Programming for dummies (smart contracts) - C or Java?

apesconcertapesconcert Member Posts: 2
Hi all! By way of introduction I'm a lawyer who's been into cryptos for the last 4 years, and I'm looking to expand my knowledge on smart contracts by attending a beginner's programming course. The choice is pretty limited - it's either Java or C. There's also a Python course available, but it's targetted at "intermediate level programmers". Which option should I pursue? I've set up mining rigs, mined several altcoins, thoroughly read through some crypto white papers and while I understand most of what's stated, I still feel that I have something missing, and besides, I'd really like to get into programming. Thanks in advance

Comments

• apesconcertapesconcert Member Posts: 2
    Bump - anyone?
  • fat_tailedfat_tailed LondonMember Posts: 3
    Hi apesconcert try treehouse.com - good fundamentals
  • o0ragman0oo0ragman0o Member, Moderator Posts: 1,253 mod
    @apesconcert I can't give any advice on face to face courses, but there are numerous entry level tutorials in the field regarding Solidity and general web development. There is no need for Java, C, Python or any other hard core languages as they aren't used by the Etherium Virtual Machine. However, Javascript is used to write the front-ends for DAPPs, which given how bad Javascript is, is the only drawback.

First stop is the Solidity docs
    Then open up Browser Solidity and code away.
  • JosefantomJosefantom Member Posts: 1

Hi all! By way of introduction I'm a lawyer who's been into cryptos for the last 4 years, and I'm looking to expand my knowledge on smart contracts by attending a beginner's programming course. The choice is pretty limited - it's either Java or C. There's also a Python course available, but it's targetted at "intermediate level programmers". Which option should I pursue? I've set up mining rigs, mined several altcoins, thoroughly read through some crypto white papers and while I understand most of what's stated, I still feel that I have something missing, and besides, I'd really like to get into programming. Thanks in advance

Lawyer in crypto. wow that sounds like cool career. lol..
    I mean really I would like to know about it. can you point out to any resources or your own portfolio to know about it
  • VladWulfVladWulf Member Posts: 8
    As someone who comes from a legal and programming background I recommend Javascript. Treehouse is a good choice.