Cards and their Values

OverconOvercon Posts: 29Member
edited February 15 in Mining
I know there are a ton of posts on cards, but I am just curious. Is the speeds for the higher cost cards worth the additional investment? These are the two cards I am looking at: I am just not sure an additional $26.01 x 6 = $156.06 is worth it.

Does someone recommend a different card, brand?

MSI 8GB Armor cards cost $209.99
Core 1291 MHz
MEM 8000 MHz

The MSI 8GB Gaming cards cost $236.00
Core 1316 (OC mode)
MEM 8100 MHz

Comments

• vgmvgm Posts: 42Member
    Nope, it's not worth it as you can change the memory and core clock speeds using software (WattMan, MSI Afterburner, etc.).

But to be perfectly honest, buying ANY hardware to mine ETH is a mistake at this point in time. You will never yield as much ETH mining as you would by simply taking the cash you were going to spend on equipment and using it to buy ETH directly from an exchange.

A lot of haters will probably pipe up and say I'm wrong, but that's because they're either in denial that they've missed the ETH gravy train or they're using unrealistic profitability calculators. However, I know I'm correct from personal experience.

I built 2 rigs back in September, each with 6 RX480's (bios modded). I could have instead bought roughly 460 ETH at that time. It's been 5 and a half months of non-stop mining, and I have a little over 200 ETH. And keep in mind that the network difficulty was half of what it is now, so I used to yield over 2 ETH per day, and now I'm down to about 1.05 ETH per day. So there's very little chance I'll make it to 460 ETH before proof of stake takes over.
  • OverconOvercon Posts: 29Member
    So I have read, but from first of last year till now people have talked about Proof of stake and yet, it isn't here. Anyway, setting that aside, what about mining other currencies if ETH isn't worth it? Dogecoin or Litecoin etc.
  • bctopicsbctopics Posts: 316Member ✭✭
    Overcon said:

So I have read, but from first of last year till now people have talked about Proof of stake and yet, it isn't here. Anyway, setting that aside, what about mining other currencies if ETH isn't worth it? Dogecoin or Litecoin etc.

proof of stake is when mining the way we do now WON'T work for ethereum. You can read more up on it if you'd like to know more. whattomine.com will tell you what you want to know about profitability with whatever alt coins.
    vgm said:

Nope, it's not worth it as you can change the memory and core clock speeds using software (WattMan, MSI Afterburner, etc.).

But to be perfectly honest, buying ANY hardware to mine ETH is a mistake at this point in time. You will never yield as much ETH mining as you would by simply taking the cash you were going to spend on equipment and using it to buy ETH directly from an exchange.

A lot of haters will probably pipe up and say I'm wrong, but that's because they're either in denial that they've missed the ETH gravy train or they're using unrealistic profitability calculators. However, I know I'm correct from personal experience.

I built 2 rigs back in September, each with 6 RX480's (bios modded). I could have instead bought roughly 460 ETH at that time. It's been 5 and a half months of non-stop mining, and I have a little over 200 ETH. And keep in mind that the network difficulty was half of what it is now, so I used to yield over 2 ETH per day, and now I'm down to about 1.05 ETH per day. So there's very little chance I'll make it to 460 ETH before proof of stake takes over.

I'm going to have to disagree with you on that, If eth dropped in value over night or something majorly went wrong then you'd lose everything (or close to it). With hardware you lose a cryptocurrency sure but you won't lose the actual hardware or ability to mine something else. Too each there own, there are major benefits to each.
  • vgmvgm Posts: 42Member
    @bctopics I partially agree with your point, but we're on the Ethereum forum and my advice pertains to mining ETH specifically. If people are building rigs to mine in general, then there are plenty of other options once ETH moves to proof of stake. Right now ETC, ZEC, XMR are all somewhat comparable to ETH in terms of profitability. You could argue that over the life of the cards you will reach a ROI, and I agree with that 100%. However, that doesn't address opportunity cost.

Take my case for example. I could have bought about 460 ETH or bought my rigs, which are on course to earn roughly 350 ETH by September. So let's say 100 ETH is my opportunity cost for building the rigs. That means I have to mine at least 100 ETH worth of alternatives (ETC, ZEC, XMR) in order to benefit from this choice. With the current ETH price, 100 ETH doesn't look like much, but realize this is a moving target. If ETH takes off later this year, and most of us believe it will, the value of the 100 ETH I would have had also increases, and so does the amount of alternatives I need to mine to make up for that.

So basically, if you're neutral or bearish on ETH price, then by all means build rigs. But if you're an ETH bull, then the smart choice is to buy ETH.
  • BUTUZBUTUZ Posts: 64Member
    Eth isn't the only thing you can mine, it isn't even the most profitable right now - I aint mining it. Even when we go to proof of stake - there'll be plenty of other things to mine, there always has been, there always will be!
  • OverconOvercon Posts: 29Member
    Yeah, I am going to mine ZEC I think. It's value is higher currently and use it to purchase cheaper currencies that I think might rise again.
  • toothalicioustoothalicious Posts: 27Member
    edited February 23
    as long as you can make more money than the value of your rigs depreciation over time by either selling hashing power or mining some sort of coin/alt coin then you'll be profiting overall.. right now ETH is still profitable even with my relatively high electric bill.. $.12/kwh 900w 6 x rx 480's 178mh/s and I'm making about .55 eth daily... a little less than half of that going towards electric costs