Quick guide to flash your RX470/RX480 cards

2»

Comments

• CameronSCameronS Posts: 20Member
    I flashed both of my Sapphire Nitro+ RX470's and for some reason when I check one of the cards using GPU-Z one of them says 0 GPU Clock and 0 memory? But the other mines fine. The one with the messed up gpuclock and memory keeps rejecting shares. Any help? I have flashed them a second time again, etc.
  • GauravastarGauravastar Posts: 11Member
    Did you check the memory before flashing the cards ?
  • GauravastarGauravastar Posts: 11Member
    Check out video, it explains the easy way to overclock Rx 470 cards

• proaffproaff Posts: 20Member
    Hi,

I am currently running 6x Sapphire nitro RX 480 8gb OC. They are currently running at ~25Mh/s each. Unfortunately I just found out they have micron memory which seems to be hard to flash. Has anyone been able to flash micron memory? Is it possible? Or did I just spend 1350€ on wrong GPUs? :cold_sweat:

• jackboxjackbox Posts: 1Member
    edited April 13
    I have an MSI RX 470 8GB OC with Samsung memory. Can I just copy the 1500 timing strap to all higher straps and reflash the ROM to get better results? And then change speeds with MSI Afterburner (I have no power reading in Afterburner and voltage is locked and I cannot unlock no matter what I do). So far I have one card and it is also used for video out and stock it is getting around 21 to MH/s and dual mining Pacal Coin and getting just under 300 MH/s. Using Claymore dual miner.

• EtherealmsEtherealms Posts: 42Member
    Yes 1500 timing to all above is pretty much the go to way of doing it for the 470. I did the same for mine then overclocked with Afterburner. I sit stable at 27-28Mh/s.
  • geonika777geonika777 Posts: 4Member
  • Mikesco3Mikesco3 Posts: 10Member
    I have to say that I was getting better results before this BIOS, on either of the two variants of MSI RX480 8GB cards that I own.

What I mean by better results is that, before the BIOS mod and just by tweaking around with wattman (I can post the exact numbers later if someone is interested), I was averaging 95MH on four cards consuming about a total of 550W for all of the cards, Mobo, hard drive, etc..

After BIOS mod I could get 29MH per card averaging 110 to 120 MH for the full rig with 4 cards but consuming about 850W and even after undervolting with the MSI utility didn't get power down to about 550W without bringing MH below my previous numbers with wattman.

But I was also using the driver version 16.12 or something like that and that could have something to do with it also.
  • Dunny007Dunny007 Posts: 10Member
    Hi guys have got my 6 gpu rig running today am using z97 extreme 4 mb and 6 x asus dual rx480 8gb cards. Dual mining eth and decred 28mh eth and 850 mh per gpu currently after flashing anyone using these cards or give me any pointer as to if thats good? Any help pointer much appreciated
  • ciprianptciprianpt Posts: 170Member ✭✭
    Dunny007 said:

Hi guys have got my 6 gpu rig running today am using z97 extreme 4 mb and 6 x asus dual rx480 8gb cards. Dual mining eth and decred 28mh eth and 850 mh per gpu currently after flashing anyone using these cards or give me any pointer as to if thats good? Any help pointer much appreciated

Hey @Dunny007 , yes you hashrate is good, but you can get a bit more with ethereum like 29.5 or even more try to play with dcri, note that this will lower dcr to 800-810, what is the power usage?
    ciprianpt said:

Dunny007 said:

Hey @Dunny007 , yes you hashrate is good, but you can get a bit more with ethereum like 29.5 or even more try to play with dcri, note that this will lower dcr to 800-810, what is the power usage?
    I would try to monitor the watt usage, because even though your MH could be good, you might be consuming too many Watts to where if you had a slightly lower setting you would come out making more profit.
    I suggest using:
    https://cryptocompare.com/mining/calculator/eth

and plug in your actual numbers on the left (find out how much is the electrical company charging you per KW/h and plug the rig into a usage meter such as the Kill A Watt P3 or something like it.

Then your profit ratio percentage will be the number to consider on the link
    Here are my WattMan Settings if anyone wants them...
    They are currently producing average 23.8 MH/s on 4 RX 480 8Gb Cards consuming a total of 550W average.. (including Mobo, HD, PSU, RAM, CPU)
    Cards running at average 60 C average... with fans just right above 1100RPM
    Best MH per Watt performance I've been able to achieve so far...
    GPU      State 0  State 1  State 2  State 3  State 4  State 5  State 6   State 7
      Freq MHz       N/A  610 910  1075  1145  1190  1235  900 
       Volt Crtl mV  N/A  818 825  950  1012  1062  1112  800 

MEMORY                    
       Freq MHz  =  N/A  2000  N/A N/A  N/A  N/A  N/A  N/A 
       Volt Crtl mV  N/A 800   N/A  N/A  N/A  N/A  N/A N/A 

FAN                    
       Speed RPM  2000 2000            
       Min Acc Limit MHz  910              

TEMPERATURE                    
       Temp C  =  90 72             
       Powr Limt %  -30              
  • Dunny007Dunny007 Posts: 10Member
    Many thanks still having some teething problems w ith dual running as its stopped again today when im at work so will investigate later going to get a power plug so i can monitor them tho will prob drop and focus single mining as 2 cards are consistantly running high 70 degrees. Doesnt seem to much about on the cards i have though. Asus dual rx480 8gb cards. As always any help advice welcome cheers
  • EtherionEtherion Posts: 83Member
    edited April 25
    I need some help with moding. I can do the flash as the guid say but moding the bios is where I have a problem.

I have moded my MSI Gaming RX480 4Gb by copying the timing from 1500 up to 2000 and running 1303/1950 core/mem. I get 28.2MHs

but my new Asus Dual RX480 4Gb aren't so happy when I do that. I have dropped the memory speed to 1800 and still get gpu errors. is it the timing?
    Post edited by Etherion on
  • EtherionEtherion Posts: 83Member
    Ok looks like I got this working. copyed 1625 up and memory set to 1900. The Asus has Samsung memory
  • Beefcake9000Beefcake9000 Posts: 1Member
    edited April 25
    @Everyone, I've had a pretty rough time with Memory Strapping and getting the AMD driver(s) to be recognized afterwards(ie strapping 1500 mem value up to 2000). I have the following 3 rigs:
    1. HP z620 running one MSI 'blower style' rx480 4gb (modded successfully on win 10 pro x64).
    2. One MSI X99S SLI with 3xMSI 'blower style' rx480 4gb GPUs on win 10 64x--> Fails to load AMD driver from 16.1 - 17.4.3 after bios mod.
    3. One Gigabyte X99P rev 1.0 MB with one MSI 'blower style' rx480 4gb running on win 7 pro 64x--> Fails to load AMD driver from 16.1 - 17.4.3 after bios mod.
    Guys I've wasted several weekends trouble shooting with no luck on understanding why the drivers fail to load after the mod (uninstall/reinstall still nothing)... Pls help, note that I've tried the shift+restart and disabled driver sign but to no avail.. :'(
    Post edited by Beefcake9000 on