Planing my first rig :) Suggestions/Help/Tips/Critic

MasterofdesastaMasterofdesasta Member Posts: 4
edited January 2017 in Mining
Hey friends! I already posted this in IoT & Hardware, but I felt like like it was in the wrong category and I couldn't change it any more, sorry.

I'm starting to plan my first Ethereum Rig and already did a lot of research because its of course a relative big investment for a student. Besides investing directly into BTC and Altcoins, I didn't have done anything like this, but I studied Computer Science with a Bachelor Degree and I will start my Master Degree this October, so I'm not that new too computers either :wink:

Well my first question would be, if you think that my rig, that I selected, would be working/needs some changes. Since many of you have much more knowledge about this topic then I have, I would really appreciate some tips or suggestions :smile:

This would be my rig:

6x 8GB MSI Radeon RX 480 Gaming X Aktiv PCIe 3.0 x16 (Retail)

6 GPU Open Air Mining Case Computer ETH Miner Frame Rig 6x Fan & Temp Monitor
http://www.ebay.de/itm/6-GPU-Open-Air-Mining-Case-Computer-ETH-Miner-Frame-Rig-6x-Fan-Temp-Monitor-/172408931367?hash=item28245f8427:g:GDwAAOSwcUBYUgTJ

ASRock H81 PRO BTC R2.0

Intel Celeron G1840 BOX(with standard Intel fan)

4GB Corsair Vengeance black DDR3-1600

SanDisk SSD PLUS 120GB

1300 Watt EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2 Modula 80+ Gold
//Is this enough?

USB3.0 PCI-E Express x1 bis x16 Extender Riser Karte Adapter USB Kabel Mining
(2 Options: 6 times a x1 to x16 OR 5 times a x1 to x16 AND a 16x to x16 extension )
//Whats better? I read that the "main" GPU, where u connect the monitor, u should use a x16 to x16 extension

Some Y-Molex 3 pin to get some of the fans together because the Motherboard doesnt have enough connections, as far as I can tell

My second question would be Profit/Money:

At the moment, since I already have a SSD, this setup would cost be around 2165 €/ $2312 . I used the site www.whattomine.com to calculate my theoretical earnings. The default setting for 6x RX 480 was 174 Mh/s so I just took this. Also to mention is that I have the possibility to bring my rig into a server cabinet with 15° C / 59 ° F and I dont need to pay any money for power so actually its just the hardware cost. With this settings I got a annual profit of $2,466.60 .

How realistic is this? I know that difficulty will get higher, but when the difficulty doubles, wont be the price double too? Well of course not 1:1, but at least go up?

Thanks for everyone who read this far. I really appreciate some Suggestions/Help/Tips/Critic :smile:
Post edited by Masterofdesasta on

Comments

• un4givenun4given Member Posts: 172 ✭✭
    Willkommen, also um deine Fragen zu beantworten...oups sorry...switching to english.
    The difficulty will for sure get higher and higher with each day and the price won't get that higher to compensate the losses through rising difficulty + ProofofStack is coming soon and maybe even ice age of mining (pls read up on this).

Regarding your setup, i wouldn't take MSI, but Sapphire Nitro Cards. Whats nice with amd, you can also mine ZEC, ZCL, XMR and other altcoins with those cards.

Regarding the Frame i would build yourself one from the wood scrap from local Bauhaus or use a cheap Bauhaus plastic Kiste um 3-4€. You will spare 195€, so lower investment and faster ROI.

The PSU Is enough. And EVGA gives 10 years warranty on those.

Yout only benefit at current point is that you wont pay for electricity. And remember, the money you want to invest into this RIG should be the gamble money, and not the one you will need in a month or 2. Mining is eine LANGFRISTIGE Investition. :smiley: one you finish your Masters in 2 years, you electricity wont be costless anymore, so take it also into account please.
  • MasterofdesastaMasterofdesasta Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for your detailed anwser!
    un4given said:

The difficulty will for sure get higher and higher with each day and the price won't get that higher to compensate the losses through rising difficulty + ProofofStack is coming soon and maybe even ice age of mining (pls read up on this).

I now did, thanks.
    un4given said:

Regarding your setup, i wouldn't take MSI, but Sapphire Nitro Cards.

I already thought about this, actually I talked with a friend of mine just 15 minutes ago about MSI vs Sapphire. I saw lots of Sapphire on some rigs, but also some MSI. So I wasn't sure. So I guess I will take this Sapphire now:
    8GB Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC Aktiv PCIe 3.0 x16 (Lite Retail)
    un4given said:

Whats nice with amd, you can also mine ZEC, ZCL, XMR and other altcoins with those cards.

Yeah that's what I thought my self. When ETH isn't worth it anymore i can still switch, probably ZEC, time will show.
    un4given said:

Yout only benefit at current point is that you wont pay for electricity. And remember, the money you want to invest into this RIG should be the gamble money, and not the one you will need in a month or 2. Mining is eine LANGFRISTIGE Investition. :smiley: one you finish your Masters in 2 years, you electricity wont be costless anymore, so take it also into account please.

I see it definitly as an investment and I don't need the money anytime soon. Also theres may be the possibility that after my Master, I can still use the server cabinet, because I'm on a research team there and lets call it "good connections". But even if this is not the case, until then, I should get my investment back and if its inefficient to mine when I need to pay for power, I still can sell the rig.

• MasterofdesastaMasterofdesasta Member Posts: 4
    edited January 2017
    The original price is oudated! With the Sapphire GPUs(each cost 15 € more) the new price is 2255€ / $2408
  • albertojamesalbertojames Member Posts: 13
    Consider buying Pandaminer -- it will give you 230 Mh/s for almost the same price.