URGENT ALL MINERS: DoS Attack

agent412agent412 Posts: 216Member, Moderator mod
edited September 2016 in Mining
Post edited by agent412 on
«1

Comments

  • JukeboxJukebox Posts: 428Member ✭✭✭
    Thanks for info!
  • RedHouseRedHouse Posts: 72Member
    edited September 2016
    This may have started about 8 AM Eastern time. I have noticed a drop in share production since then on Nanopool.

    Nanopool tweeted a DoS attack about noon.

    Who would do this and why?
  • CalivetCalivet Posts: 194Member ✭✭
    the angry hacker who lost all respect for ETH? i only guessing.
  • HelioxHeliox Posts: 606Member, Moderator mod
    edited September 2016
    Calivet said:

    the angry hacker who lost all respect for ETH? i only guessing.

    Script kiddies..


    For the ones out there with problems, you have to extremely raise eth Gas price in order to make the chain work properly again.


    Greetings.
  • CalivetCalivet Posts: 194Member ✭✭
    @Heliox you're no fun. We were speculating here. lol B)
  • LickMyNvidiaLickMyNvidia Posts: 33Member
    RedHouse said:



    Who would do this and why?

    Script Kiddies sitting in their parents basement, trying to occupy their time in-between circle jerks. I bet they are laughing so hard about causing an interruption they pissed them selves. I KNOW YOU PISSED YOUR SELVES!

    On the bright side fixing issues like this today will probably be better than trying to deal with them tomorrow.
  • newmznewmz AustraliaPosts: 299Member ✭✭✭
    I don't think it's just "script kiddies". I think there is a small group who believes in what Vitalik Buterin calls "bitcoin dominance maximalism" - which means they think BTC should be the only crypto coin and they want to destroy the "competition". Basically the more ETH succeeds the madder they get and they are looking for ways to disrupt and destroy it.

    I know this sounds paranoid and like a conspiracy theory but honestly - if you read the way they talk about Ethereum on BTC related forums and websites - many people hate Ethereum. They are basically jealous and see it as an upstart. I've read some very biased reporting on these websites where all they report about Ethereum is negative things. I honestly think there are people who are deliberately trying to smash Ethereum down.

    There is also the motivation that people can make huge money from doing stuff like this by manipulating the price. If you know that you can slow mining or make people very worried, you can effect the price and bet on the price dropping on an exchange.
  • RabassoRabasso Posts: 135Member
    newmz said:

    I don't think it's just "script kiddies". I think there is a small group who believes in what Vitalik Buterin calls "bitcoin dominance maximalism" - which means they think BTC should be the only crypto coin and they want to destroy the "competition". Basically the more ETH succeeds the madder they get and they are looking for ways to disrupt and destroy it.

    I know this sounds paranoid and like a conspiracy theory but honestly - if you read the way they talk about Ethereum on BTC related forums and websites - many people hate Ethereum. They are basically jealous and see it as an upstart. I've read some very biased reporting on these websites where all they report about Ethereum is negative things. I honestly think there are people who are deliberately trying to smash Ethereum down.

    There is also the motivation that people can make huge money from doing stuff like this by manipulating the price. If you know that you can slow mining or make people very worried, you can effect the price and bet on the price dropping on an exchange.

    I do agree with this point, this is a big concerted attack on ETH, almost sure by the ETC haters. And sure there are the sharks swimming around feeding on the tide changes.

    Something is clear, we need to decentralize, everyone doing pools just doesn't help the cause. I think i will start my own pool and cap it with a max number of miners, then franchise it... there that is a business on its own, charge 0.75% and you got a huge market. it just needs to happen.
  • galileogalileo Posts: 9Member
    agent412 said:
    In this article Vitalik says: The short-term fix is for users, including miners, enterprise users (including exchanges) and individuals to run geth with the flags:

    --cache 1024 --targetgaslimit 1500000 --gasprice 20000000000

    Ok, so where i put this code lines, where? Can someone be more clearly please?

  • RabassoRabasso Posts: 135Member
    galileo said:

    agent412 said:
    In this article Vitalik says: The short-term fix is for users, including miners, enterprise users (including exchanges) and individuals to run geth with the flags:

    --cache 1024 --targetgaslimit 1500000 --gasprice 20000000000

    Ok, so where i put this code lines, where? Can someone be more clearly please?

    if you run geth. put the following in the terminal

    geth --cache 1024 --targetgaslimit 1500000 --gasprice 20000000000
  • galileogalileo Posts: 9Member
    Rabasso said:

    galileo said:

    agent412 said:
    In this article Vitalik says: The short-term fix is for users, including miners, enterprise users (including exchanges) and individuals to run geth with the flags:

    --cache 1024 --targetgaslimit 1500000 --gasprice 20000000000

    Ok, so where i put this code lines, where? Can someone be more clearly please?

    if you run geth. put the following in the terminal

    geth --cache 1024 --targetgaslimit 1500000 --gasprice 20000000000
    I try it and did not work, I open the terminal pointing to the folder where geth.exe is, typed in terminal the code, and still not sync. The message the terminal say is 'timed out DAO fork-check, dropping'. I wait more than 10 minutes and no block have been downloaded.
  • RabassoRabasso Posts: 135Member
    galileo said:

    Rabasso said:

    galileo said:

    agent412 said:
    In this article Vitalik says: The short-term fix is for users, including miners, enterprise users (including exchanges) and individuals to run geth with the flags:

    --cache 1024 --targetgaslimit 1500000 --gasprice 20000000000

    Ok, so where i put this code lines, where? Can someone be more clearly please?

    if you run geth. put the following in the terminal

    geth --cache 1024 --targetgaslimit 1500000 --gasprice 20000000000
    I try it and did not work, I open the terminal pointing to the folder where geth.exe is, typed in terminal the code, and still not sync. The message the terminal say is 'timed out DAO fork-check, dropping'. I wait more than 10 minutes and no block have been downloaded.
    use parity, i was there 5 days ago and the only way i could make it work was installing parity in my Win machine then export the chain data into my mac reimported and wait out the blocks to pass now im all sync up, but it took me 5 days.
  • pantadorpantador Posts: 45Member
    Hi, I don't know if this is related. I've made 2 transactions recently, from myetherwallet.com eth addres to my exchange address. Both transactions showed up in etherscan.io, but both listed as pending transaction. This is the first time I'm having a pending transaction. Anything wrong? Is it on myetherwallet.com side? What should I do? It's been 23 minutes, at the moment. https://etherscan.io/address/0x44033bc9313c7c7bdcde45fc870521d70fe50975

    Thanks.
  • tuppydogtuppydog Posts: 26Member
    pantador said:

    Hi, I don't know if this is related. I've made 2 transactions recently, from myetherwallet.com eth addres to my exchange address. Both transactions showed up in etherscan.io, but both listed as pending transaction. This is the first time I'm having a pending transaction. Anything wrong? Is it on myetherwallet.com side? What should I do? It's been 23 minutes, at the moment. https://etherscan.io/address/0x44033bc9313c7c7bdcde45fc870521d70fe50975

    Thanks.

    I have the same problem, no currency shows up, but yet I have a pending transaction to myethwallet, and it shows up on the etherscan.io, but I noticed it says "0 mined", so it may just be a huge delay.
  • pantadorpantador Posts: 45Member
    Confirmed eventually. But it took more than an hour to reach 50 blocks confirmation on the receiving address.
  • rincerince Posts: 13Member
    Even with the latest geth version my geth instance fails keeping up with the blockchain when there are blocks including "attack transaction". :( The hardware isn't the most powerful but before those attacks there were no problems. I am running witch cache 1024 setting :/
  • tuppydogtuppydog Posts: 26Member
    pantador said:

    Hi, I don't know if this is related. I've made 2 transactions recently, from myetherwallet.com eth addres to my exchange address. Both transactions showed up in etherscan.io, but both listed as pending transaction. This is the first time I'm having a pending transaction. Anything wrong? Is it on myetherwallet.com side? What should I do? It's been 23 minutes, at the moment. https://etherscan.io/address/0x44033bc9313c7c7bdcde45fc870521d70fe50975

    Thanks.

    I did receive the transaction, it just took a long time because of the delays.
  • SpydrMstrmndSpydrMstrmnd Posts: 72Member
    edited September 2016
    Still seems like somethings up with memory. My geth rig is older hardware and takes time to sync, etc, but nothing like now. Just installed an SSD along side the main HDD and am watching memory usage reach maximum and the HDD spool up to 100% presumably because of the page file.

    :/

    I'm sure they'll iron it out soon.
  • Swimmer63Swimmer63 Posts: 34Member
    I can't get GETH or Mist to update. Have not been able to for the past 48 hours.
  • tutorialevideotutorialevideo RomaniaPosts: 78Member
  • galileogalileo Posts: 9Member
    Finally my 0.8.1 wallet have sync. What I do was download this geth file https://github.com/ethereum/go-ethereum/releases/tag/v1.4.13 (in my case windows file), change it for my geth file, and delete / rename the chaindata to re-sync again from the begining.
  • Swimmer63Swimmer63 Posts: 34Member
    Can you use parity with Mist on windows?
  • Swimmer63Swimmer63 Posts: 34Member
    edited September 2016
  • imperialteximperialtex Posts: 100Member
    Who's need Geth ????
    Just use tool ( claymore,... ) and mine with pool. They'll pay for u.
  • Jotun70Jotun70 Posts: 107Member ✭✭

    Who's need Geth ????
    Just use tool ( claymore,... ) and mine with pool. They'll pay for u.

    What do you think the pools use?
  • RabassoRabasso Posts: 135Member
    we are being hammered again, even with the new geth.... can tell because my parity is going bananas with the peers, it comes and goes...and the blocks don't come in a timely matter... so some nodes will be stalling.
  • EthereumMinereuEthereumMinereu Posts: 37Member
    Pff im turning nuts, cannot get my linux node to synch up, always +- 1000 blocks behind so many " timed out DAO fork-check, dropping" errors..
  • joaogti36joaogti36 Posts: 32Member
    switch to parity
Sign In or Register to comment.