MSI Z170 7 GPU BIOS Setting step by step

Comments

• jahrastar_ivxxjahrastar_ivxx Member Posts: 9
    hi, I have manage to get stable mining with 7 gpus but only on linux. Did 24 hours no crashes. Only issue now is to sort out a few issues I am having with linux startups and reboot. Getting hangs on reboot and sometimes a black screen on boot
  • JawboneJawbone Member Posts: 44
    How the hell are you running 7 gpus off that little power? My 6 rig pulls 1100 from the wall with a platinum 1200 PSU!
  • lablettlablett Member Posts: 333 ✭✭
    narba88 said:

Are we comfortable with this running on any of the MSI Z170A boards?

No - I still have an issue with one random card being disabled but I think this is because I'm running MS Windows and 580x cards. Cutting edge means bleeding edge. I am trying to iron the issue out as we speak. I am very close to running five cards.
    lablett said:

narba88 said:

No - I still have an issue with one random card being disabled but I think this is because I'm running MS Windows and 580x cards. Cutting edge means bleeding edge. I am trying to iron the issue out as we speak. I am very close to running five cards.
    I have fixed the issue and it may have been related to the fact I modded the bios. Basically you just need to install ATI Pixel Clock Patcher from a. https://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-AMD-ATI-Pixel-Clock-Patcher.

• narba88narba88 Member Posts: 85
    Anyone running this setup on the msi z170a M5 board?
  • BluesunBluesun Member Posts: 18
    For some reason my post got deleted...
    lablett said:

lablett said:

narba88 said:

I have fixed the issue and it may have been related to the fact I modded the bios. Basically you just need to install ATI Pixel Clock Patcher from a. https://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-AMD-ATI-Pixel-Clock-Patcher.

What driver are you using? The only way I was able to get 7 RX570s to work was to hack together a driver from 17.x and 16.12.1, as described here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1891461.msg18863585#msg18863585

The only downside to this is I'm unable to overclock, underclock or undervolt anything...

edited May 2017
    I'm using 17
    Bluesun said:

lablett said:

lablett said:

narba88 said:

What driver are you using? The only way I was able to get 7 RX570s to work was to hack together a driver from 17.x and 16.12.1, as described here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1891461.msg18863585#msg18863585

The only downside to this is I'm unable to overclock, underclock or undervolt anything...

I'm using 17.4.3 - remember I am only running 5 cards!
    lablett said:

I'm using 17

I'm using 17.4.3 - remember I am only running 5 cards!

Ah, that makes more sense :smile: . I forgot to mention that, while I can get 7 working, it is not by any means stable. Within 30 minutes at least one card crashes -- always a different card. It seems to be stable with 5, even with my hacked drivers.
  • otheregootherego Member Posts: 26
    edited May 2017
    Bluesun said:

lablett said:

lablett said:

narba88 said:

disable integrated graphic device!!!! i run 7 gpu at 206 mhs and rig was unstopped so far.....
    otherego said:

disable integrated graphic device!!!! i run 7 gpu at 206 mhs and rig was unstopped so far.....

Good call! I'm going to try that! Have you found a way to overclock with the hacked drivers though? Now that I'm thinking of it, I didn't try doing it with Claymore running as admin yet... I'll report back later today.
    lablett said:

starzen said:

hi, I have bought same motherboard, while trying to flash with bios file E7A12IMS.170 in the usb stick, the system shows usb but doesn't show the file inside it. I have extracted file directly to the usb stick. (i even changed usb filesystem to fat33 but didnt work)

Try the following -

1. Format USB stick in windows with default settings.
    2. Extract ROM to desktop.
    3. Copy ROM to root of USB stick.
    4. Boot into bios and select firmware upgrade and then load ROM from USB stick,
    I have the same problem with a sightly different MSI board - MSI Z170A Gaming Pro - My other board was a MSI Gaming Pro Carbon!
    lablett said:

lablett said:

starzen said:

hi, I have bought same motherboard, while trying to flash with bios file E7A12IMS.170 in the usb stick, the system shows usb but doesn't show the file inside it. I have extracted file directly to the usb stick. (i even changed usb filesystem to fat33 but didnt work)

Try the following -

1. Format USB stick in windows with default settings.
    2. Extract ROM to desktop.
    3. Copy ROM to root of USB stick.
    4. Boot into bios and select firmware upgrade and then load ROM from USB stick,
    I have the same problem with a sightly different MSI board - MSI Z170A Gaming Pro - My other board was a MSI Gaming Pro Carbon!
    I fixed the problem as I downloaded the wrong bios. Maybe I made a mistake or/and there are multiple versions of the MS170A. When you are in bios flash screen check the model number matches the prefix in the bios you have downloaded!!
  • narba88narba88 Member Posts: 85
    Jawbone said:

How the hell are you running 7 gpus off that little power? My 6 rig pulls 1100 from the wall with a platinum 1200 PSU!

I got 5x 480s at 750w, and 6 at 900w. Sounds like you need to mod my friend... those sound like they're not modded.

Adjust your mV if you can. I see a 100w+ drop with afterburner at -100
    Bluesun said:

lablett said:

lablett said:

narba88 said:

that rig mines and vacuums the carpet ;)
  • mbeh4sh1mbeh4sh1 Member Posts: 4
    Hi, I've connected 4 gpu on pci x2,x3,x4,x5. I'm wating for 3 more to install.
    Just to be prepared i tried to connect to a gpu to x1 slot but then gpu is not recognized in device manager. Have anyone experience the same behavior. I've also tried disconnect all gpu and only connect to x1, but that turns into black screen ? I've tried with different risers and different gpu.

Rgs
  • iamnoobplzhelpiamnoobplzhelp Member Posts: 239 ✭✭
    I'm unable to get 7 cards running using the 1.7 bios. Using the modded 1.4 bios, I can get 6 cards, though. I am using MSI RX 580 Armor OC.

With the 1.7 bios, it will boot with 5 cards, but when I try to plug in the 6th, it just stays at a black screen. What am I missing?

If I go back to modded 1.4 I can at least get 6 cards working.
    Nothing, as With MS Windows, driver 17.4.3/4, BIOS 1.7 and 580 cards; There is some sort of driver and BIOS issue issue. There is a driver hack kicking around on this forum. What was wrong with staying on BIOS 1.4 ?
    mbeh4sh1 said:

Just to be prepared i tried to connect to a gpu to x1 slot but then gpu is not recognized in device manager. Have anyone experience the same behavior. I've also tried disconnect all gpu and only connect to x1, but that turns into black screen ? I've tried with different risers and different gpu.

Rgs

When you move from 4 GPU's plus you must have installed Windows in uefi.Please refer to previous page for steps to check.
  • mbeh4sh1mbeh4sh1 Member Posts: 4
    lablett said:

mbeh4sh1 said:

Rgs

When you move from 4 GPU's plus you must have installed Windows in uefi.Please refer to previous page for steps to check.
    Lablett, I'm looking at your steps but I don't see any steps installing any driver except AMD, do I need to install chipset drivers etc from MSI at any point during the setup ? Also should Windows 8.1/WHQL Support be enable in bios ? And Integratedm Graphics Configuration PEG, 64M, IDG Disabled ?
    lablett said:

Nothing, as With MS Windows, driver 17.4.3/4, BIOS 1.7 and 580 cards; There is some sort of driver and BIOS issue issue. There is a driver hack kicking around on this forum. What was wrong with staying on BIOS 1.4 ?

1.4 I can only get 6 cards. Trying to get all 7 going. I'll try the driver hack when I get home from work. I think you just need to copy the one file from 16.x.x to 17.x.x, right?
  • ksukhinksukhin Member Posts: 150 ✭✭
    Bluesun said:

lablett said:

lablett said:

narba88 said:

Are you using SATA risers on your 570s?
    Below are the outline steps to install MS Windows 10 Pro with a MSI Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon. If you have already installed MS Windows and cannot get past 4 cards then please see step 4. If you are in a complete mess I would probably recommend you reset the bios and follow the install steps below. The most important thing is to take your time and triple check your riser’s connections; power to PCI riser board, power to card and USB/PCIconnection. I blew up a card when I inserted the PCI car the wrong way round. If you really like the guide then eth donations, to pay for my replacement card, can be sent to:-
    0x1a1dce08ca6b217f11918a14a568f4bc9870aa16

Install Guide – V1.2
    Changes Log
    Added some basic information on modding bios due to delivery of cards with Hynix memory. Also tweaked install steps based on new build.
    Steps
    1. Plug the monitor into the hdmi/dvi slot on the motherboard.
    2. Reset the bios.
    3. Download the latest bios from MSI site as you will need this for some of the newer settings mentioned below.
    4. Make the following BIOS Settings and you will need to switch to advanced view.
    a. Settings\Advanced\PCI Subsystem settings
    i. PEGO0 & PEGO1 to Gen 1
    ii. Check that ‘Above 4G Decoding/Crypto Currency mining’ is disabled
    b. Settings\Boot
    i. Ensure the bios is in UEFI mode. Change boot mode to ‘UEFI’ mode. This is very important!!!!!
    5. Install MS Windows
    6. Check you are indeed running in UEFI mode. Open the System Information Utility (Win Key + "R" > "msinfo32" > OK). In system summary, look for "BIOS MODE".
    7. Install your first GPU into PCI_E2 slot through a riser. This is just to ensure you get video and riser is working.
    8. Now attach all your cards one at a time to ensure you can see them in device manager. Please note they will not be working at this point. Check you can see all your cards in device manager and they will not be working yet.
    9. Install AMD driver and this will take some time and not all the cards will work. Do not restart after driver install and shutdown.
    10. BIOS Change
    a. Settings\Advanced\PCI Subsystem settings
    i. Change ‘Above 4G Decoding/Crypto Currency mining’ to enabled. This is to allow the system to see over 4 cards!!!!!
    11. Install ATI Pixel Clock Patcher
    a. https://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-AMD-ATI-Pixel-Clock-Patcher
    12. When you reboot all the cards should be working. If a card is not availble then go into device manager and remove and wait for it to be added.
    13. Also remember to changes MS Windows performance settings :-
    a. Open Explorer - right mouse click on 'This PC' and choose properties.
    b. Select Advacned System settings on the left hand side.
    c. Click on the button 'Settings' in the performance group.
    Select 'Adjust for best performance'
    d. Reboot and retry.- Advanced system Settings - Performance - set Adjust for best performance.
    14. Re-sequence cards – Got into control panel and uninstall all the card but do not remove the driver. After are short period the cards start to add back in and in the correct order.
    Mining
    1. I get better results on Claymore’s miner on my new 580x.
    a. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1433925.0
    2. Older cards(280x) use genoil-1.1.7
    3. Remember to put a timeout of 20 seconds before you start mining as I have seen some odd issues with MS Windows removing one card.

Bios Modding
    1. You can mod the bios over the risers but ATIFlash UI get confused over 2/3 cards. Tune with one card or another rig before you build your rig. I have a test PC where I test bios mods.
    2. Download ATI Bios Flash and Polaris Bios editor
    a. https://github.com/jaschaknack/PolarisBiosEditor
    b. If you have Samsung memory then just copy the strap setting from 1:1750 to 1:2000. If you have hynic memory then copy the following strap into 2:1750, 2:2000 & 2:2250:-
    i. 777000000000000022AA1C00B56A6D46C0551017BE8E060C006AE6000C081420EA8900AB030000001B162C31C0313F17
    Changing Driver
    1. DDU uninstall and shutdown
    2. Reboot and go into bios and disable ‘Above 4G Decoding’.
    3. Reboot into windows and install AMD driver. Please note this may take some time and only some of the cards will initialise correctly. Do no restart after install.
    4. Shutdown
    5. Reboot and go into bios and enable ‘Above 4G Decoding’.
  • sjeikZsjeikZ Member Posts: 14
    Ordered this mobo, hopefully I find the time to test it out this weekend. Lablett thanks for posting the detialed guides :)
    edited May 2017
    Over the last week I have been battling with an odd GPU dropping. After much effort and the benefit of multiple rigs I found that the batch file, which started the DUAL miner, was causing the problem. If you have 580x's then keep your start.bat simple and I have -

timeout 20
    EthDcrMiner64.exe

ok - issue still going on and it is driving me mad. Keep working on it!
    Post edited by lablett on
    Does anyone have this motherboard, 580x's which are modded and this strange issue ?
  • SpektreSpektre Member Posts: 6
    I have been trying to follow this guide for weeks with little joy.

One time I was able to get 6 cards running, but it locked up after a few hours and then would not boot again.

1-7. I install Windows 10/64 in UEFI mode and confirmed with the BIOS settings mentioned.

I am a little confused on this step:

"8. Now attach all your cards one at a time to ensure you can see them in device manager. Please note they will not be working at this point. Check you can see all your cards in device manager and they will not be working yet."

You do not mean to add them while the system is powered correct? I have interpreted this to mean add a card, note that it is seen as a "Microsoft Display Adapter". Shut down power. Add another card. Check that it is seen. Repeat until your system shows 6 (in my case) "Microsoft Display Adpater"'s

9. Next install the AMD device driver.

Note that following the installation, your Microsoft Display Adapter are now all recognized as RX480's (in my case)
    However, only 3 in my case work, the other three still show "cannot find resources".

Shutdown.

10. Change the BIOS setting 'Above 4G Decoding/Crypto Currency mining’ to enabled.

My system will now not start.

When I save and exit the BIOS after the changes it begins to boot twice. Each time getting to the BIOS screen and shutting down.

ON the last restart it shows "Preparing Automatic Repair", and then I am left at a backlit, black screen.

(Therefore I cannot progress to installing the Pixel Clock patch.

Any ideas?

lablett said:

Does anyone have this motherboard, 580x's which are modded and this strange issue ?

I have RX 580s and I am not having this issue. 5x RX580s stable over 20 hours. I figured out the problem, my PSU is not powerful enough to run 7x with dual mining.

I have 5x RX 580 MSI ARMOR OC. MSI Z170A PRO CARBON. Claymore 9.3.

This is my start script:

setx GPU_FORCE_64BIT_PTR 0
    setx GPU_MAX_HEAP_SIZE 100
    setx GPU_USE_SYNC_OBJECTS 1
    setx GPU_MAX_ALLOC_PERCENT 100
    setx GPU_SINGLE_ALLOC_PERCENT 100

EthDcrMiner64.exe -epool us2.ethermine.org:4444 -ewal x.x -epsw x -dpool stratum+tcp://stratum.decredpool.org:3343 -dwal x.x -dpsw x -tt 75
    pause
  • MaguaryMaguary Member Posts: 59
    Very interesting guide, its possible to use 8x cards with those PCI-e switches?
    Spektre said:

I have been trying to follow this guide for weeks with little joy.

One time I was able to get 6 cards running, but it locked up after a few hours and then would not boot again.

1-7. I install Windows 10/64 in UEFI mode and confirmed with the BIOS settings mentioned.

I am a little confused on this step:

"8. Now attach all your cards one at a time to ensure you can see them in device manager. Please note they will not be working at this point. Check you can see all your cards in device manager and they will not be working yet."

You do not mean to add them while the system is powered correct? I have interpreted this to mean add a card, note that it is seen as a "Microsoft Display Adapter". Shut down power. Add another card. Check that it is seen. Repeat until your system shows 6 (in my case) "Microsoft Display Adpater"'s

9. Next install the AMD device driver.

Note that following the installation, your Microsoft Display Adapter are now all recognized as RX480's (in my case)
    However, only 3 in my case work, the other three still show "cannot find resources".

Shutdown.

10. Change the BIOS setting 'Above 4G Decoding/Crypto Currency mining’ to enabled.

My system will now not start.

When I save and exit the BIOS after the changes it begins to boot twice. Each time getting to the BIOS screen and shutting down.

ON the last restart it shows "Preparing Automatic Repair", and then I am left at a backlit, black screen.

(Therefore I cannot progress to installing the Pixel Clock patch.

Any ideas?

What driver version did you install ?
    Maguary said:

Once I get a stronger PSU, I will try 8 cards via the M.2 to PCIe adapter.
    https://www.amazon.com/M-2-NGFF-PCI-e-Express-Adapter/dp/B01I2WVFLU
  • otheregootherego Member Posts: 26

Maguary said:

Once I get a stronger PSU, I will try 8 cards via the M.2 to PCIe adapter.
    https://www.amazon.com/M-2-NGFF-PCI-e-Express-Adapter/dp/B01I2WVFLU
    In my experience it doesn't works. If have some luck please explain how to do it