XFX RX 480 GTR 8GB Black Edition Bios LOW POWER +29 Mh/s

3x3cUt0r3x3cUt0r BogotáPosts: 10Member
edited October 2016 in Mining
Hi everyone

I want to share with you guys my mod, it works in all my cards, i used the one with the lowest ASIC (76,8 %) to show how this bios behave, i'm sharing the most stable bios because; i have a custom one for each card, some with lower mem volt and/or core volt.

I was aiming for the highest Mh/s with stock volts, then undervolted as much as possible, those settings allow the card to run at lower power consumption with ZERO GPU Memory errors.

Ignore the Polaris BIOS Editor because those are test settings are not stable (MEM volt is too low), here is a screenshot for solo mining ETH:

Dual mining is good too:

Tested for 48 hours and so far no reboots, driver crashes, etc, 100% stable in all my cards, you may need to lower volts settings or increase them a bit.

Hope you guys find those useful.

Enjoy.

3x3cUt0r
Post edited by 3x3cUt0r on

Comments

• lefferalganlefferalgan Posts: 16Member
    Hi,

I dont have these cards ! But Thx for the share !

++
  • jenia1jenia1 Posts: 17Member
    nicely done! will this also work on the XFX 480 8GB RS version?
  • HamboneAndProudHamboneAndProud Posts: 4Member
    edited October 2016
    Works fine with my XFX 480 8gb GTR Black Edition. Even with the one with below 70% Asic quality.
    Props for your upload!
    jenia1 said:

nicely done! will this also work on the XFX 480 8GB RS version?

The difference between GTR Black Edition and RS is pretty much the ASIC quality of the GPU chip. That's it more or less. If you have an OK ASIC quality it should work
  • wonderfullifewonderfullife Posts: 99Member
    edited October 2016
    So the RS has better ASIC? My black has 69.5 . I also have a non-black GTR that has 72 ASIC.
    Thanks for the BIOS.

edited October 2016

So the RS has better ASIC? My black has 69.5 . I also have a non-black GTR that has 72 ASIC.
    Thanks for the BIOS.

No the gtr has a better asic quality Distribution. It cost 20 bucks more because of it. 5 out of 6 of my cards have over 72% Asic quality.
    Post edited by HamboneAndProud on
    ok thats good news... beacause im kinda newbie in all this area)

so when you flash do you do it via windows or bios? i read in some places that flashing in windows is highly unrecommended. yet i saw some1 doing it.. so im abit confused.. is it safe?
  • 3x3cUt0r3x3cUt0r BogotáPosts: 10Member
    jenia1 said:

ok thats good news... beacause im kinda newbie in all this area)

so when you flash do you do it via windows or bios? i read in some places that flashing in windows is highly unrecommended. yet i saw some1 doing it.. so im abit confused.. is it safe?

Hi Jenia1

I flash in windows but use the cmd with elevated privileges (admin), google "atiflash guide", is fairly simple but scary the first time, don't worry if you mess the bios up your video card has a tiny switch close to the power connector and you can hot swap the bios (means you can swap even if the video card is running).

1 - Unzip atiflash and run CMD with elevated privileges.
    2 - go to the folder atiflash folder (with CMD) and run "atiflash -i" it will show you video card.
    3 - now "run atiflash -f -p 0 biosname.rom" and wait until it finishes (about 20 seconds).
    4 - restart the pc and test it.
    thanks for the instructions and guidance! i am about to do this and trying to read as much as i can before doing so, not to encounter any issues im not ready for.
    i would like to ask you one last thing. what are my chances of locking/bricking it if i use a 70+ ASIC quality card for the flash?
    More asic is usually better, this works in all my cards i own 9 right now, some with even more agressive settings.

Is pretty mucho sale.
    I mean, pretty much safe.
    edited October 2016
    @3x3cUt0r I've got a question. Does VDDC ever get below 1.0 Volt ? Or do you have to manually modify it with Trixx or Afterburner ? My Sapphire Nitro+ OC has the same problem
    Depends on the card some of my cards go to 0.95-1.0
    edited October 2016
    sad news. I just flashed my card and the MH/s dropped by more than half. I used 76.1% ASIC card. the card is the XFX RX 480 8gb RS series... any idea why it didn't work? well i guess its because we have different models but still.. hmm.. maybe i should try and edit the bios myself? problem is i never done this before so if theres a guide for this somewhere it would be cool if you could link it
    Post edited by jenia1 on
  • wonderfullifewonderfullife Posts: 99Member
    Lowering my core under 1200 seems to affect the hashrate although not by much. Both cards are now at ~30.2Mh/s while drawing 130W from the wall. Upping the memory past 2145 doesn't improve hashrate, it just brings instability. 1200 core / 2150 mem with 1.055V core.

Also the GTR has different PCB and better power delivery so this rom is not gonna work nice on the RS models.
  • bhanu545bhanu545 Posts: 52Member
    I have GPUs which has 64% Asics, do you suggest me to return them? The xfx one has 65% and it dsnt give me anymore than 28mh/s as i cannot edit offset.
    I have a 80.8 % ASIC thats far worse than other with 66.8 %.
  • bhanu545bhanu545 Posts: 52Member
    3x3cUt0r said:

I have a 80.8 % ASIC thats far worse than other with 66.8 %.

Did you edit the rom in hexeditor for xfx 480 8gb one u posted above? does it allow editing offset? If its for samsung memory i would give it a try on mine.
  • CoreolCoreol Posts: 30Member
    @3x3cUt0r Good job and thanks for sharing!
    What's the power draw you get @ wall using the modded bios?
    My 6 card rig currently runs @1150w wall - all flashed with this rom. Seems a bit high to me since I get 850W on 6x Reference card rig (with about the same speed).
    I understand that you tweak each card separately - did you modify voltages and core clock individually after flashing? If so, how far could you go down before it became unstable or your speed decreased?
  • lordcedrichlordcedrich Posts: 15Member
    edited December 2016
    Is there someone have make it 31+ stable using XFX RX480 GTR Black ed.?
    Post edited by lordcedrich on
  • HigherHigher Posts: 2Member
    edited December 2016
    Guys, i got a rx 480 XFX GTR non black edition, can i flash it to this rom? I just use for gaming and i want it to be more efficient. Please respond.
  • workwork Posts: 2,075Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Higher not a great idea to flash a mining ROM for gaming.
  • HigherHigher Posts: 2Member
    work said:

@Higher not a great idea to flash a mining ROM for gaming.

Thanks mate.
  • lordcedrichlordcedrich Posts: 15Member
    How do i know what is the value that im going to use for lowering the voltage? Is there default value for that? Tnx
  • lummujajlummujaj Posts: 33Member
    i dont understant how other reach more than +2100mhz memory speed , and i cannot go above 1850, if i go more than 1850 , i see some like different pixel colors and freezing , also ive tried to mod bios by myselft , best i was able to do was 27.7mhs , but when i tried dual mining ETH + LBC , lbc not working it gave me some errors i didnt understand tham , like invalid shares , and sometimes when ive tried 1880mhz in ether it gave me an overclocking error at pool ...

My gpu is nitro+ samsung rx 480 4gb ?
    any help ?
  • kemo6600kemo6600 Posts: 62Member
    lummujaj said:

i dont understant how other reach more than +2100mhz memory speed , and i cannot go above 1850, if i go more than 1850 , i see some like different pixel colors and freezing , also ive tried to mod bios by myselft , best i was able to do was 27.7mhs , but when i tried dual mining ETH + LBC , lbc not working it gave me some errors i didnt understand tham , like invalid shares , and sometimes when ive tried 1880mhz in ether it gave me an overclocking error at pool ...

any help ?

Only something memory can do 2100+, Elpida do 2000-2050 on average and hynix around 1880-1950, you need to check what memory type you have in GPUz and inform about what kind of bios you are using
    kemo6600 said:

lummujaj said:

any help ?

Only something memory can do 2100+, Elpida do 2000-2050 on average and hynix around 1880-1950, you need to check what memory type you have in GPUz and inform about what kind of bios you are using
    i ve said its samsung memory ...
    lummujaj said:

kemo6600 said:

lummujaj said:

any help ?

Which strap
    kemo6600 said:

lummujaj said:

kemo6600 said:

lummujaj said:

any help ?

Which strap
    this is my bios , i cannot goes past this
    lummujaj said:

You copied the 1500 strap all the way up , with Samsung you should use the 1750 strap
    kemo6600 said:

lummujaj said:

You copied the 1500 strap all the way up , with Samsung you should use the 1750 strap

Ive got this bios in vbios mod collection from anoraks, low power consumtion one , i get 27.2mhs 75w , but i want more . So what you proppose , 1150 clock and 2050 mhz , can you edit that bios in this way and upload ? Im not that good at editing