3.

Still researching, i just started planing the rig, lots of information to read and think about, that one of my ideas, and i think is pretty viable so far, but i need to research more about PCI-e architecture and such.

What do you think guys? Can be work? How about latency? Bandwidth? Parallelism?

PS. This is the switch i was talking about, i think is a x4 switch, 1 to interconnect the board out and 3 for slots, i still need to download this chip datasheet, and understand better the PCI-e architecture. and how the board interconnects all.
  • SpektreSpektre Member Posts: 6
    lablett said:

Not me. I have a standard SATA SSD

Spektre said:

lablett said:

Spektre said:

I have been trying to follow this guide for weeks with little joy.

One time I was able to get 6 cards running, but it locked up after a few hours and then would not boot again.

1-7. I install Windows 10/64 in UEFI mode and confirmed with the BIOS settings mentioned.

I am a little confused on this step:

"8. Now attach all your cards one at a time to ensure you can see them in device manager. Please note they will not be working at this point. Check you can see all your cards in device manager and they will not be working yet."

You do not mean to add them while the system is powered correct? I have interpreted this to mean add a card, note that it is seen as a "Microsoft Display Adapter". Shut down power. Add another card. Check that it is seen. Repeat until your system shows 6 (in my case) "Microsoft Display Adpater"'s

9. Next install the AMD device driver.

Note that following the installation, your Microsoft Display Adapter are now all recognized as RX480's (in my case)
    However, only 3 in my case work, the other three still show "cannot find resources".

Shutdown.

10. Change the BIOS setting 'Above 4G Decoding/Crypto Currency mining’ to enabled.

My system will now not start.

When I save and exit the BIOS after the changes it begins to boot twice. Each time getting to the BIOS screen and shutting down.

ON the last restart it shows "Preparing Automatic Repair", and then I am left at a backlit, black screen.

(Therefore I cannot progress to installing the Pixel Clock patch.

Any ideas?

What driver version did you install ?

5 cards works. But trying this with 6 cards gives me the "Preparing Automatic Repair" after the BIOS change and restart.
    If you want more than 5 cards then you need to follow this guide https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1891461.msg18863585#msg18863585

lablett said:

Spektre said:

lablett said:

Spektre said:

I have been trying to follow this guide for weeks with little joy.

One time I was able to get 6 cards running, but it locked up after a few hours and then would not boot again.

1-7. I install Windows 10/64 in UEFI mode and confirmed with the BIOS settings mentioned.

I am a little confused on this step:

"8. Now attach all your cards one at a time to ensure you can see them in device manager. Please note they will not be working at this point. Check you can see all your cards in device manager and they will not be working yet."

You do not mean to add them while the system is powered correct? I have interpreted this to mean add a card, note that it is seen as a "Microsoft Display Adapter". Shut down power. Add another card. Check that it is seen. Repeat until your system shows 6 (in my case) "Microsoft Display Adpater"'s

9. Next install the AMD device driver.

Note that following the installation, your Microsoft Display Adapter are now all recognized as RX480's (in my case)
    However, only 3 in my case work, the other three still show "cannot find resources".

Shutdown.

10. Change the BIOS setting 'Above 4G Decoding/Crypto Currency mining’ to enabled.

My system will now not start.

When I save and exit the BIOS after the changes it begins to boot twice. Each time getting to the BIOS screen and shutting down.

ON the last restart it shows "Preparing Automatic Repair", and then I am left at a backlit, black screen.

(Therefore I cannot progress to installing the Pixel Clock patch.

Any ideas?

What driver version did you install ?

5 cards works. But trying this with 6 cards gives me the "Preparing Automatic Repair" after the BIOS change and restart.
    If you want more than 5 cards then you need to follow this guide https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1891461.msg18863585#msg18863585

Will do, but is this a 7 card guide step by step? or a 5 card guide.

Off to read
    BTW, I am trying with RX480s. They seem concerned with using RX580s. That thread seems to just be concerned with making 580s work where 480s already did.
  • insaniakinsaniak Member Posts: 65
    Same process really.. just follow it if 6-7 cards work with it so will 5
  • mine_ethmine_eth Member Posts: 45
    Did anyone manage to rung 7 rx5xx cards on the MSI z170a gaming pro carbon?

If not, any board capable of running 7 cards?

Thanks
    edited May 2017
    I'm running 7 x Rx 470 correctly with this board. I don't test it with Rx 5xx series. But I think you must install recent drivers (without use the drivers installer but install them manually) and after patch them (if you modified GPU bios)
    Hi everyone, as you were aware I was having issues with my build and I suspect it was related to using a m2 drive but I'm not 100%. Anyway, I created a much cleaner build document and my system is 100% stable. So enjoy and any donations are welcome and my address is :wink:

0x1a1dce08ca6b217f11918a14a568f4bc9870aa16

I have more risers coming next week so I can test 6+ cards.

1. Plug riser in main video slot through a riser and connect monitor to card.
    2. Reset the bios in case you have been messing with the settings ;-)
    3. Download the latest bios from MSI site as you will need this for some of the newer settings mentioned below.
    4. Make the following BIOS Settings and you will need to switch to advanced view.
    a. Settings\Advanced\PCI Subsystem settings
    i. Change boot mode to ‘UEFI’ mode. This is very important!!!!!
    5. Install MS Windows
    6. Check you are indeed running in UEFI mode. Open the System Information Utility (Win Key + "R" > "msinfo32" > OK). In system summary, look for "BIOS MODE".
    7. Change MS Windows performance settings :-
    a. Open Explorer - right mouse click on 'This PC' and choose properties.
    b. Select Advanced System settings on the left hand side.
    c. Click on the button 'Settings' in the performance group.
    Select 'Adjust for best performance'
    d. Now select. - Advanced system Settings - Performance - set Adjust for best performance.
    e. Also increase and set the swap file to 17000
    f. Reboot.
    8. Now go into device manager and wait for windows to install all the drivers, which include 17.1.1, and wait until there are no unknown devices. This can take some time! If you are not happy with the driver version then change now.
    9. Shutdown PC
    10. Add a second card and start machine.
    11. In windows after time the screen will flicker and check two devices are shown in the device manager.
    12. Shutdown PC
    13. Add a third card and start machine
    14. In Windows and check three devices are shown in the device manager.
    15. Shutdown PC
    16. Add a third card and start machine
    17. In Windows and check four devices are shown in the device manager.
    18. Shutdown PC
    19. Add fifth card.
    20. Restart and go into BIOS to make the following changes :-
    a. Settings\Advanced\PCI Subsystem settings
    i. Change ‘Above 4G Decoding/Crypto Currency mining’ to enabled. This is to allow the system to see over 4 cards!!!!!
    21. Boot and wait, can take some time, for Windows to see 5th card.
    edited May 2017
    Post edited by otherego on
    otherego said:
    Based on the issues I had with my m2 drive this might not be a good idea. You want to stay native so I have seen these working https://www.amazon.com/External-Internal-express-Expansion-Multiplier/dp/B01ARJNCG2
    edited May 2017
    ok - I went out to plant the sunflowers and it was foobar when I got back. I guess what, I started losing a random card. I looked in the Windows update log and there were three updates. So I disabled the updates and removed update KB4019472 and all is fine again. Please note this is an issue with 580x cards.
    ok - Applied to a second rig ans same good results. So happy going to have another beer!
  • sjeikZsjeikZ Member Posts: 14
    kotarius said:

We are working to fix this problem with the Z170 chipset with ethOS 1.2.1. It should be released this weekend.

Hello Kotarius, will Ethos detect all 6 or 7 cards automatically with newest MSI bios and ethos update?

Thanks
    lablett said:

ok - I went out to plant the sunflowers and it was foobar when I got back. I guess what, I started losing a random card. I looked in the Windows update log and there were three updates. So I disabled the updates and removed update KB4019472 and all is fine again. Please note this is an issue with 580x cards.

So issue with KB4019472 + RX 580
    Maguary said:

lablett said:

So issue with KB4019472 + RX 580
    yes - KB4019472 has quite a few fixes in it.
  • starzenstarzen Member Posts: 7
    i tried with both format fat32 and ntfs but still it doesnt show the ROM file. Usb is shown in m-flash bios section but not the file inside it. HELP
    lablett said:

starzen said:

hi, I have bought same motherboard, while trying to flash with bios file E7A12IMS.170 in the usb stick, the system shows usb but doesn't show the file inside it. I have extracted file directly to the usb stick. (i even changed usb filesystem to fat33 but didnt work)

Try the following -

1. Format USB stick in windows with default settings.
    2. Extract ROM to desktop.
    3. Copy ROM to root of USB stick.
    4. Boot into bios and select firmware upgrade and then load ROM from USB stick,
    edited May 2017
    starzen said:

i tried with both format fat32 and ntfs but still it doesnt show the ROM file. Usb is shown in m-flash bios section but not the file inside it. HELP

lablett said:

starzen said:

hi, I have bought same motherboard, while trying to flash with bios file E7A12IMS.170 in the usb stick, the system shows usb but doesn't show the file inside it. I have extracted file directly to the usb stick. (i even changed usb filesystem to fat33 but didnt work)

Try the following -

1. Format USB stick in windows with default settings.
    2. Extract ROM to desktop.
    3. Copy ROM to root of USB stick.
    4. Boot into bios and select firmware upgrade and then load ROM from USB stick,
    You have the wrong BIOS file - check you have downloaded the right BIOS file!
    Post edited by lablett on
    No one has success with 8 cards on this setup RX480 or RX580?
  • EthergiggEthergigg Member Posts: 8
    how to mod setting on GPU RX 580 Armour to get maximum hash rate?
    Ethergigg said:

how to mod setting on GPU RX 580 Armour to get maximum hash rate?

What memory do you have on the card ?
  • EthergiggEthergigg Member Posts: 8
    edited May 2017
    it is 4gb and Current Hashrate is 22 MH/s
    Ethergigg said:

it is 4gb and Current Hashrate is 22 MH/s

Can you please run GPU-Z and tell us the memory chip Samsung/Hynix/etc ?