how can I Auto reboot windows 10 when miner crashes, and booth the miner again.

RabassoRabasso Member Posts: 150 ✭✭
How can I make my rig reboot automatically and start my miner, if the miner stops mining. I have minimum knowledge of windows.

I'm using windows 10 with Claymore 7.4

Thanks in advanced

Comments

• dddrgonzooodddrgonzooo Member Posts: 145 ✭✭
    Add -r 1 in your config file or bat with claymore commands, then create "reboot.bat" file and add "shutdown /r /t 5 /f" to that file.
  • RabassoRabasso Member Posts: 150 ✭✭

Add -r 1 in your config file or bat with claymore commands, then create "reboot.bat" file and add "shutdown /r /t 5 /f" to that file.

so this will reboot win and start the miner? thanks men!
    You said config or bat file, by bat you mean start.bat file?
    edited December 2016
    This will reboot windows. You can use task scheduler to start your bat for claymore.
  • yodiyodi Member Posts: 257 ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    after add -r 1
    you have to get windows auto login or desactivate user login , and get shortcut of your batfile to startup folder , get a delay at begin of your bat file : timeout /t 30
    Claymore Ethminer is not stable in win10 --> in win7 is better ! you will not lost gpu everytime
  • workwork Member Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭✭
    @yodi Claymore is perfectly stable on win10. Win7 offers no advantage here, that's just nonsense. In fact, driver failure recovery is improved in win10, and often times when a GPU fails to return an opencl call and hangs, simply closing and re-opening the mining software works.
    work said:

@yodi Claymore is perfectly stable on win10. Win7 offers no advantage here, that's just nonsense. In fact, driver failure recovery is improved in win10, and often times when a GPU fails to return an opencl call and hangs, simply closing and re-opening the mining software works.

thing is can that be done automatically?
    Rabasso said:

You said config or bat file, by bat you mean start.bat file?

However you start claymore "-r 1" needs to be there (in the command from cmd, your configure file in the claymore folder or a bat file that has the command used from cmd). When it fails, it will see the new bat file with the reboot command and restart the computer.

You can also use watchdog to restart claymore without rebooting the computer, but I have better luck doing the full reboot. If you use task scheduler to auto start claymore upon reboot you can enter your user name, password and a delay (I delay 1 minute).
    edited December 2016
    Rabasso said:

work said:

thing is can that be done automatically?
    Well, if you a driver crash on win7 that results in a blackscreen, nothing automated will restart it except something that physically/electrically pushes the reset or power button. On win10, you'll get driver crashes (even if it's on the main GPU) but not blackscreens, at least from my experience.

And yes, watchdog (-wd option) will automatically restart the mining software. However, IMO this setting is a bit dangerous if you aren't close to the rigs so you can reboot manually.
    edited December 2016
    work said:

for me , windows10 lose gpu every 5 ~10 minutes , and not recovery driver everytime, so it freeze claymore (even with TdrDelay in registry) , if you get it stable good for you , probably depend of gpu and bios mod. but same drivers (i try different ones) , i get win7 never lose gpu , and win 10 reboot every 10 minutes , so yes win7 offer avantage , and i 'm not the only one in this case ^^
    (H81BTC pro , rx480 nitro+ 8go jukebox vdrop+ bios mod for 11260-07 (x3) and v4 for 11260-01 (x2) , powered riser with motherboard molex powered to,pci to gen1 in bios)

@work agree with that , blackscreen comes on win7 but very rarely if you auto reboot around 12hours. (in my case)
    when i m out long time i prefer run zec miner , it never crash
    @yodi makes sense. Whatever works, right?

I personally use -r -1 -wd 0. That means if a GPU goes down, it'll just keep mining with the others. Throw in my custom notification system that alerts me if a GPU is down, and it's perfect for me. Rare for a card to go down, but when it happens it never takes the whole rig with it (it sometimes will with -r 0/default), and then I can remote in and restart when I have a moment.
    do you update win10 ? what 's your stuff ?
    i'd love to run with windows 10 but can't :/
    yodi said:

do you update win10 ? what 's your stuff ?
    i'd love to run with windows 10 but can't :/

I run Win 10 LTSB on all our rigs and I control updates thru a central WSUS.
    edited December 2016
    i used LTSB to :s
    do you get rx480 nitro on some rig to ?
  • informatussinformatuss Member Posts: 3
    @work thank you for your line "-r -1 -wd 0" it helped with my freezing reboots.

Can you please explain "custom notification system that alerts me if a GPU is down" I would be very grateful.
  • lablettlablett Member Posts: 251 ✭✭
    if your system is crashing then you are pushing one or more of your cards too hard and hence the crash. Check HWINFO first for hardware errors and throttle back cards appropriately. The next step is to stress test each as one or more is causing you grief. I just removed one card from a rig and it is rock solid now.
    @lablett I know but sometimes it's 24hours without any problem.
    I've got problem when I close claymore whole machine is freezing then and I need to hard reset it to make it work again.
  • lablettlablett Member Posts: 251 ✭✭
    One thing you could try is to set a property on the claymore exe. Right mouse click on EthDcrMiner64.exe and select properties. In the pop-up dialog then select compatibility. Now look for the option "Run this program as an administrator". now click ok to apply changes. Next time you start mining you will get an additional command prompt. This a long shot but may help.
    @lablett unfortunately this doesn't work. I'm doing hard reset on rig that had one card down, I closed claymore and whole rig freezed.
  • mjmeansmjmeans Member Posts: 58
    If Windows is freezing then there is no way to do this with a batch file. You need a hardware watchdog timer. Some mobo's (usually server class) have a watchdog feature that will perform a hardware reset if the system hangs. You might also be able to find an add-in card or USB device and driver that can do it.
  • BladeSEndBladeSEnd Member Posts: 1
    Okay, I'm just going to compile what you guys are saying with my own knowledge of windows 10 for a definitive answer. First off, run "netplwiz" in the run box (windows key + R) and get rid of having to enter a password, while still having a password. This can only be done on non domain joined pc's. Next you have claymore starting with a batch file correct? well make a shortcut to that batch file and type in the run box "shell:startup" - no quotes, and paste that handy little shortcut in there. So far we've got claymore starting with windows and windows auto logging in. From what this thread is saying that batch file we made a shortcut to needs to contain "-r 1". We would also need a "reboot.bat" file located in the miner directory. In side the reboot.bat file, there needs to be a restart, and the command for that is "Shutdown /r /t 5" Where the /r means restart and /t 5 is time in seconds before the action happens. You may also want to look at other commands claymore miner has to offer, such as the -ethi command, to lower gpu intensity, say if a card keeps crashing until you have a chance to reconfigure it. A complete list of commands can be found for claymore here
  • mjmeansmjmeans Member Posts: 58
    That should work for most cases, but will not work on a PC hard freeze. A hard freeze requires a watchdog timer capable of performing a hardware reset of the PC just like you would if you press the reset button. HP servers with iLO are one such system. This system runs a small microcontroller and memory (separate from the CPU) built onto the motherboard with it's own protected OS and it's job is exclusively for system management functions, including performing a hardware reset on the main processor. There are USB driven devices that can also perform a hardware reset and are designed mining: http://a.co/8h4FO4L

But more importantly, if you are having hard freezes, then you are tweaking your GPU's too tightly. Relax a bit. Don't try to find that last 0.2% profit. Difficulty and algos change all the time and if you are running that close to the edge, you will spending endless time re-flashing and tweaking all your GPU's over and over again. Reliability is far better than that last tiny profit amount since you will lose much more on an overnight hang that you could possibly make back in a year for that tiny increase in profit.